WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Leonidas

Curious how many NU25 lamps you can carry for the weight of a triple A headlamp and batteries to keep it running the same amount of time.

My use of the NU25 has been very seldom ever needing to run on high. I use it generally only if I haven't seen a clear trail marking at an intersection. I understand that for those who need it to run longer on high might want something different. I do own their NU30, heavier brighter and a believe the battery size is tripled.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Clearly I need to put that on my wish list. Still a little skeptical for extended night hiking but it's clearly a good general use lamp.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    Curious how many NU25 lamps you can carry for the weight of a triple A headlamp and batteries to keep it running the same amount of time.
    Yeah, I thought of that pretty much instantly when we talk about battery life for the NU25.... my AAA lamp weighs 2.2 ounces, when I use lithium AAA batteries, which I do in the winter, though the stupid things are expensive (but do go on sale). So it would be close, I think roughly my AAA lamp, at a similar brightness, will last twice as long as the NU25 on high, maybe a bit more. I might test that sometime, just for fun. It makes sense, battery energy density IS battery energy density for similar chemistry.

I could easily see myself buying a 2nd NU25 soon; our annual Grand Canyon RRR is coming up soon (March), we now start at midnight (I'm getting slower!) in order to finish before dark, so 5 hours of pitch dark hiking on a not-great trail (ruts, etc). AND I like carrying and using a double lamp system on the way down to the river (one lamp on head, the other in hand to cast shadows); both on medium brightness.

One other nice thing about the NU25 is the "battery gauge" thing. My AAA doesn't have one, furthermore, using lithium batteries, it fails very suddenly, no warning, typical for Lithium.

Journeyman Journeyer
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Only issue of this is you risk messing up the micro USB port, it doesn’t take much to ruin it ie snag on branch etc, but in a pinch could see doing it.
    I have a 90 degree micro USB cord that I can attach and run around the headband to the back of my head and down my back. The battery is put in my jacket. Not much chance of it getting snagged unless the whole headlamp was going to get snagged anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by grubbster View Post
    I have a 90 degree micro USB cord that I can attach and run around the headband to the back of my head and down my back. The battery is put in my jacket. Not much chance of it getting snagged unless the whole headlamp was going to get snagged anyway.
    Got it...sounds doable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most of my colleagues and myself will make a fire and keep it going till ~9 PM (hiker midnight) or even later. Still need to try to sleep for up to 10 hours, which is challenging. I try to start a weekend trip somewhat sleep deprived. That and melatonin seem to help me.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Garlic08 mentioned this on the first page but we got distracted in the headlamp discussion - candle lanterns are a good option in the winter. Most of the year I seem them as one extra thing to carry with little value, but on short days in the winter they provide a bit of extra heat in the tent as well as reducing humidity and creating a pleasant environment for reading. Cheap and fairly lightweight too.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++