Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1. #1
    Registered User ZiggySours's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-04-2018
    Location
    Richmond,Virginia
    Age
    35
    Posts
    19

    Default crazy me and the AT this weekend

    So a friend and I have been sectioning SNP the past to season's and had about 28 miles to Front royal to get out of the park. We had planned to go Nov8-10. We were supposed to do the full 28 and finish. But cold weather was coming in and i suggested to break it into two sections. So we were Just going to do Pass mt shelter to Gravel springs hut, which is roughly 14 ish miles and then a mile and a half back to the car. Then thats when the weather changed again and we were expecting a overnight low of 19 deg. I tried to half talk my dude out of it, i was not really looking forward to it but i still was because its the AT and it would be a good story. We both have proper gear that can handle the situation so i said ok ill go be cold in the woods. This is where the story gets a bit crazy. We get there Friday running out of daylight and make a last min decision to flip the order and hike sobo because then it would only be a .2 to the shelter to set up. So as were strolling up im thinking there is not going to be anyone at this shelter you go to be crazy or dedicated to be out here. Thats when i see a small fire and a head lamp glowing in the distance. As we walk up ther is a tall slender African man like From Africa. He has some gnarly gear and seems kind of off puting as we approach him and say hello. We get a weird vibe and excuse our selves to hang go set up at the tent pad. He informs us that we should stay in the shelter plenty of room we look over and see two full packs. He says oh theres not two people out here just me. We say no its fine we like to tent and head up as we head up i say dude has two pack? did he kill someone and take their stuff or is he got someone in the woods waiting to kill us. Pretty extra but i mean this dudes clothing and gear were s h i t and he did not really look like he belonged out there so it was a little off putting. After setting up we head to the shelter to cook and eat and give this guy a chance and maybe see what his deal is plus he had fire. So at this point we start cooking and making convo. He tells us he has walked from springer is averaging 8 miles a day, he has two packs he carries one on the front one on the back. In these packs he has mostly college books, a lap top, two weeks of food. No sleeping pad NO SLEEPING BAG. Now thats the facts condenced version but dude is out her with a crap blanket you might have on the back of your couch at your house. He says he has been sleeping in the shelters and using his tent as a blanket and the crappy couch blanket. I asked him why not a sleeping bag and he said he had no room. I then told him he would not need room if he froze to death out here. Maybe get some pdf books and drop the weight. He also went on to talk about weird algorithmic neumerical equations and number sequences so im pretty sure he is possibly having a mental episode. I mean the guy was nice enough just a little off he was cold soaking and eating frozen food and said he was headed to maine. I dont think hes gonna make it . Could never get a start time from him he said he was from Georgia and Kentucky and Tenn. this changes sever times over the night. So we go to bed and my friend and are are basically *** this guy is prob gonna be a popcicle in the morning. That night my mercury stat read 9 deg. I woke up to a bear drudging around my tent around 3am. Next morning guy wakes us up at 6am tells us he is leaving and had made us a fire. we got up and it was a raging fire going and he was gone. Dude was weird but nice Im really kind of worried about him honestly. So if any one sees this guy tell him to either get some gear or get off trail before he gets seriously injured or dies out there i wrote about him in the shelter book. As for the rest of my hike we banged the 15 and got out of there so as to avoid sleeping out there another night. Now i have a sore throat lol. It was prob dumb to go but it was an adventure none the less but i will say i dont think sleeping in 9 deg is my fav thing to do i was warm but i had some much gear on and was balled up and i get super clostrophobic so lol not my cup of tea. Any way happy trails Ziggy

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZiggySours View Post
    So a friend and I have been sectioning SNP the past to season's and had about 28 miles to Front royal to get out of the park. We had planned to go Nov8-10. We were supposed to do the full 28 and finish. But cold weather was coming in and i suggested to break it into two sections. So we were Just going to do Pass mt shelter to Gravel springs hut, which is roughly 14 ish miles and then a mile and a half back to the car. Then thats when the weather changed again and we were expecting a overnight low of 19 deg.

    I tried to half talk my dude out of it, i was not really looking forward to it but i still was because its the AT and it would be a good story. We both have proper gear that can handle the situation so i said ok ill go be cold in the woods. This is where the story gets a bit crazy.

    We get there Friday running out of daylight and make a last min decision to flip the order and hike sobo because then it would only be a .2 to the shelter to set up. So as were strolling up im thinking there is not going to be anyone at this shelter you go to be crazy or dedicated to be out here. Thats when i see a small fire and a head lamp glowing in the distance. As we walk up ther is a tall slender African man like From Africa. He has some gnarly gear and seems kind of off puting as we approach him and say hello.

