Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Registered User stilllife's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-28-2011
    Location
    Madison,MS
    Age
    58
    Posts
    160

    Default Camera for recording video

    Looking for camera suggestions for recording good quality video as well as good pics on the trail . Preferably light weight with lense built in. Not a DSLR.
    Thanks.

  2. #2

    Default

    All the new flagship phones like iPhone 11, Galaxy, Pixel, etc take very good videos and photos. Past that, a GoPro is great for video and can take pretty good photos as well, but isn't nearly as easy to use.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-27-2013
    Location
    WMNF, New Hampshire
    Posts
    1,524

    Default

    Good quality.

    Invest in the latest and greatest Iphone.

    Excellent quality. Get a Sony A7.

    Depends on what you're trying to do/film.

    Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Hiker bigcranky's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-22-2002
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Age
    57
    Posts
    7,894
    Images
    296

    Default

    Honestly, and speaking as someone who has made my living with a camera for over thirty years, you can't really go wrong with the latest iPhone -- but you'll want the "pro" model to get the three camera modules. That phone will make excellent pictures in all sorts of situations. The extra camera/lens module is the "portrait" lens, which you will use all the time. Also, it makes phone calls.

    If you must have a camera, the go-to compact for enthusiast photographers is the Sony RX100 series. This has a comparatively large sensor for a small camera. It will do better in low light than a phone. The latest version has a 24mm-200mm (equivalent) lens, and it's about the size of a pack of cigarettes. It's not cheap at $1300 -- about the same as the iPhone 11 Pro, actually. And for best results you'll want to shoot raw files and process them later.

    I've carried the little Sony on lots of hikes and trips the last few years. Love the form factor, the photos are excellent, etc. But when I replace my phone, I expect the replacement will be good enough for a lot of that sort of photography.

    Have a great hike!
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

  5. #5
    Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-10-2007
    Location
    Morganton, North Carolina
    Age
    41
    Posts
    3,479
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    242

    Default

    DSLR would be best but the bulk, weight, and fragileness of the camera would be the cons. I would go with a Go Pro or pocket digital camera (Canon, Samsung, Sony) with removable card memory. USB recharging capability would benefit in not carrying batteries.

    Look for panorama or stitching, low light, continued shooting features.

    Also consider memory card features - high capacity storage, 128 GB or more (if video is going to primary need), and minimum of U1 or U3 class speeds.

    And you will need a small camera tripod or mount. Or a hiking pole with a camera mount.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer
    Falls Lake Trail: 2011

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-27-2013
    Location
    WMNF, New Hampshire
    Posts
    1,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Honestly, and speaking as someone who has made my living with a camera for over thirty years, you can't really go wrong with the latest iPhone -- but you'll want the "pro" model to get the three camera modules. That phone will make excellent pictures in all sorts of situations. The extra camera/lens module is the "portrait" lens, which you will use all the time. Also, it makes phone calls.

    If you must have a camera, the go-to compact for enthusiast photographers is the Sony RX100 series. This has a comparatively large sensor for a small camera. It will do better in low light than a phone. The latest version has a 24mm-200mm (equivalent) lens, and it's about the size of a pack of cigarettes. It's not cheap at $1300 -- about the same as the iPhone 11 Pro, actually. And for best results you'll want to shoot raw files and process them later.

    I've carried the little Sony on lots of hikes and trips the last few years. Love the form factor, the photos are excellent, etc. But when I replace my phone, I expect the replacement will be good enough for a lot of that sort of photography.

    Have a great hike!
    Ive been thinking of getting a sony rx100 and dji pocket osmo to make hiking videos.

    Sounds like a sweet light setup

    Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

  7. #7

    Default

    Your phone is probably the best for normal stuff. If you want something special, get a 360 camera like a Rylo. Once you get the hang of how it works, you can take some amazing videos.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  8. #8
    Registered User Venchka's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-20-2013
    Location
    Upper East Side of Texas
    Age
    73
    Posts
    8,313

    Default

    Looking at YouTube Triple Crown Videos and Joey’s My Own Frontier YouTube channel...
    A Gimbal is just as important as the lens and camera.
    GoPro’s ultra-wide, bordering on fisheye, perspective gets old after awhile.
    Sony’s APS-C bodies and a wide to medium zoom lens (24-70 or 105 in 35 mm filmspeak) looks good on my iMac 21.
    Seeking Lost - YouTube - 2018 CDT videos and full equipment list is worth looking at.
    A camera that shoots 4K video is probably the way to go. With really fast and really big cards.
    Wayne

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-27-2013
    Location
    WMNF, New Hampshire
    Posts
    1,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Looking at YouTube Triple Crown Videos and Joey’s My Own Frontier YouTube channel...
    A Gimbal is just as important as the lens and camera.
    GoPro’s ultra-wide, bordering on fisheye, perspective gets old after awhile.
    Sony’s APS-C bodies and a wide to medium zoom lens (24-70 or 105 in 35 mm filmspeak) looks good on my iMac 21.
    Seeking Lost - YouTube - 2018 CDT videos and full equipment list is worth looking at.
    A camera that shoots 4K video is probably the way to go. With really fast and really big cards.
    Wayne
    I have an A6400 thats really nice. However... its too much for me personally on a thru.

    I'm awaiting the 2nd edition dji pocket osmo. Should be great for smooth videos.

    As for the other camera. I'm contemplating one of the new rx100s

    Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Hiker bigcranky's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-22-2002
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Age
    57
    Posts
    7,894
    Images
    296

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    Ive been thinking of getting a sony rx100 and dji pocket osmo to make hiking videos.

    Sounds like a sweet light setup
    The video from the tiny Sony RX100 is pretty amazing, too.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •