WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i don't stop goin' up hill or down. i simply step off the trail and walk the few steps on the side of the trail then step back on
    I thought this post was by "Lone Wolf", but in truth it must be from "Mountain Goat".

My point is that there are places on the A.T. where right of way is inconsequential: level, wide trails or grassy, mowed fields. But much of the trail is a one lane track and it is neither practical nor safe for two hikers to pass without finding a spot for one to step off the trail. Evidently, some on this thread advocate playing "chicken".

"Dixie" and "Darwin" are likely the most watched you tubers for A.T. hikers today and they are in agreement with right of way etiquette as I explained. The OP asked about etiquette. Are we going to throw out LNT practices too?

BTW, I agree with Traveler that it is courteous to acknowledge someone who has yielded right of way, even if it is just a nod.

Quote Originally Posted by Slumgum View Post
    "Dixie" and "Darwin" are likely the most watched you tubers for A.T. hikers today and they are in agreement with right of way etiquette as I explained.
    They make entertaining videos but I don’t give them more credibility based on their number of viewers.

The reality is that passing etiquette just isn’t an issue. 99% of hikers handle it just fine with eye contact and body language. The rules are actually inefficient because it causes people to be overly sensitive about how they will be judged for following the rules. We’ve all passed hikers going downhill that go overboard trying to get off the trail in a way and place that is just stupid. And they do it because they have some rule in their head.

And to keep this on topic, I will say that section hikers generally do this dance as well as a wannabe thru hiker.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeGoldRush View Post
    The reality is that passing etiquette just isn’t an issue. 99% of hikers handle it just fine with eye contact and body language.
    You just described a game of "chicken". Your "reality" is a far cry from mine. What other rules of etiquette can we throw out?

There's nothing resembling a game of chicken going on. Just two people passing each other in the woods. Say hello, step aside, and move on with a smile.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    There's nothing resembling a game of chicken going on. Just two people passing each other in the woods. Say hello, step aside, and move on with a smile.
    So idyllic! I wish I could live in your "world". I hiked SOBO from SNP to Springer starting April 6 this year. I and my hiking partner were essentially run off the trail almost every day. Most hikers were great. A small percentage felt they owned the trail. No smiles; no hellos; no eye contact or body language as some have spoken of; it was as if we were traveling down a one-way trail the wrong way. It didn't ruin my experience, but I began to wonder if there was a rule of etiquette to prevent head on collisions on the trail. The very existence of this rule is evidence for its need. Again, if you are hiking NOBO from Georgia in the spring, you will likely encounter very, very few SOBO hikers and it may seem this is yet another "law" that violates your views.

I wish the A.T. was a utopia (as you and others seem to have found) and all hikers exhibited kindness and consideration for their counterparts. Until then, a few rules seem prudent.
    Last edited by Alligator; 11-23-2019 at 22:00. Reason: Fixed. No Politics!

y'all are makin' a mountain out of a mole hill on this passin' thing. really is much ado over nothin'

y'all are makin' a mountain out of a mole hill on this passin' thing. really is much ado over nothin'
    Caleb, seems you are not alone in the utopian wilderness.

dude, it's just walkin'

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I also always felt the uphill right of way was silly. I always stop for down hillers. I was going to stop anyway.
    I second that. I am quite happy, and most times ready to pause in my uphill climb to let those with gravity on their side pass on by.

Furlough
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

dude, it's just walkin'
    Yup. It is just walking ... until you are run over by a moron powering downhill on a narrow trail. It is not an issue for you, Caleb, FreeGoldRush, etc. Good for you. But your efforts to belittle and downplay are a disservice to the OP and other readers who ask for input regarding trail etiquette.

Images

No reason for BOTH hikers to stop.
    Unless both folks want to participate in a bit of time honored social etiquette referred to as conversation. As you say above, stopping and starting on the downhill swing is no big deal. Unless I suppose, ones hike is only about making the miles.

Furlough
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Quote Originally Posted by Furlough View Post
    Unless both folks want to participate in a bit of time honored social etiquette referred to as conversation. As you say above, stopping and starting on the downhill swing is no big deal. Unless I suppose, ones hike is only about making the miles.Furlough
    Really. REALLY! So now I am all about "making the miles" and I am turning my back on "time honored social etiquette referred to as conversation"? I actually don't care if the rule of etiquette dictates uphill has the right of way or downhill has the right of way. However, I contend it should be one way or the other. When I am on the trail I just want to hike with civility. It is absurd to contend the solution is to engage in "time honored social etiquette referred to as conversation" with every hiker I pass when I might pass 40 to 50 hikers/day as I did this year. It is absurd to state the solution is "eye contact" and "body language". It is absurd to have to go counter to the established rule and stop for every downhill hiker as well as every uphill hiker. If, as some believe, it is a non-issue, then give it a rest and stop your disrespectful trolling and move to an issue that you do think important.

maybe you need to walk off season. seems you got issues

How so, "Dude".