    We get a weird vibe and excuse our selves to hang go set up at the tent pad. He informs us that we should stay in the shelter plenty of room we look over and see two full packs. He says oh theres not two people out here just me. We say no its fine we like to tent and head up as we head up i say dude has two pack? did he kill someone and take their stuff or is he got someone in the woods waiting to kill us. Pretty extra but i mean this dudes clothing and gear were s h i t and he did not really look like he belonged out there so it was a little off putting.

    After setting up we head to the shelter to cook and eat and give this guy a chance and maybe see what his deal is plus he had fire. So at this point we start cooking and making convo. He tells us he has walked from springer is averaging 8 miles a day, he has two packs he carries one on the front one on the back. In these packs he has mostly college books, a lap top, two weeks of food. No sleeping pad NO SLEEPING BAG. Now thats the facts condenced version but dude is out her with a crap blanket you might have on the back of your couch at your house.

    He says he has been sleeping in the shelters and using his tent as a blanket and the crappy couch blanket. I asked him why not a sleeping bag and he said he had no room. I then told him he would not need room if he froze to death out here. Maybe get some pdf books and drop the weight. He also went on to talk about weird algorithmic neumerical equations and number sequences so im pretty sure he is possibly having a mental episode. I mean the guy was nice enough just a little off he was cold soaking and eating frozen food and said he was headed to maine. I dont think hes gonna make it . Could never get a start time from him he said he was from Georgia and Kentucky and Tenn. this changes sever times over the night.

    So we go to bed and my friend and are are basically *** this guy is prob gonna be a popcicle in the morning. That night my mercury stat read 9 deg. I woke up to a bear drudging around my tent around 3am. Next morning guy wakes us up at 6am tells us he is leaving and had made us a fire. we got up and it was a raging fire going and he was gone. Dude was weird but nice Im really kind of worried about him honestly. So if any one sees this guy tell him to either get some gear or get off trail before he gets seriously injured or dies out there i wrote about him in the shelter book.

    As for the rest of my hike we banged the 15 and got out of there so as to avoid sleeping out there another night. Now i have a sore throat lol. It was prob dumb to go but it was an adventure none the less but i will say i dont think sleeping in 9 deg is my fav thing to do i was warm but i had some much gear on and was balled up and i get super clostrophobic so lol not my cup of tea. Any way happy trails Ziggy
    There you go. You can thank me later.

  3. #3
    Registered User ZiggySours's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-04-2018
    Location
    Richmond,Virginia
    Age
    35
    Posts
    19

    Default

    thanks started off as a story and then i was just ranting and forgot everything it looks like a huge blob of words and im better than that lol thanks for the editing

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-10-2017
    Location
    West Chester, Pennsylvania
    Age
    43
    Posts
    6

    Default

    You should notify the parks service for his safety and others.

  5. #5

    Default

    OMG! This guy is just fine! He’s such a sweetie and he’s competent, even if unconventional. He made a large fire because he recently learned fire-making skills and wanted the practice. Plus, he is so nice, there’s no doubt in my mind he started that fire for you guys, so you’d have some warmth that morning.

    He has a degree in engineering. He isn’t dumb, just different.

    I camped with him last week, hiked with him some, drove him into town, and we ate lunch together. He is one of only two thru hikers who I feel privileged to have met and will never forget.

    Your assessment of him is way off the mark. This man is the happiest, most centered person that I’ve met in a long time and we had some great philosophical discussions about life.

    Did y’all even engage him in conversation?

  6. #6

    Default

    ...and by the way, he was the only thru hiker (of 7 or 8) not engaging in certain activities that are considered illegal in VA, as well as he doesn’t drink alcohol. And y’all think he’s the one who should be reported to park rangers?

  7. #7

    Default

    ...and he’s from ​Ethiopia.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-01-2014
    Location
    bronx
    Age
    56
    Posts
    310

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SharonImm View Post
    You should notify the parks service for his safety and others.
    Why "others"? There's nothing in the story that points of him being a danger to others.

  9. #9
    illabelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-25-2012
    Location
    Lurkerville, East Tn
    Age
    60
    Posts
    3,324
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    There you go. You can thank me later.
    I guess this is "later" so THANK YOU!

    Kind of a crazy story. Glad Traffic Jam had good info to report. I hope the guy stays warm enough.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    02-01-2016
    Location
    Chattanooga, Tennessee
    Posts
    812

    Default

    book
    by
    judge
    don't
    a
    cover
    its

    some assembly required

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-19-2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    3,134
    Images
    3

    Default

    soooooooooooo----------sounds like you don't like black backpackers..............

    glad you brought your bigotry out to the open......

