WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

What if the railroad bridge was used, albeit during a finite set of hours the rail companies could avoid using to allow Joe Hiker Man to safely pass?

This could in theory work. There could be times hikers can cross when no trains are due. And other times they would have to close somehow.

And it wouldn't have to be a walk across the train bridge the whole way. They could have hikers walk the train bridge and then cut back over to the walkway again where it is safe to do so. The problem I see here is all kinds of folks will be wanting to get to the other side young, old, loaded bicycles, loaded old people.

Has anyone considered what they did to the bridge at ATC's maintenance base Mid-Atlantic crews near Carlisle AKA the Scott Farm? If I remember correctly, the road was heavily traveled and narrow, much like a 340 bridge but in a rural setting. They decided to hang a pedestrian only bridge off the concrete bridge and thus became the bridge to safety. This might work in a prefab, pre-engineered scenario. It would be the answer to a long-term fix since the bridge going into HF is going to be down for quite a long time. Would like to hear some feedback from the group or possibly ATC.

Journal Entries
    Images

This article suggested that the tracks were going to be opened back up for trains last Sunday.

http://wvmetronews.com/2019/12/22/tr...emains-closed/

Was that the case?

If so, concerns over the abutments and serious damage to the bridge look to be unfounded, and rebuilding the footpath in a timely manner would just be a matter of determination.

That is a big “if” however.

Are the trains really back up and running?

Since last Sunday?

That's pretty fast to make any kind of official determination of accident cause and track/bridge/abutment integrity.

A lot of things work "in theory", unfortunately reality is much different. In this instance the AT footbridge is probably not very high on the priority list of the railroad at this point. The only silver lining I see is since the footbridge is part of the AT trail system and will have some weight in repair solutions and schedules.

In short term, I doubt any railroad operator would agree to pedestrian traffic on a narrow railroad bridge over water that required accurate and real-time information of scheduled and unscheduled train traffic to avoid being run over. There really is not a safe way to mix foot and train traffic in the same physical space. Since the late 1990's, over 7,000 people walking near railroad tracks have been killed by trains, approximately 6,000 have been injured. Facts like these are indisputable and will be at the top of the push-back list in denying access to foot traffic.

Journal Entries
    Images

Money?

i expect railway executives and government officials might find it easier to open a bridge to trains carrying all manner of freight (including dangerous chemicals) than it will be to give the go ahead to allow foot traffic once again.

And that the actual reconstruction of the footbridge might prove to be the easiest part of the process.

Can anyone confirm if the bridge was reopened to trains last Sunday?

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    Yeah but like previous posters pointed out it's probably private land these days . You can also see sandy hook rd just on the other side of the bridge running parallel to the AT and c& o canal. I think you have to go up keptryst rd , then make a right on sandy hook rd
    Private property like much of the AT back in those days.

I was just replying to Skyline's post and identifying the road.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    Private property like much of the AT back in those days.

I was just replying to Skyline's post and identifying the road.
    Ok,ok, calm down don't let your cream curdle. I to am just making observations and suggestions.

Maybe I missed it, but had/did the ATC make any public statements regarding a AT opening time line and the train derailment?
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by double d View Post
    Maybe I missed it, but had/did the ATC make any public statements regarding a AT opening time line and the train derailment?
    They said they don’t recommend walking any alternative route, and that hikers should call a shuttle to drive them around.

If you go to their website exact quote is in the Trail updates section.

The AT is no longer a continuous footpath from ME to GA.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    They said they don’t recommend walking any alternative route, and that hikers should call a shuttle to drive them around.

If you go to their website exact quote is in the Trail updates section.

The AT is no longer a continuous footpath from ME to GA.

it has not been a continuous footpath since 1986 when the Kennebec ferry became the official trail.

Quote Originally Posted by D2maine View Post
    it has not been a continuous footpath since 1986 when the Kennebec ferry became the official trail.
    And even before that, since you can't walk across the Kennebec. (Edit: I guess you can, but it's a bit of a detour to the bridge...)

The shuttle drivers will have to paint a white blaze on their car doors

RE the suggestion to walk the tracks? I doubt there is anything except air between the RR ties on the bridge. You'd have to tread very carefully.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    RE the suggestion to walk the tracks? I doubt there is anything except air between the RR ties on the bridge. You'd have to tread very carefully.
    My guess is that kind of trespass would be highly illegal, and something that should be discouraged by everyone. It would be beyond irresponsible.

I wonder, however, what the better solution would be in the minds of 2020 thru hikers and the ATC both: A suboptimal temporary Trail relocation, or a required 20 mile ride in a car, bus or Van?

I expect the latter for most people, but hope that a suitably safe walking option can be found again.

Or better still, that some connected folks find a way to work with the RR at the very highest level, in the hopes that the generosity they have shown in the past might be extended again to get the pathway fixed on an expedited schedule — especially if it is true that trains began running last Sunday evening.

Good question. It seems their message is to take ride to Weverton cliffs lot. I think if that is case, I would possibly walk the tow path back to the bridge and then back to Weverton, 3 miles each way. Though I have walked that before so I could see skipping it. Though if they do an alternate route I would do that. I can't imagine it being more dangerous that the roads I walk on to practice and also many of the highways I have crossed on the AT.

Images

It would appear that in the interim, a 2 mile or so road walk eastbound on US 340, before crossing the 340 bridge over the Shenandoah River into the town of HF (and bypassing the AT through town), would put one back on the AT / tow path once across the Potomac at the Sandy Hook bridge, about a mile "Trail NOBO" of the damaged bridge leaving town. The downside is that it's a not a particularly safe route - the road is high traffic with no shoulder - likely the reason ATC is recommending shuttling around the situation.
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 12-28-2019 at 12:52.

Shuttle from Shenandoah Street to Weverton Cliff parking.

The thru hiking purist would not approve. They would want a shuttle down sandy hook rd . And get back on across the bridge where the AT joins the c& o canal for 3 miles and up to weverton cliff parking.

Journal Entries
    Images

The thru hiking purist would not approve. They would want a shuttle down sandy hook rd . And get back on across the bridge where the AT joins the c& o canal for 3 miles and up to weverton cliff parking.
    Right now, per the ATC:

• In the event of an emergency, such as a flood, a forest fire, or an impending storm, blue-blazed trails or officially required roadwalks are viable substitutes for the white-blazed route.

Perhaps they will update their 2,000 mile requirement to allow for an officially required car, bus or van ride.

they can pay for a shuttle and deal with it

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++