WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

And that Maryland heights trail is nice at the top over looks HF. and the Shenandoah and Potomac rivers emerging to one. And excess to the c&o canal, there is a small parking lot but fills fast.

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    According to the ATC website furlough posted above the foot bridge attached will be permanently closed. Living close I've been across that thing many times in the past 30 years.
    No, it says "indefinitely". That could turn into permanently if funds or permission to fix/replace it isn't forth coming. Whoever owns the bridge will likely have a say in that.

Seeing that the alternative route isn't very good, there will likely be a big push to fix the bridge. How quickly that can be done is the issue and may not happen until the summer when the weather is more favorable for that kind of work. Hopefully it won't drag out for years.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Oh I thought indefinitely and permanently had the same meaning my bad. Funny I just asked a lady friend to hike up to Maryland heights with me the other day as she's never been up there. She didn't have to derail the train a simple no would have sufficed geeeez..

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Just out of curiosity, if they do NOT get it fixed by this spring, what would be an alternative? Ahhh, I may see it, the hike back over the Shenandoah River, walk parallel to US340 east, then over the Sandy hook bridge? Can pedestrians cross that one?
    Canoe rides? (I think that it has been done up in Maine? )

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by Furlough View Post
    From the ATC Website:
    Just before 4 a.m. on Dec. 21, 2019, a CSX train derailed from the bridge crossing the Potomac River at Harpers Ferry. There were no injuries or hazardous materials involved in the derailment. CSX is fielding calls about this incident by phone at 1.800.232.0144.
    The derailment affects access to parts of Harpers Ferry National Historical Park, Chesapeake & Ohio National Historical Park, and the Appalachian National Scenic Trail (A.T.). The following information details closures and impacts on visitor access.

• The footbridge attached to the CSX bridge is indefinitely closed.
    • Park users will be unable to cross between Harpers Ferry and C&O Canal towpath.
    • Park users will be unable to cross from Harpers Ferry to the Maryland Heights trail.
    • A.T. hikers with immediate need for transport between Harpers Ferry, West Virginia and Weverton Road, Maryland should arrange for shuttles. Hikers are not advised to walk on Highway 340 to cross into Maryland, as this roadway has narrow shoulders and heavy traffic. Information about available transportation options can be found at appalachiantrail.org/transportation.

Other areas of Harpers Ferry National Historical Park, such as The Point and John’s Brown Fort, are closed temporarily because of proximity to the derailment. These areas will reopen once cleanup and assessment are complete.
    We will update appalachiantrail.org/updates as more information becomes available.

Furlough
    This says to me indefinitely meaning no more. Park users won't have access to anything across the river period.

Journal Entries
    Images

This says to me indefinitely meaning no more. Park users won't have access to anything across the river period.
    Have there been any preliminary theories bantered about on why the train derailed?

As a bit of trivia, has everyone noticed the extra lengths of rails placed over bridges that run parallel to (but just inside of) the ones used by the train?

Not sure if their placement worked exactly as intended in this case, but they may have helped.

Dictionary definition of indefinitely: "for an unlimited or unspecified period of time." Seems to me "unspecified period of time" is the main factor here, but then, I am an optimist.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

No I just checked all the local news there saying under investigation. There were 7 empty grain cars not a weight issue, just old track failure?

Quote Originally Posted by ldsailor View Post
    Dictionary definition of indefinitely: "for an unlimited or unspecified period of time." Seems to me "unspecified period of time" is the main factor here, but then, I am an optimist.
    Thank you Webster and idsailor , optimistic as well let's rebuild!

I’m sure it will eventually reopen. It’s a key piece of tourist infrastructure in HF for visitors who venture out to MD heights. Good thing no one was injured.

Quote Originally Posted by atraildreamer View Post
    Canoe rides? (I think that it has been done up in Maine? )

From 1936 to 1948 hikers "crossed the Shenandoah River in flat bottom punts poled by ferrymen." - from 1974 edition of Guide to the Appalachian Trail from the Susquehanna River to the Shenandoah National Park.
    More walking, less talking.

