WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

After waiting for my account validation, finally I can contribute to the discussion.

Here is another detour option, but only for early risers. The MARC commuter trains stop at Harpers Ferry and then at Brunswick, MD.

https://www.mta.maryland.gov/schedul...marc-brunswick

At least in theory, it would be possible to ride the commuter train to Brunswick, then hike 3 miles west on the C&O Canal towpath, and pick up the AT again.

I have not tried this, so if anyone does please let the forum know.

That's an interesting idea! Does the train run every day?

Glancing at their schedule, and if I understand it (far from given), NOBOs would pretty much have to overnight in HF to catch the train. I suspect it would be easier for SOBOs, as the trains will likely be late afternoon/early evening for them. Though this steel blazing option may be the most realistic in the short term.

Another option would be a back-roads walk to Sheperdstown (12-15 mi), cross the Potomac on the good bridge there, and take the Canal back down to HF (another 12 mi IIRC). There'd be lodging in S-town, and are a couple of campsites along the Canal.

I suppose one could dream up a route to use the Brunswick bridge, but a R-O-W would need to be established to get over Short Hill Mountain. And that bridge also has narrow, non-separated sidewalks (though usable, as I remember being on it when I was a kid).

Or have HFNHP set up a trolley service on the spur rail bridge (including the old main line now-spur) to get between states. That would also help with normal Canal access and MD Heights. Though I feel safe in saying that's not going to happen.

Finally, just reroute the railline to connect with the main CSX line somewhere west of HF. Now the footbridge part of the bridge can be widened to be the whole bridge. Probably the ideal solution, if it is possible.
    --
    EJS
    (Ed. S)

Quote Originally Posted by Tuxhiker View Post
    That's an interesting idea! Does the train run every day?
    Looking at schedules it appears to only run on weekdays, and only in the morning for northbound. $7.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by AegisIII View Post
    Glancing at their schedule, and if I understand it (far from given), NOBOs would pretty much have to overnight in HF to catch the train. I suspect it would be easier for SOBOs, as the trains will likely be late afternoon/early evening for them. Though this steel blazing option may be the most realistic in the short term.
    This is an excellent option for NOBO hikers hitting HF during a weekday, Train 878 departing HF at 6:50am, arriving at Brunswick at 7:05.

SOBOs wouldn't get to HF from Brunswick until 9:05pm.

Thanks Aegis!
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Actually that was reeseb's idea. Thanks and welcome to WB.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by reeseb View Post
    After waiting for my account validation, finally I can contribute to the discussion.

Here is another detour option, but only for early risers. The MARC commuter trains stop at Harpers Ferry and then at Brunswick, MD.

At least in theory, it would be possible to ride the commuter train to Brunswick, then hike 3 miles west on the C&O Canal towpath, and pick up the AT again.

I have not tried this, so if anyone does please let the forum know.
    This is a viable option, one that has not been mentioned. I think the train in Brunswick is really close to the canal as well, just a couple hundred ft. I believe. Thanks for giving folks another option and throwing into the mix . And. .

GA-ME 2011
    Images

The East Bound (what NOBOS would use) MARC station is about 200' from the Canal. Then it's a 3 mile walk to where the AT leaves the Canal towpath, same distance as you would walk coming from HF.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Well, if you're NB, best get up early:

First train for SB hikers would be @ 1651...

And remember, no trains on weekends...
    Be Prepared

Maybe they ATC could install a handcar
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    Maybe they ATC could install a handcar
    Beep- Beep, best idea yet!!

Images
    My name is Tabasco and I approve this message.

Yes indeed that does look promising. Good to know they're actually starting to piece it back together. This means they've deemed it structurally safe right? And if that's the case it really shouldn't take to long to rebuild. Thanks for putting that up Tabasco.

Journal Entries
    Images

S
    Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    Yes indeed that does look promising. Good to know they're actually starting to piece it back together. This means they've deemed it structurally safe right? And if that's the case it really shouldn't take to long to rebuild. Thanks for putting that up Tabasco.
    I watched the video and did not see any evidence of the rebuilding referred to in the commentary.

Did you?

