WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Baxter State Park trail signs auction

Might be of interest for those that collect trail artifacts/memorabilia: https://bangordailynews.com/2019/11/...er-state-park/
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 11-06-2019 at 20:06.

Registered User Nolan "Guido" Jordan's Avatar

I can only imagine that one of those signs could be such a great Christmas gift for someone.

EDIT: How much do you think the Katahdin sign would go for?
    Last edited by Nolan "Guido" Jordan; 11-07-2019 at 09:47.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Big mistake using some unheard of auction site. Most signs went for a couple of hundred dollars. They could have gotten hundreds more on eBay....
    Be Prepared

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    Big mistake using some unheard of auction site. Most signs went for a couple of hundred dollars. They could have gotten hundreds more on eBay....
    The auction doesn't end until Dec 5, so I doubt the prices you see are going to be the final sales prices. If BSP is using the basic option (which it seems they are), the site is free and all the proceeds will go to the organization rather than paying ebay/paypal around 10 to 15%. It's a pretty small market, not likely to attract attention other than from people who already have an interest.

I expect BSP has plenty of organizations lined up for an old summit sign. It gets replaced every several years as winter conditions really beat it up. I expect there are a few ice ax dents from winter climbers.

The signs tend to sell to a small group but the ones with good graphics usually go for big dollars. AMC does it routinely around this time of year and their signs sell for big bucks. RMC in Randolph also auctions signs when they build up inventory. MATC will not sell signs, they feel selling signs creates a market for them. Unfortunately folks do pick up or steal signs and they end up in the clutter. Eventually someone sells them not knowing where they came from. I don't thing the site its listed on is big issue for the bidders as its usually members of the group rather than the general public.

The WMNF does not sell signs I expect the paperwork to do so would be significant. They started switching to laminated plastic signs a few year back but seem to have gone back to some dense grain "old growth" wood. Definitely nothing local as the ring count is too high for most eastern wood.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

I misread it. I thought the auctions already ended. Looks like the prices are getting pretty high. Yes, eBay's 10% cut is obnoxious, but I believe the worldwide market eBay creates is still in both the seller's and buyer's interest. Take me. I like trail signs, search for them all the time on eBay and Etsy and have amassed a nice collection over the last 15 years. I've never heard of this site or knew BSP did this! There are scores of nuts like me, and most have probably never heard of the AMC or BSP.
    Be Prepared

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I expect BSP has plenty of organizations lined up for an old summit sign. It gets replaced every several years as winter conditions really beat it up. I expect there are a few ice ax dents from winter climbers.

The signs tend to sell to a small group but the ones with good graphics usually go for big dollars. AMC does it routinely around this time of year and their signs sell for big bucks. RMC in Randolph also auctions signs when they build up inventory. MATC will not sell signs, they feel selling signs creates a market for them. Unfortunately folks do pick up or steal signs and they end up in the clutter. Eventually someone sells them not knowing where they came from. I don't thing the site its listed on is big issue for the bidders as its usually members of the group rather than the general public.

The WMNF does not sell signs I expect the paperwork to do so would be significant. They started switching to laminated plastic signs a few year back but seem to have gone back to some dense grain "old growth" wood. Definitely nothing local as the ring count is too high for most eastern wood.
    MATC places the Katahdin summit sign and it will not be sold when it gets replaced...unless current club policy changes.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    I misread it. I thought the auctions already ended. Looks like the prices are getting pretty high. Yes, eBay's 10% cut is obnoxious, but I believe the worldwide market eBay creates is still in both the seller's and buyer's interest. Take me. I like trail signs, search for them all the time on eBay and Etsy and have amassed a nice collection over the last 15 years. I've never heard of this site or knew BSP did this! There are scores of nuts like me, and most have probably never heard of the AMC or BSP.
    Point taken as the potential market is obviously much bigger and the site better known. And ebay charitable auctions are basically free as well as they issue a credit for the final value fee. Why BSP and Friends of BSP use 32auctions vs ebay I don't know. It may just be an easier auction site to deal with.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

I didn't know eBay refunds fees to non-profits. They may not either.
    Be Prepared

Images
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 11-10-2019 at 10:11.

e-bay sucks as a seller - you are basically dependent on buyers not trying to screw you - to keep buyers happy almost NO complaints are resolved in the sellers favor. buyers are able to screw vendors at will.

32auctions is set up from the get go as a site for fundraising.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by D2maine View Post
    e-bay sucks as a seller - you are basically dependent on buyers not trying to screw you - to keep buyers happy almost NO complaints are resolved in the sellers favor. buyers are able to screw vendors at will.

32auctions is set up from the get go as a site for fundraising.
    This would be my thinking as well.

++ New Posts ++