Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Oboz boots

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-12-2015
    Location
    Newark, DE
    Age
    60
    Posts
    528

    Default Oboz boots

    I've been training for a thru hike on lone peak 4's, but I do tire of the rocks in the thin trail runner shoes,

    I notice many sobos in boots so I am now considering them.

    I tried oboz sawtooth II and the Bridger. The Bridger were the leather ones, they were stiff. Store said that was normal and they loosen up? Any one experience this? How many miles to break in?

    The sawtooth were comfortable. I am going to try them in the vent version to see if that is more comfortable.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-12-2015
    Location
    Newark, DE
    Age
    60
    Posts
    528

    Default

    Btw, I heard that you can get two free pairs of oboz if you are a thru hiker. Any one know how that works?

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-03-2015
    Location
    Center Conway, NH
    Age
    67
    Posts
    85

    Default

    I'm very happy with my Bridgers. I strongly recommend them.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-12-2015
    Location
    Newark, DE
    Age
    60
    Posts
    528

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Decibel View Post
    I'm very happy with my Bridgers. I strongly recommend them.
    Great, Did they seem stiff at first and how long did it take to break them in? which style did you get?

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-28-2015
    Location
    Bad Ischl, Austria
    Age
    62
    Posts
    1,225

    Default

    Leather shoes/boots usually are stiff right out of the shop.
    Grease them up several times and they will soften.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-03-2015
    Location
    Center Conway, NH
    Age
    67
    Posts
    85

    Default

    They really didn't seem that stiff to me. They had great support. I have both the mid and the low ones. I tend to use the mid with a full pack and the lows for day hiking. I use the Sawtooth as an every day shoe. I am very satisfied with my Oboz. I don't remember having any issues breaking them in. I just put them on and started hiking.

  7. #7
    4eyedbuzzard's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-02-2007
    Location
    DFW, TX / Northern NH
    Age
    63
    Posts
    7,940
    Images
    27

    Default

    Perhaps they have changed the compound used in their soles, but several years ago I had a pair of low cut Oboz and found them more slippery on wet rock surfaces (lots of that in the Whites) than some other shoes I had from Salomon and LLBean. They were comfortable, and the soles were rugged and comparatively stiff and offered good protection, but the traction issue relegated them to serving as yard work shoes.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Perhaps they have changed the compound used in their soles, but several years ago I had a pair of low cut Oboz and found them more slippery on wet rock surfaces (lots of that in the Whites) than some other shoes I had from Salomon and LLBean. They were comfortable, and the soles were rugged and comparatively stiff and offered good protection, but the traction issue relegated them to serving as yard work shoes.
    ^ This! I had a pair of Oboz that were like ice on wet rocks. Turns out my son had the same experience previously (which I had not known).

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-20-2013
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Age
    66
    Posts
    899
    Images
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tomlinson View Post
    ^ This! I had a pair of Oboz that were like ice on wet rocks. Turns out my son had the same experience previously (which I had not known).
    Completely agree. The Oboz fit well but I didn’t like them on wet rocks. They were the only thing available in Damascus when I needed new boots. I’ve returned to Lowa Renegades.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    13 HF>CramptonsG
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19 AT NOBO 1540.5

  10. #10
    4eyedbuzzard's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-02-2007
    Location
    DFW, TX / Northern NH
    Age
    63
    Posts
    7,940
    Images
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tomlinson View Post
    ^ This! I had a pair of Oboz that were like ice on wet rocks. Turns out my son had the same experience previously (which I had not known).
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
    Completely agree. The Oboz fit well but I didn’t like them on wet rocks. They were the only thing available in Damascus when I needed new boots. I’ve returned to Lowa Renegades.
    I had always wondered if other people had the same issues or if it was just me. Thanks for posting.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    I had always wondered if other people had the same issues or if it was just me. Thanks for posting.
    i too had the same issues the sawtooths.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-26-2015
    Location
    Northern Va
    Age
    35
    Posts
    284

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterPee View Post
    I've been training for a thru hike on lone peak 4's, but I do tire of theThe sawtooth were comfortable. I am going to try them in the vent version to see if that is more comfortable.
    If starting in boots gives you more support, or even peace of mind, then go for it. Those first few weeks are going to be a bit of a shock to your body already. Just make sure those boots fit well, and understand that they arenít going to last.

    how much do you weigh? I was around 240 and started with lone peaks and my feet were so sore. I just figured Iíd get used to it - that this is what a Thru hike does to you. I briefly, in the early winter weeks of March, wishes I started in boots.

    eventually I picked up a pair of Altra Olympus, which is like the lone peak but quite a bit more cushion (thereís an in between model called the Timp) and it made a huge difference. I finished the hike with them. Well, four pairs of them, anyway.

    the wide toe box is just so nice, in fact I think my feet have been ruined for normal shoes, hardly anything fits me anymore.

    anywho, boots can be great, but the wide toe box, good cushion, and light weight had me coming back to the Altras. I actually spent 3 days in my old oboz sawtooth that mom brought when she visited, but my feet had already gotten larger and the tore me up good

    still, youíre mileage can and will vary. Feel free to message me if you like

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-12-2015
    Location
    Newark, DE
    Age
    60
    Posts
    528

    Default

    I ended up buying the Oboz Bridgers in the Vent Mid style. They are not all leather and felt better from the start. I've put 50 miles on them and so fare am liking them. I have not tried them in the rain to see how they do on wet rocks. Hope to do that soon.

  14. #14

    Default

    I found Oboz ([email protected]?) were so narrow I tried going up 2 sizes and they were still not working out for me... according to my guy at REI they run narrow for many people.
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => Click Here <=


    Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

  15. #15

    Default

    My first pair of Oboz (the trail runner kind) carried me from Front Royal to Damascus and yes, they are slippery on wet rocks. But since everybody deserve a second chance, I got a second pair in Damascus.

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-27-2019
    Location
    Pinehurst and Boone, North Carolina
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sailing_Faith View Post
    I found Oboz ([email protected]?) were so narrow I tried going up 2 sizes and they were still not working out for me... according to my guy at REI they run narrow for many people.
    Oboz are available in wide (EE). I'm a fan of the Sawtooth. Been hiking with them for a few years. For my 2020 thru-hike, I sized up one, plus EE width, too. FYI, Oboz invites you to register your new shoes on its website, ensuring you get a fresh pair should they (when they) wear out during your thru-hike.

++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •