WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default flip flop trip planning tool?

I'm planning a 2020 flip flop (nobo first) starting in central Virginia. I've been using the postholer on line planner, but it is difficult to convert mileage. It has some nice features (scaling up or down your anticipated miles per day with a slider, for example) that I can't duplicate in excel. Does anyone know of an online planner that allows you to start somewhere other than Springer or Katahdin, and adjusts the relative mileage? I know I could likely create a function in excel but I'm not that good at it, and I'm too busy shopping on line for bargains to learn that. I'm planning to buy the 2020 NOBO awol guide when it comes out, but by February my planning time frame is going to be compressed.

Journal Entries
    Images

Wikitrail has a planner I've used: http://www.wikitrail.org/planner/new/at
    Quote Originally Posted by chef4 View Post
    I'm planning a 2020 flip flop (nobo first) starting in central Virginia. I've been using the postholer on line planner, but it is difficult to convert mileage. It has some nice features (scaling up or down your anticipated miles per day with a slider, for example) that I can't duplicate in excel. Does anyone know of an online planner that allows you to start somewhere other than Springer or Katahdin, and adjusts the relative mileage? I know I could likely create a function in excel but I'm not that good at it, and I'm too busy shopping on line for bargains to learn that. I'm planning to buy the 2020 NOBO awol guide when it comes out, but by February my planning time frame is going to be compressed.
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

That's great, really helpful. I can make adjustments along the way.
    thank you

That thing is awesome!

I took a quick look at postholer.com and it has the ability to start and stop at locations other than Springer and Katahdin... And, I've used it to plan 4 separate section hikes (albeit on the PCT). My initial thoughts on planning a flip using postholer would be to create two itineraries, one going north from your starting point then one going south from your starting point.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptainkriz View Post
    Wikitrail has a planner I've used: http://www.wikitrail.org/planner/new/at
    Does this allow you to ramp up miles/day and hours hiking / day? I did not see how that would work. I would want to do something like 8/day for 3 weeks, then 10 / day then 12, 14 and 16. is that possible with this?

Default Postholer versus wikitrails

I tried adjusting the postholer site, but it put the mileage from springer (for example, waynesboro VA is mile 862, rather than the zero I would like). Then when I calculate mileage I have to uniformly subtract 862 from the distances. I could do that in excel, I guess. It’s possible I’m missing something. The Wikitrails site seems a bit easier. I think neither allows you to ‘ramp up’ over weeks, you would have to average or perhaps break the trail into separate sections.

You are trying to "plan" a variable that is unknown to you. Unless you have extensive hiking experience you aren't aware of how your body is going to condition to the trail. My best advice for you would be to read Mr. Tarlin's resupply articles and also Map Man's trail statistics. Although, they are based upon a Springer NOBO it will give you a starting point. Once your feet hit the trail you are going to be making adjustments to your "plan" regardless... As to the planning tools starting point not being zero, I would just generate an excel spreadsheet so that I could tweak the data to what I need.

As an aside, I start pretty fit (but maybe 10 pounds overweight) and find that I hit a new gear at 3 weeks and then again at 6 weeks. We are similar ages so maybe this could help?
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

MPD averages vary from week to week. Over the long haul, it may come out to say 15 MPD, but on any given week it could be much less or much more depending on conditions.

You will slowly build up daily mileage, but it won't be linear. It will come in fits and starts. It's also highly dependent on the spacing of shelters and campsites.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Of course. That assumption is built in to anyone’s plan. Then you adjust as you go. But that doesn’t mean one shouldn’t make projections and then adjust as needed. That’s how a planning tool should be used, with this understanding.

As a small business owner and project manager, I thought planning out my trip was just part of the process. That and it gave me something to put my excitement towards while I eagerly awaited go time. Other than the start date and the place I camped the first night, nothing worked out as planned. In hindsight, I wish I would have spent the time taking overnight hikes in the rain. Or eating Tuna packets three meals a day for a week. Finding something slightly annoying and maybe a little painful and doing it repetitively for several hours a day on off days. In short, the mental side of it is tough, and being wet stinks (literally). There are things you can do to help yourself prepare. But I don’t know that mapping out distances and timelines is one of them. Have a start date, and a couple of choices for a place to camp night one may two and then let go and enjoy every wonderfully miserable moment because it will end so much sooner than you can imagine.

If I could offer anyone any advice it would be:

If it looks like rain, just walk on.
    If it feels like time to quit, just walk on.
    If you walk on, you will make it even if you are slow.

That and A&D ointment God bless the person that made A&D ointment they are a Saint.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Had to Google A&D Ointment - yes, very important stuff. I'm in full agreement with Raeth, but planning is fun - part of the experience - even if it is pointless in the end.

Also fully endorse the idea of getting comfortable in the rain - you'll be there a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by chef4 View Post

All you would ever need: https://www.whiteblazepages.com/

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Elevation gain and loss each day until trail legs find that everything is easily do-able is my guideline. I recommend it.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

++ New Posts ++