WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Appalachian Trail Kick-Off 2020 happening?

Hello,

Trying to organize (and maximize) my hiking plans & related events for 2020.

Is Appalachian Trail Kick-Off 2020 happening?
    I can only find info from 2019 on the internet.

Cheers!
    Follow My Hiking Adventures: http://www.youtube.com/SaraDhooma
    Or if you just like photos: http://instagram.com/scifi_sara

Leonidas

As far as I am aware, yes it is happening. It should be March 6-8, 2020.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Will you be hiking the AT this year, or just visiting the Kickoff? I've enjoyed your videos. I'm leaving 2/11 so I will miss the kick-off event.

Cheers JC13!

And SkeeterPee, thank you! 🥰

I wanted to attend AT Kickoff but that weekend conflicts with a Toronto Camino de Santiago event that I am speaking at. 😢

However - I will be hiking on the Appalachian Trail in 2020!!! If timing is right I may attend even AT Trail Days. 🍺
    Follow My Hiking Adventures: http://www.youtube.com/SaraDhooma
    Or if you just like photos: http://instagram.com/scifi_sara

Sara,
    A thru hike, or just completing the section you have left?
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Hello!

I am hiking from the Springer at least 100 miles (not sure yet how far) in March. I’ll also do the Approach Trail because I didn’t in 2014. I’ve also hiking sections from the PCT southern terminus & CDT southern terminus!

I would like to attend Trail Days. Then I’ll travel to where I left off near the Connecticut border and head NOBO in New England.

I am not sure if I’ll go all the way to Katahdin. I have some missing sections on the CDT and PCT to also clean-up. I may save summitting Katahdin when it is the final piece for the Triple Crown.

It will be awesome to hike alongside the ‘Class of 2020’ hikers from each of the three big trails!

Since November 2019, I have left a number of voicemails, more than ten posts on the Amicalola Falls Lodge Facebook page, and six FB IMs. Not only has anyone from Amicalola Falls bothered to even respond, as of today (14 Jan -- six weeks from the assumed weekend), they have published ZERO accurate information about the 2020 Kickoff event. None. And they adamantly refuse to either respond to customers or update the information on the website.

Wasn't this kick off sort of an informal thing? Not sponsored by the ATC or the park right? Nothing at all like the flip-flop kick off in Harpers Ferry. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Leonidas

ALDHA is showing on the calendar that it is happening and I confirmed with Ramdino, who keeps in contact with the park weekly, that it is happening March 6-8.

Not sure how formal it is, I do understand that Bob used to be the co-organizer. Not sure who the other co-organizer(s) are. I dropped Odie a note but I didn't hear back, he's most likely too busy with Hiker Yearbook stuff currently.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Images

I spoke with Amicalola falls - it is definitely on for the weekend of March 6-8. Josh said they'd be putting out a press release in the next few days.

Supposedly it is happening 06 to 08 March. However, I am so fed up with ZERO response from the Lodge, despite nearly a dozen voicemails, messages, emails, and posts. No response at all. Nonexistent customer service does not motivate me to go spend money and time there. And clearly they have more business than they can handle since they don't bother to respond to multiple inquiries.

FINALLY, FINALLY -- after nearly four months and a dozen attempts -- I got a response from Amicalola Lodge. Wow, that is some impressive guest service!

The response today, via Facebook Messenger, indicated; "We do not yet have a full list of presenters or vendors since they have until February 20th to register. The updated list has been sent to our website administrator so should be up very soon. I don't have an exact date, and when I get a copy of the list I can send the info on to you."

I'm baffled by what that actually means. They don't have a full list, but they have sent the updated list to the web administrator?? Huh?

The Lodge AT Kickoff page STILL (23 January) indicates the dates of the event include 01, 02, 03 March 2019. The LEAST they could do is update the dates of the event. But apparently that is a bridge too far.

So far I'm really, really underwhelmed by the dismal organization and responsiveness of the Lodge. Between my interactions and a substantial number of negative Yelp and Google reviews, I've decided to cancel my Lodge room reservations and skip Kickoff Weekend. Base on what I've seen so far, I can't help but believe it will be a goat rodeo, major waste of time, and waste of a lot of $$.

-

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaPilot77 View Post
    it will be a goat rodeo, .
    sounds like a good description of trail days, but it is cheap and a good time

Hi everyone, I’m trying to decide the best time to plan my hike, probably a LASH from amicalola. Anyone here care to help me find my way back to the place where it shows all the people that have registered for 2020 thru-hike so I can see the numbers? Thanks in advance also if you have a suggestion about the best time to start. I’m a newby.

Check out my weekly update
    I go thru all the new.numbers and provide you with over 160 hikers links to heir information

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Check out my youtube channel
    Ramdino Roaming the Trails

Quote Originally Posted by RosemarySage View Post
    Hi everyone, I’m trying to decide the best time to plan my hike, probably a LASH from amicalola. Anyone here care to help me find my way back to the place where it shows all the people that have registered for 2020 thru-hike so I can see the numbers? Thanks in advance also if you have a suggestion about the best time to start. I’m a newby.
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    sounds like a good description of trail days, but it is cheap and a good time
    ATKO is really an informal time to get together with the hiker community for the first gathering. The vendors and speakers are nice but the fun is the fellowship down at hiker camp just across the road from the visitor center.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Check out my youtube channel
    Ramdino Roaming the Trails

++ New Posts ++