The torqued side of the bridge with the walk way hanger shown in the video is not a great indicator that there is no structural damage. It's hard to say what the railroad and NTSB have determined what parts of the bridge can remain in place permanently or on a temporary basis until new components can be brought to site. One truism remains, nothing is ever as simple as it seems (or wished for) when it comes to bridge repairs, especially with transportation of very heavy loads.

The video offers speculation that repairs to the foot bridge are imminent showing some lumber stacked on site, said by the narrator to be "here" (presumably meaning delivered) for the walkway. The video itself lacks any evidence this material has been recently delivered, no visible heavy vehicle tracks or ruts in the ground or scalloped soil around the old rail lines that certainly would be visible with a load of this size recently dropped off. Greying of the timbers, pallets under the pile pushed into the dirt by the weight of the timbers indicate that pile of lumber has been there a while and though it is likely still usable does not appear to have been dropped there since the accident. Never mind the video was filmed about 4-weeks following the accident.

interestingly, the video narration includes the observation of a sign on the mountainside encouraging local residents to clean their toilets. Clearly a useful message lending well to speculations and a sense of humor. Speculations may prove true and the footbridge repaired in a short time, but the video does not provide much of any evidence this is the case.
    Last edited by Traveler; 02-13-2020 at 08:51.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    S
    I watched the video and did not see any evidence of the rebuilding referred to in the commentary.

Did you?
    Yes I did, according to the guy in the video he said that pile of lumber and compressor was for the foot bridge repair. And he said some of the cross arms have been repaired and he said " well at least their starting to work on it " . I suggest you go back and watch it.

Maybe I took the video the wrong way. But the guy in the video did state that there replacing the cross arms on the foot bridge. So if they've not deemed it safe would they be doing this? I don't know I'm not a engineer, I'm hopeful and optimistic. I personally just don't believe they would be welding cross arms back in place without deeming it structurally safe. The bridge itself is one bridge, one side for a very heavy train and one side for pedestrians. But in theory it's one bridge, so they just have to make sure the pedestrian side is safe enough. But the steel structure of the bridge itself the fountain of the bridge is now carrying trains across again for awhile now.
    Last edited by JNI64; 02-13-2020 at 09:01.

Images

I don't know JN, I'm a bit skeptical on the reliability of that video myself, as Traveler mentioned about that "lumber", it sure looks like that pile has been there for a while. If we knew who this guy is and his Cred, it would help.

I got skeptical right off the bat when the guy said "2019".... But, sure, we all date things wrong in January.

The biggest thing is that torqued main beam. How on earth can that be repaired to modern structural standards?

All said though, the video does give some hope.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    I don't know JN, I'm a bit skeptical on the reliability of that video myself, as Traveler mentioned about that "lumber", it sure looks like that pile has been there for a while. If we knew who this guy is and his Cred, it would help.

I got skeptical right off the bat when the guy said "2019".... But, sure, we all date things wrong in January.

The biggest thing is that torqued main beam. How on earth can that be repaired to modern structural standards?

All said though, the video does give some hope.
    Yeah that big steel beem is bent a little on one side, but it appears to be bent at the top not at the bottom where it sits on the pillar. And there's several of these big steel beems every couple feet across. This is the pedestrian walk only bridge so they may just modify and weld new cross arms and railing. Without having to replace it.

That big bent steel beam that was shown was from the smaller bridge, that the AT doesn't cross. I'm surprised they deemed that bridge structurally safe for trains.

If the lumber is for the bridge or not for it, they clearly have started doing some work on the bridge. It doesn't look like they just took down what was damaged, a close up would of helped but like he said it looks like they've at least repaired some cross arms. That lumber does look old but as far as no marks/ruts from delivery - the ground could of been frozen when delivered and then it could of sank in during warmer weather. I'm not saying I think it's for the bridge cause it does look old, just saying the ground has been frozen and we've gotten a lot of warmer weather this year to. The lumber could look old because of how it's treated, isn't railroad lumber treated with some kind of tar or something heavy duty? … maybe the footbridge lumber is treated the same way. All speculation of course.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
++ New Posts ++