WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Favorite cold soak container

Does anyone have a favorite container that maybe I can repurpose for a cold soak container. My only requirements are that it has a lid, is leakproof and hopefully, free or nearly so. Thanks

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Talenti Gelato. For one thing, it starts out full of gelato. You pay for the jar and get free gelato, or vice-versa.

Leonidas

I was using a 16oz peanut butter jar up until this last trip. I started using my powerade bottle instead and it has worked even better. Granted, my cold soaking is different than most peoples.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Pretty much any plastic jar food container of approperate size will do. And as mentioned, they come with something good to eat before you use them. If you want totaly free, go through someones recycling bin
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    Talenti Gelato. For one thing, it starts out full of gelato. You pay for the jar and get free gelato, or vice-versa.
    2nd this. Screw on lids, no lip, easy to clean, clear plastic, and no leaks.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    2nd this. Screw on lids, no lip, easy to clean, clear plastic, and no leaks.

FWIW, I haven't found those jars to leak by merely turning them on their side or upside down ... HOWEVER, the sides are the jar are pretty thin, and it doesn't take much pressure to push them in and cause a leak that way.

That also makes me wonder if the jar might leak if the air pressure in it increased, say if the cold soak became, during the course of a summer hiking day, a warm soak.

I started off using a peanut butter jar that I made a gasket for, for the lid, out of a roll-up cutting board/mat. That worked very good, not even a tiny bit of leakage.
    I then tried the Talenti Gelato container. Works very well, no leaks, without any home made gasket...

Then I thought..... this is silly. why am I pouring my meals from a plastic bag, into a plastic container? When i freezer bag cooked, I used to add water to the bag and let it soak "cook"...... So,

A bit over a year ago now I stopped using the Gelato container and just used the ziplock bags the food was in. So far, across a decent amount of miles (about a 1,000 now) it has worked just fine (knock on wood - cuz I am 'a touch' superstitious, lol).

So, just the ziplock bag is my cold soak container. No issues, and no 'extra' hard sided soak container either. I even drink my breakfast out of them - works great (for me), ymmv of course.

willin'

GAME 06

Quote Originally Posted by u.w. View Post
    I started off using a peanut butter jar that I made a gasket for, for the lid, out of a roll-up cutting board/mat. That worked very good, not even a tiny bit of leakage.
    I then tried the Talenti Gelato container. Works very well, no leaks, without any home made gasket...

Then I thought..... this is silly. why am I pouring my meals from a plastic bag, into a plastic container? When i freezer bag cooked, I used to add water to the bag and let it soak "cook"...... So,

A bit over a year ago now I stopped using the Gelato container and just used the ziplock bags the food was in. So far, across a decent amount of miles (about a 1,000 now) it has worked just fine (knock on wood - cuz I am 'a touch' superstitious, lol).

So, just the ziplock bag is my cold soak container. No issues, and no 'extra' hard sided soak container either. I even drink my breakfast out of them - works great (for me), ymmv of course.

willin'
    I also am a no stove hiker. I have had some issues with leakage when using ziplock freezer bags. One has to be a bit careful that they do not get squeezed too much or one can get some leakage. I usually put it in a 2nd bag when doing this to prevent a mess should I squash it too much. The more hard side containers like the gelato or a wide mouth gatoraide don't have this issue as much but some of them seal better than others and can drip a bit if laid on their side - so make sure they are standing up in your pack, and you can set them in a freezer bag as well for extra security. Oh and pretest any such arrangement in the kitchen before you leave to make sure you have a well sealing container.

++ New Posts ++