WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default ATC Holiday Celebration / The Unlikely Thru-Hiker

ATC is hosting its annual Holiday Celebration at our headquarters and visitor center in Harpers Ferry tomorrow (12/7). The highlight (even more than the free food and mulled cider) will be Derick "Mr. Fabulous" Lugo doing a book signing of The Unlikely Thru-Hiker. He's scheduled to be there from 12:00 pm to 2:00 pm but hopes to be around longer.

Mr. Fabulous is one of the most outgoing hikers you'll ever meet. Even if you're not into buying books or holiday shopping, if you live in the area, stop by and say hello. You won't regret it.

This weekend and next is also Olde Tyme Christmas in Harpers Ferry, when our town is at its most charming and beautiful. There will be horse-drawn carriages, Father and Mother Christmas strolling through town, a living nativity play, harp music, luminaries, old-timey decorations and more: Here's the schedule for tomorrow:

Here's the blurb from our press release:

HARPERS FERRY, W.Va. (Nov. 25, 2019) – The Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC) invites everyone to join us for our Annual Holiday Celebration Open House at its Visitor Center in Harpers Ferry from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday, December 7. Visitors will enjoy warm drinks and snacks, and a chance to meet some of the wonderful volunteers who help maintain the Appalachian Trail (A.T.) and provide visitors with essential hiking knowledge.

The highlight of the Holiday Celebration will be a book signing from 12-2 p.m. by Derick “Mr. Fabulous” Lugo, author of “The Unlikely Thru-Hiker: An Appalachian Trail Journey.” Lugo’s book chronicles his 2012 thru-hike of the A.T., a journey that started with an overweight pack and little preparation besides a “can-do attitude.” By the end of his hike, Lugo learned invaluable lessons on “preparation, humility, race relations and nature’s wild unpredictability.” Lugo has since become a great presence in the A.T. hiking community, delivering presentations at multiple Trail events and starring in the ATC’s myATstory video, “Trail Brothers.”

Derick Lugo, author of "The Unlikely Thru-Hiker: An Appalachian Trail Journey," will sign copies of his book from 12-2 p.m. on December 7 as part of the ATC Holiday Celebration.

“It feels like I’m coming home every time I visit Harpers Ferry,” said Lugo. “The people at the Appalachian Trail Conservancy are like family to me. Similar to my thru-hike journey, my book tour would not be complete if I did not make a stop at this historic small town.”

“Derick’s story offers a wonderful perspective on how welcoming the Appalachian Trail community is and what a rewarding and transformative experience hiking the Appalachian Trail can be,” said ATC Visitor Services Supervisor Jeff Metzger. “It is a perfect message for the holidays, and we are thrilled that Derick will be able to share it with our visitors during our celebration.”

For more information about the Annual Holiday Celebration Open House and Derick Lugo book signing, visit www.appalachiantrail.org/holiday2019.

By the way, I personally found the book very entertaining, insightful, humorous, with a different perspective than any book I've ever read about the Appalachian Trail.

Laurie P.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauriep View Post

By the way, I personally found the book very entertaining, insightful, humorous, with a different perspective than any book I've ever read about the Appalachian Trail.

Laurie P.
    Wait until you get a load of HARD RANGER!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lauriep View Post
    For more information about the Annual Holiday Celebration Open House and Derick Lugo book signing, visit www.appalachiantrail.org/holiday2019.
    By the way, I personally found the book very entertaining, insightful, humorous, with a different perspective than any book I've ever read about the Appalachian Trail. Laurie P.
    Laurie - I agree. This is now one of my favorite AT through hike books. His positive and realistic attitude are a recipe for success.

Furlough
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Laurie,first I want to agree with your opinion of the book,loved it. Now I want to thank you for all you do for the AT,and wish you a nice crowd for your event. We made it to Harpers Ferry twice on our journey,and love your town. Again,thanks for what you do!!

Wish I could be there! And I second Slow Trek’s appreciation for your work.

It was an awesome event, so great to see Mr. Fabulous again and have a great turnout. If you missed him at ATC today, you can catch him at the fabulous Four Season Bookstore in Shepherdstown today, the signing starts at 1:00.

Furlough and Slow Trek, so glad to hear you like the book too. And Slow Trek and RuthN, it's good to hear ATC's work is valued!

I ran into Mr. Fabulous in the Shenandoah's with my brother back then. We stopped to chat and connected as we were both NYC-based. I remember that he was surprised that we drove down from New York. He hadn't realized that he had hiked far enough north to be in driving range from the City. That and people tried to give him the trail name "Marley" or something lame like that. Friendly fellow.
    Springer to Katahdin: 1991-2018

++ New Posts ++