There are some great blogs 'out there' specific to LD hiking. My favorite is Beardoh and SweetPea's "Long Distance Hiker."

Link here to Beardoh's discussion of his and SweetPea's gear for PCT, but there is tons of good information if you thoroughly peruse this one blog.

The main thing is to get outside and do trips with whatever kit you have because, as others have said, you can't truly understand what YOU need and don't need based on someone else's experience. So many times, here and in other forums, we see folks stuck in "analysis paralysis" trying to dial in the perfect kit without ever having set foot on a trail, or never getting more than a few hours walking distance from their cars.

Beardoh sums it up nicely in his blog, from the link above, and I don't think I've ever seen it stated more succinctly:
All the above being said, I encourage/champion/condone hiking, camping and getting outside above all else…heavy pack, light pack, $25 tent, $1000 tent…whatever. Be outside on cold days, warm days, climb mountains in the rain, ford rivers in the heat, walk through deserts, plains, jungles, the dark green tunnel and below perfect blue Sierra skies – above all else…just get out.