WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Shoes (& sandals?) for very wide feet

I've been wearing Merrell Moab (then Moab 2, same sole shape) Ventilator shoes (wide) for 5-6 years now. I've gone through multiple pairs and I always have a spare brand new one in my closet for later...
    That's how much better they are than anything else I've tried. I wear them using Superfeet Green insoles, which are still going strong today. I found VERY early on that I require a lot of arch support,
    and most shoes just fall flat (in both senses) without that thick, hard wonder that is the Superfeet insole. I could not go without it at all.

When I was preparing for my first long hike,
    I tried to walk many miles each day, and literally after 2 days (sometimes even one day of 5-10 miles), I would start getting pain and insane tightness in the interior muscle of my lower leg,
    the one you use to point your sole inward (right sole left). That's when I got serious about finding a proper sole and got said Superfeet Green and the Merrells.

However!! I will say this... I'm still holding out (sometimes painfully) for the right shoe for my foot. I should probably be wearing EEE ideally, and at least EE, but Merrell stops at E (that is their wide one).
    This has always meant that I wore only New Balance most of my life, and to this day cannot find decent sandals to my foot (funnily enough, I shopped all of the high-end official Crocs, and none of their specifically wide ones came close to fitting my feet, so I now use 3$ Dollar store ones which actually fit and which I plan to take on my next hike, lol!), or high quality trail shoes to my width. The New Balance shoes and 'trail footwear' were fine,
    until I tried walking long distance on any surface. They just have no arch support whatsoever.

So, I loved New Balance as a teen, but now I'm looking for much greater quality, and I've barely found anything. Keens are made wide and sell wide options, but the ones I have tried were nowhere near the quality of the Merrells (and rarely truly wide in the first place).
    Hit me up if you have a suggestion... Like I said, I've really loved my Moab 2's, but my small toe gets very numb, very fast on a long hike, and while some of that might be normal... for me it's clearly beyond normal. I also cannot wear thick socks or even liner socks because their 'wide' shoe becomes too tight. That's a really, really bit bummer for me. Perhaps I will eventually need to request specially made shoes - that would be such a DREAM COME TRUE!! But I am still quite some ways (say 3+ decades) from being able to afford that
    I would love some feedback and advice from fellow wide-footed hikers. Perhaps you can change my life!!!
    Thanks, and best of luck to you all!

-Sporky / Raging Moose
    Last edited by Sporky; 11-11-2019 at 03:04.

I, too, wear Merrell Moab Ventilators. My first pair was Size 13, and I now wear Size 14 Wide. (My day-to-day dressy shoes are Size 12.5 Wides.) I use Superfeet Greens in hiking footwear, and the thinner Superfeet Charcoal in all my other shoes.

My feet swelled a size and a half over a 45 thruhike of Ontario’s Bruce Trail. And have only lost a bit of that since. Or perhaps I’m now just much more comfortable in long and wide shoes.

Go large and wide!

Traillium
    Ontario, Canada

Small toe being pinched or pushed underneath the adjacent toe can be a sign of a shoe that isn't designed for your feet or doesn't fit. I went through this for yrs until finding the appropriate width shoes for my Squatch-like feet. I now go with Hoka One One Stinsons the widest in this companies line up. The Zero Drop Altras with my high arch were problematic although I loved their toe box and forefoot design.

When doing mostly off trail and rougher terrain or with heavier TPW's or more moderate MPD avgs I do like how Keen footwear matches my feet and hikes.

I don't combine with the heaviest wt bulkiest socks or the highest volume after market orthotics. I tend towards SW, DT, or Injinji med wt ankle ht toe socks w/some amt of merino and SOLE Performance THIN Footbeds.

++ New Posts ++