WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: quilt stacking

Default quilt stacking

Hello,

How do you stack quilts when you have two different manufacturers?

I have a 40 degree EE apex for the summer but want to get a down quilt to go lower. With EE I know they offer a double pad attachment to be able to do this. What have others done when using two different manufacturers? I want to reduce drafts as much as possible without using a bivy hence concerned about attachment system.

Any information is appreciated and very welcome!

Floyd

I've used an EE APEX 20° over the top of a 30° down TR Ventra sub zero with good result. Some additional clothing took it down to around -20°F. My preference is to use the APEX over the down so moisture goes from vapor to solid near the surface of the synthetic insulation. That quilt gets shaken out in the morning to dust the crystals off and the down gets compressed while still warm to reduce residual vapor before it can cool and condense. I don't use any attachments at all when doing this, but I sleep in either a tent or a hammock so wind isn't an issue.
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

How about a narrow 1P tent? Some of these are 30" wide or less. The extra quilt width should bunch up at your side, and as long as the fabric is slick and you don't grab the top edge as you roll, it should stay in place.

hi guys
    Thanks for the recommendations.
    Unfortunately, not grabbing the top as I roll might not be possible. I roll around like a rotisserie chicken.
    I'm slowly transitioning to a tarp to save weight. I have to for medical reasons.
    any other suggestions from others?
    Best,
    Floyd

Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post
    How about a narrow 1P tent? Some of these are 30" wide or less. The extra quilt width should bunch up at your side, and as long as the fabric is slick and you don't grab the top edge as you roll, it should stay in place.
    This is a great idea and works for me until moisture sets in and my quilt touching the sides of the tent and boom my quilt starts getting wet.

Quote Originally Posted by misterfloyd View Post
    hi guys
    Thanks for the recommendations.
    Unfortunately, not grabbing the top as I roll might not be possible. I roll around like a rotisserie chicken.
    I'm slowly transitioning to a tarp to save weight. I have to for medical reasons.
    any other suggestions from others?
    Best,
    Floyd
    If you attach your first quilt as normal and then attach the other over the top, what issue are you running into?
    I don't have a problem doing this with my setup. For the quilt on the top I just use stretchy cord and cord clamps and run the cord under the pad, and it doesn't move

As long as the quilt on top has attachment points, you can just secure it under the pad and tighten as necessary. I forgot some straps on one trip, and some string I had worked fine to avoid drafts in that situation

Hiking Jim,
    Thank you for answering my question. I guess I should have asked a better question. What my question should have been, "do you use two attachment systems with two different quilts when you stack them together?

I'm trying to determine if I want to get another down quilt to mate with the synthetic, or get a sleeping bag. I hate drafts, but I want to try to save as much weight as possible. Guess you can have everything! This would be used with weather 20 degrees and lower.

Quote Originally Posted by misterfloyd View Post
    Hiking Jim,
    Thank you for answering my question. I guess I should have asked a better question. What my question should have been, "do you use two attachment systems with two different quilts when you stack them together?

I'm trying to determine if I want to get another down quilt to mate with the synthetic, or get a sleeping bag. I hate drafts, but I want to try to save as much weight as possible. Guess you can have everything! This would be used with weather 20 degrees and lower.
    You definitely can combine quilts, and I have done so with a 40f and 20 of different brands (hammock gear 20f + unknown summer quilt from amazon), which worked fine. However, if you do that and go down to colder temps (eg: 10f or closer to 0f), you need a lot of insulation around your head, which can make the system a bit less efficient.
    So, when I go on trips where it may get to around 10f, I have brought my 20f quilt and then a good hooded down jacket (several ounces of down fill, not a ghost whisperer or something with 2 or 3 oz) and proper other layers and sleeping pad system. My winter down jacket is about 16-18 oz, and it doubles as part of the sleep system & warm camp jacket, and it adds head warmth and draft protection for upper body.

Carrying 2 quilts, head insulation, and other camp jacket/clothes to stay warm.... is not particularly weight-efficient IMO. A good sleeping bag becomes a good option below 20, but I go with combinations because I don't like buying stuff for short trips. I have a good winter bag, but it's too bulky and overkill for 10f.... so that's when the "addons" come out

++ New Posts ++