  12. #12
    Registered User ZiggySours's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-04-2018
    Location
    Richmond,Virginia
    Age
    35
    Posts
    19

    Default

    yo are u kidding me i said he was african like from africa as in i call what you call "black backpackers" african american in real life as well as trail life i was stating that he was of african decent not african american decent to signify he had a accent and was not as you say just some "black backpacker" Competent yes if you think about what i said you roll up in pitch black to a guy with two backpacks and no sleeping bag and its 9 degrees outside i was genuinely concerned for his safety other wise i would not have advised him to get a sleeping bag or to tell others to do so..........he was very nice and i never said he was not i just found his methods a bit reckless given the circumstances. WE did talk yes for about 4 hrs he has an electrical engineering degree we talked about c++ programing he told me how it 2001 he made a computer board for a palm pilot. He also has 35lbs of books and a laptop on trail and no sleeping bag in 9 degree weather i boiled him water and gave him food hes also a vegetarian but he loves eggs. he has a sister near the park. he does consultation organization from the trail. he was happy as shi t im just saying i was worried about him and at first mark rolling up on a dude in 9 degree temps with haggard gear a bunch of books and stuff i mean not judging judge not before you judge your self only thing im guilty of is judging the situation and feeling worried enough to post something about it stop making this something its not.
    Last edited by Alligator; 11-11-2019 at 10:37. Reason: Fixed. No Politics!

  13. #13

    Default

    The next few days might convince him to get warmer gear or get off the trail. It's gonna be like -3 up here in the Whites in a few days. If that is any indication of how this winter goes, it's going to be a rough one.
    The AT - It has it's ups and downs...

  14. #14
    Registered User Christoph's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-18-2015
    Location
    Valdosta, Georgia
    Age
    47
    Posts
    553

    Default

    ..........
    - Trail name: Thumper

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZiggySours View Post
    yo are u kidding me i said he was african like from africa as in i call what you call "black backpackers" african american in real life as well as trail life i was stating that he was of african decent not african american decent to signify he had a accent and was not as you say just some "black backpacker" Competent yes if you think about what i said you roll up in pitch black to a guy with two backpacks and no sleeping bag and its 9 degrees outside i was genuinely concerned for his safety other wise i would not have advised him to get a sleeping bag or to tell others to do so..........he was very nice and i never said he was not i just found his methods a bit reckless given the circumstances. WE did talk yes for about 4 hrs he has an electrical engineering degree we talked about c++ programing he told me how it 2001 he made a computer board for a palm pilot. He also has 35lbs of books and a laptop on trail and no sleeping bag in 9 degree weather i boiled him water and gave him food hes also a vegetarian but he loves eggs. he has a sister near the park. he does consultation organization from the trail. he was happy as shi t im just saying i was worried about him and at first mark rolling up on a dude in 9 degree temps with haggard gear a bunch of books and stuff i mean not judging judge not before you judge your self only thing im guilty of is judging the situation and feeling worried enough to post something about it stop making this something its not i did not vote for trump
    I really appreciate your concern for him! Even before reading your post, I intended to apologize for my passionate reply (although not the content). I’m glad you were lucky enough to meet him and to interact with him.

    There’s no doubt in my mind that he’s competent and intelligent and will leave the trail if/when he gets too cold.

    When we camped together, several other thru hikers talked to him about the cold weather so he’s not uninformed about what conditions to expect. He’ll figure it out...

  16. #16

    Default

    If that encounter surprised you you need to spend more time on the AT lol
    AT Shuttle List
    Trail Miles: 3,715.9
    AT Trips: 67
    AT Map 1 Completion: 1818.9 Springer, GA - Franconia Notch, NH
    AT Map 2 Completion: 263.8 Gaps From GA - PA

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-16-2015
    Location
    Chaumont,Ny
    Posts
    974

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    If that encounter surprised you you need to spend more time on the AT lol
    For sure

    thom

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    09-06-2008
    Location
    Andrews, NC
    Age
    60
    Posts
    3,646

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    If that encounter surprised you you need to spend more time on the AT lol
    Absolutely! Half the fun of hiking the AT is meeting all the interesting characters. Of course, they probably think the same thing when they meet me!

  19. #19

    Default

    Curious what happens when he runs into Tipi.....

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-23-2019
    Location
    Harpers ferry wv.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Curious what happens when he runs into Tipi.....
    It would be hours upon hours of ultra light backpacking discussions!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •