WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Just for fun.....

How many of you moved near the AT after you finished your thru? How many of you Lashers or section hikers moved near the trail to have easier access?

I'm from a small town near the AT in Virginia (just south of Pearisburg) but was living overseas working as an English teacher before my 2018 thru hike. I unexpectedly found a significant other on the trail, so after a brief stint in southeast Asia over the winter, I moved to northern New Hampshire to be closer, since I can't actually work in Canada without jumping through a lot of hoops. So now I look outside of my classroom and see the Presidentials. Closest AT access is about 25 minutes from my house. I was originally hoping to end up in the Burlington VT area because that's less than 2 hours from Montreal, but having the AT practically in my backyard definitely makes up for the extra hour of distance!

I hike in the Whites every weekend that I'm not in Canada, but not usually on the AT because I'm working on the NH 48 4000 footers. Having the checklist of peaks is fun because it's really motivating me to explore my new region instead of just repeating the same white-blazed stretches of trail over and over. (In VA I usually just hiked Angels Rest, McAfee's, or Dragon's Tooth over and over again. They never get boring, but I do regret that I haven't experienced more of the excellent hiking that southwest VA has to offer outside the AT corridor.) Being near the AT in NH is also cool because I can stay connected to the thru-hiking community by occasionally picking up hikers hitching in Crawford Notch.
    A.T. 2018 Thru-hiker
    Follow along at www.tefltrekker.com

I didn't move 4.5 miles from the AT on purpose, it just sort of worked out that way
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by KnightErrant View Post
    I hike in the Whites every weekend that I'm not in Canada, but not usually on the AT because I'm working on the NH 48 4000 footers. Having the checklist of peaks is fun because it's really motivating me to explore my new region instead of just repeating the same white-blazed stretches of trail over and over.
    Check out the 52WAV list - 52 hikes "With A View" Most are open ledges, but many are summits. All under 4000 but often over 3000 feet. A new hiking companion told me about the WAV list and it seems I have already done many of them, but have been working on the rest recently. It helps answer the question "where should we go hike this trip?" They have definitely gotten me out of my usual haunts and into new and amazing areas.
    Anyway, living in the area does have advantages if you want to hike a lot!
    I'm glad I live here and most other people don't.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I didn't move 4.5 miles from the AT on purpose, it just sort of worked out that way
    i didn't move 60 yards from the AT in Damascus with any forethought. just made sense at the time 19 years ago

I've lived all my life between 50 and 100 road miles of the AT, in three different states. For a variety of reasons, I'm unlikely ever to live anywhere further away than that.

After that first AT thru I moved away from the AT near other trails, trails communities and activities as the AT has never been the center of my hiking world.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Same for me. I just built a cabin 4.5 miles from the AT.

I had always wanted to live in VT since even before my first AT section hike. As the years went by and I racked up section hike mileage, I thought how nice it would be to live near the AT. 3 years ago, the stars aligned and I moved to Rutland, 9 miles from the AT/LT.

I enjoy meeting thru and section hikers, offering rides, and occasionally hosting them in my condo.

never always been fine with living on the Sound and driving an hour or so to the AT

++ New Posts ++