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    I remember crossing the 340 bridge years ago (70's) but I can't recall how we got off the bridge and back down to the AT. I don't recall even hiking on the C&O back in those days. I guess you'd have to cross the 340 bridge into MD and get down to Sandy Hook Rd. You can defiantly get to the AT from Sandy Hook by crossing the Canal and tracks by the utility building just downstream from the bridge. I go that way to get to the HF Hostel on Sandy Hook Rd.
    Back in 1976 I hiked SOBO using the railroad bridge pedestrian plank walkway. The guidebook said thru hikers use the bridge at your own risk. The 1973 map and 1974 guide show the trail bypassed Harpers Ferry following the ridge down to route 340 and crossing the Potomac using the 340 bridge. The guide describes an "alternate trail" if you wanted to visit Harpers Ferry.That trail used the Loudon Heights trail and Shenandoah River bridge into Harpers Ferry and the railroad bridge to cross the Potomac on the way out going NOBO.
    More walking, less talking.

-

obviously most will use the 340 bridge, since they will not want to pay....

the ATC of course would not want the liability of "recommending" this

Journal Entries
    Images

Nice drone shot showing town and train here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/trains/comm...tm_name=iossmf

E3506344-9EC7-4963-8CFC-1EA47B79FFDD.jpegWe just walked our bikes across there in late September as we were completing the Great Allegheny Passage and the C&O Towpath. A real pain negotiating those stairs with loaded bicycles. That’s a really nice trip if you need a break from backpacking, the whole thing is just over 350 miles, we did a leisurely 10 days only camping the last night night after picking up gear in Harpers, we slept in motels and B and B’s otherwise.
    "every day's a holiday, every meal a feast"

Images

The Maryland Heights trail is in Maryland. The Loudoun Heights trail is in Virgina

Quote Originally Posted by elray View Post
    E3506344-9EC7-4963-8CFC-1EA47B79FFDD.jpegWe just walked our bikes across there in late September as we were completing the Great Allegheny Passage and the C&O Towpath. A real pain negotiating those stairs with loaded bicycles. That’s a really nice trip if you need a break from backpacking, the whole thing is just over 350 miles, we did a leisurely 10 days only camping the last night night after picking up gear in Harpers, we slept in motels and B and B’s otherwise.
    Yes they were big old tight metal spiral stairs had to negotiate very causesly. I've bike packed the c&0 the gap is definently on my list. Liked the campsites with the river access and picnic table, fire ring, out houses with nice smelling pretty blue water with toilet paper and those hand pumps for water but treated with iodine Yuk. Sorry for the drift.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Just out of curiosity, if they do NOT get it fixed by this spring, what would be an alternative? Ahhh, I may see it, the hike back over the Shenandoah River, walk parallel to US340 east, then over the Sandy hook bridge? Can pedestrians cross that one?
    I really hope they have it repiared by spring. The 340, sandy hook rd and bridge is very dangerous the bridge is 1 lane, very tight and dangerous. Considering the amount of folks that start pouring through here starting spring time, whew I don't want to think about that. Across the river and canal, bottom of the Maryland heights trail is a very small area for parking about 6 cars and 1/2 mile further is a small area for parking about cars that's it.

Journal Entries
    Images

I really hope they have it repiared by spring. The 340, sandy hook rd and bridge is very dangerous the bridge is 1 lane, very tight and dangerous. Considering the amount of folks that start pouring through here starting spring time, whew I don't want to think about that. Across the river and canal, bottom of the Maryland heights trail is a very small area for parking about 6 cars and 1/2 mile further is a small area for parking about cars that's it.
    So no space between the Jersey barrier and the bridge railing to walk?

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    So no space between the Jersey barrier and the bridge railing to walk?
    No not at all, sandy hook rd itself is a very curvy, tight no room on the other side of yellow line for people dangerous kind of rd. The bridge is about 1/2 mile down and the bridge itself is curved, 1 lane and about 8' wide maybe. No Jersey barriers no railing just a little country rd & 1 lane bridge with stone walls. About another 1/2 mile is the c&o and AT trails.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++