Come on now, really this is getting ridiculous. Who stops and who doesn't depends on the situation.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I think this conversation proves my original contention that there's no such thing as trail etiquette that isn't based on self interest. We can't even agree on the uphill/downhill yield.

All I can suggest is that it's highly dependent based on the circumstances, and when you get two stubborn people meeting on the trail, each one believing that they have some kind of moral upper hand, it only leads to less hiking enjoyment for everyone. Seriously, you're going to put yourself in a bad mood because someone walked past you on the trail in a manner you found to be impolite? That seems a terrible way to hike to me.

Just be vaguely aware of what's happening around you. Each situation needs to be judged on it's own merits. Stay positive and don't sweat what you can't control.

Images

Really. REALLY! So now I am all about "making the miles" and I am turning my back on "time honored social etiquette referred to as conversation"? I actually don't care if the rule of etiquette dictates uphill has the right of way or downhill has the right of way. However, I contend it should be one way or the other. When I am on the trail I just want to hike with civility. It is absurd to contend the solution is to engage in "time honored social etiquette referred to as conversation" with every hiker I pass when I might pass 40 to 50 hikers/day as I did this year. It is absurd to state the solution is "eye contact" and "body language". It is absurd to have to go counter to the established rule and stop for every downhill hiker as well as every uphill hiker. If, as some believe, it is a non-issue, then give it a rest and stop your disrespectful trolling and move to an issue that you do think important.
    Trolling and disrespectful. Really - name calling, profiling and or stereotyping is what is disrespectful. Whether you personally are about making miles or in your words turning your back on conversation is something only you know for sure. I don't really care one way or the other.

I do get your ire from the volume of trail traffic and having to navigate that in whatever fashion one deems appropriate. As a trail maintainer in SNP over the last 2 hiking seasons, there has been a noticeable increase in foot traffic - South, North bounders and the day hikers. Each encounter, I step aside turn off the Stihl Brush Cutter I am using, take off my helmet and ear protection. Generally, not always but mostly conversation follows. Once the hikers move on I put all the stuff back on, restart the brush cutter continue on, and repeat the process with the next encounter. Same applies when I am hiking or backpacking, along with eye contact, I employ the spoken word to let the other person know my intentions. "Absurd" or not all it costs me is time. YMMV. And the only name calling I do is to the Stihl Brush Cutter on occasion when it is being obstinate about starting/re-starting.

Furlough

You just described a game of "chicken". Your "reality" is a far cry from mine. What other rules of etiquette can we throw out?
    dude, it's just walkin'
    Yup. It is just walking ... until you are run over by a moron powering downhill on a narrow trail. It is not an issue for you, Caleb, FreeGoldRush, etc. Good for you. But your efforts to belittle and downplay are a disservice to the OP and other readers who ask for input regarding trail etiquette.
    How so, "Dude".
    I love the smell of discord in the morning. All Hail Lone Wolf---he's got it right. Slumgum's comment "It is just walking until you are run over by a moron powering downhill . . ." --What? In 40 years of backpacking trails in the Southeast including the AT I never came close to getting run over by anyone, moron or not. (The sidewalks of Gatlinburg are another story---or sharing trails with speeding bicyclists).

Wear a 90 lb pack and no one will EVER run you over---in fact on a downhill I could lose my "brakes" and destroy everything in my path. This would make me the Prime Moron.

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    Seriously, you're going to put yourself in a bad mood because someone walked past you on the trail in a manner you found to be impolite? That seems a terrible way to hike to me.

Just be vaguely aware of what's happening around you. Each situation needs to be judged on it's own merits. Stay positive and don't sweat what you can't control.
    Good grief. This is Alice in Wonderland. It's just a simple rule of etiquette and that is what the OP asked about. I'll let you guys move back to trolling the dancing banana. I'm out of here and in a positive way.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I also always felt the uphill right of way was silly. I always stop for down hillers. I was going to stop anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furlough View Post
    Unless both folks want to participate in a bit of time honored social etiquette referred to as conversation. As you say above, stopping and starting on the downhill swing is no big deal. Unless I suppose, ones hike is only about making the miles.

Furlough
    99% of the time I am the one who stops and lets the other pass either uphill or downhill. Gives me time to smell the roses.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++