WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Woods Hole Shelter - food storage

I have a 2/12 start date and would be staying here a couple days later. Am I correct that there is a bear box and that the canister requirement does not apply to 3/1? I.E. on 2/14 a canister would not be required? Another option is to stop at the campground 2 miles sooner. Or is there bear threat strong there and it is better to stop sooner.

Unless anything changed, if your there before 3/1 your good without.

Personally, I'd stop at Jerrard anyway instead of descending down to Woods Hole. For me the timing always worked out better stopping at Jerrard. It kind of depends on where you ended up the night before. Not much of a bear threat in Feb unless it's been unusually warm. Plus most bears know that the (natural) food is down much lower that time of year.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Leonidas

The shelter and the surrounding area is a sort of peninsula. There are campsites right at the turn off for the shelter that are arguably better than going to the shelter. The water source past it is better as well. Not sure on a bear box, in 2016, there were cables and they weren't in the best shape that I recall.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterPee View Post
    I have a 2/12 start date and would be staying here a couple days later. Am I correct that there is a bear box and that the canister requirement does not apply to 3/1? I.E. on 2/14 a canister would not be required? Another option is to stop at the campground 2 miles sooner. Or is there bear threat strong there and it is better to stop sooner.
    o

You can send an email to [email protected] and ask this question. The responders are all volunteers, so give them adequate time to reply.

I’m pretty sure there’s a bear box there just in case

I have the good fortune of knowing the maintainer for that shelter. So I went to the expert. There IS a bear box there. There are no bear cables anymore, as a falling tree took them out.

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by skater View Post
    I have the good fortune of knowing the maintainer for that shelter. So I went to the expert. There IS a bear box there. There are no bear cables anymore, as a falling tree took them out.
    The condition they were in when we were there in 2016 makes me think the tree actually finished them off/put them out of their misery as they were in poor shape probably from misuse.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

++ New Posts ++