WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default (purchased) Black Diamond Ergo Cork Aluminum Poles (old model)

The new model has additional flash and texture. Sure, that makes it look more "pricey" which helps in selling them, but it means the top isn't as smooth when palming them in use.

I lost one pole of a set when I fell, ended up giving the other pole away and bought some Lekis.

I find I much prefer the BD Ergo Corks to the Leki ones, and the old ones to the new version.

Did a bunch of searches on-line, couldn't find any. I'm willing to pay $90 for a used pair in good condition.

Thanks.

//////////////////

Success!

Thanks.
    Last edited by Ethesis; 12-17-2019 at 18:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethesis View Post
    The new model has additional flash and texture. Sure, that makes it look more "pricey" which helps in selling them, but it means the top isn't as smooth when palming them in use.

I lost one pole of a set when I fell, ended up giving the other pole away and bought some Lekis.

I find I much prefer the BD Ergo Corks to the Leki ones, and the old ones to the new version.

Did a bunch of searches on-line, couldn't find any. I'm willing to pay $90 for a used pair in good condition.

Thanks.

//////////////////

Success!

Thanks.
    I’ve got a set of the ergo alpine carbon corks...old model like new. I prefer the straight handle on the std alpine carbon corks got ergo for my son who never uses...let me know if interested...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your concerned about the carbon don’t be! I’m 220 lbs and rough as hell with mine and have yet to break one! Recently had to replace the cork grips on mine but carbon going

I've been using BD alpine carbon cork poles for the last 15 years---because I bought two sets 15 years ago or whenever---so that amounts to 4 poles total. I only use one hiking pole on all my trips (gotta keep one hand free for pruner work on thicket trails)---and I'm now on my 4th and last pole. Why?

Because the blasted cork eventually cracks and falls apart. See pic. (The weird "sheen" is added Birkenstock cork saver).

This problem is hard to fix with new cork. My solution is to glue on some foam bicycle grips with mixed results---see last pic.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Recently had to replace the cork grips on mine but carbon going

Where did you get the cork and how did you do it??

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Where did you get the cork and how did you do it??
    Bought these from gossamer gear. Very easy too do. Only issue is they don’t have plugs for the holes so simply used wine corks..so far so good. I don’t use straps so they’re perfect for me....these poles have been to hell and back but nothing like yours! I called BD about grips they dont offer replacements but did offer me 40% off new pair, which I thought was very good CS.

Bought these from gossamer gear. Very easy too do. Only issue is they don’t have plugs for the holes so simply used wine corks..so far so good. I don’t use straps so they’re perfect for me....these poles have been to hell and back but nothing like yours! I called BD about grips they dont offer replacements

I watched the video on a guy doing just what you did and he ripped two gossamer grips in half trying to shove the small hole of the grips onto the larger hole of the pole. Did you have the same problem?? Plus, gossamer grips are not cork but a synthetic cork.

Btw---did you drill out the handle rivet for the top of the pole and remove it or did you cut it off with a saw??? In my pic I cut off the top palm handle and slid a foam grip down the pole shaft.

I watched the video on a guy doing just what you did and he ripped two gossamer grips in half trying to shove the small hole of the grips onto the larger hole of the pole. Did you have the same problem?? Plus, gossamer grips are not cork but a synthetic cork.

Btw---did you drill out the handle rivet for the top of the pole and remove it or did you cut it off with a saw??? In my pic I cut off the top palm handle and slid a foam grip down the pole shaft.
    I heated up the grips as guy on video did and was able to get on but used WD 40 as lube then thought would hold when dry...didn’t hold after a few day’s of use so reheated removed and add shoe goo..seem solid now...I’ll report back after Bartram trail in few weeks.

They are lighter and more comfortable than the real cork grips in my opinion...

Bought these from gossamer gear. Very easy too do. Only issue is they don’t have plugs for the holes so simply used wine corks..so far so good. I don’t use straps so they’re perfect for me....these poles have been to hell and back but nothing like yours! I called BD about grips they dont offer replacements but did offer me 40% off new pair, which I thought was very good CS.

Yo! Hit up GG and they'll mail you free plugs. Buncha people had the same request and GG is taking care of people

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Damn I tried that when I bought them they didn’t have em but that was 8 months ago....

Damn I tried that when I bought them they didn’t have em but that was 8 months ago....

This was a week ago. So many people complained about the current lt5 grip that they are being plugged from the get go now. They are redesigning how to have the strap attach.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    This was a week ago. So many people complained about the current lt5 grip that they are being plugged from the get go now. They are redesigning how to have the strap attach.

Thx...my cork plugs are glued in place...strange they didn’t change description....

Thx...my cork plugs are glued in place...strange they didn’t change description....
    Work in progress I presume. I asked for some and they mailed some out free of charge with no hesitation.

That's a drag. So I guess there's new grips in my mailbox and not just plugs. Still love my LT5s

That's a drag. So I guess there's new grips in my mailbox and not just plugs. Still love my LT5s

I can’t bitch too much as they refunded my purchase when they couldn’t provide plugs.....love the grips, don’t think the UL GG poles would hold my arse of the ground?

So just stuff a tiny bit of foam in the hole and plug it with some 5-minute epoxy and sand it smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    So just stuff a tiny bit of foam in the hole and plug it with some 5-minute epoxy and sand it smooth.
    I just covered the hole with a couple overlapping pieces of ripstop tape. No sweat.

I can’t bitch too much as they refunded my purchase when they couldn’t provide plugs.....love the grips, don’t think the UL GG poles would hold my arse of the ground?

I thought the same. I came from Aluminum Lekis. A wise man once told me if you're soft on aluminum poles, meaning no bent sections, then carbon would probably work for you. I still have the same tips on my Lekis after the 2500 miles of lots of use. Idk how its possible but they look new. So I guess I'm soft on my poles. Have never once felt like I'm over working the LT5.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++