WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

@SkeeterPee - I live north of Atlanta, been to Amicalola many times, and the stairs are very doable with your pack on. Of course, you need to walk your own walk, but I believe you will get better emotional results both short-term and long-term by having climbed the stairs (with your pack) as part of the complete experience of a thru-hike. Just do it...you'll be fine.

Thanks, did not realize it was such a long drive to the top from the lodge. I figured the road to the lodge went to the top. So looks like I can cancel my second night and do the shuttle driver suggested.

Also, if you are worried about how long it may take and shelter availability, there are a whole bunch of shelters to pick from. Black Mountain is 1.5 miles from the start at the park if you peter out early. Springer Mountain Shelter is right after the start, if you want to declare victory and retire at the top. Then, if you instead want to put some distance between you and the masses at the top, Stover Creek is a mere 2.8 miles past Springer and Hawk Mountain is 8.1 miles after Springer. All are potentially within your range with an early AM start and 1.5-2 mph. As you can see, the start is really flexible . . .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++