Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 124
  1. #101

    Default

    There are some great blogs 'out there' specific to LD hiking. My favorite is Beardoh and SweetPea's "Long Distance Hiker."

    Link here to Beardoh's discussion of his and SweetPea's gear for PCT, but there is tons of good information if you thoroughly peruse this one blog.

    The main thing is to get outside and do trips with whatever kit you have because, as others have said, you can't truly understand what YOU need and don't need based on someone else's experience. So many times, here and in other forums, we see folks stuck in "analysis paralysis" trying to dial in the perfect kit without ever having set foot on a trail, or never getting more than a few hours walking distance from their cars.

    Beardoh sums it up nicely in his blog, from the link above, and I don't think I've ever seen it stated more succinctly:
    All the above being said, I encourage/champion/condone hiking, camping and getting outside above all else…heavy pack, light pack, $25 tent, $1000 tent…whatever. Be outside on cold days, warm days, climb mountains in the rain, ford rivers in the heat, walk through deserts, plains, jungles, the dark green tunnel and below perfect blue Sierra skies – above all else…just get out.
    UL, because nobody ever asks "How can I make my pack heavier?"

  2. #102

    Default

    ...........................

    (Sorry.... double post after edit!)
    Last edited by cmoulder; 01-15-2020 at 08:18.
    UL, because nobody ever asks "How can I make my pack heavier?"

  3. #103

  4. #104

    Default

    Not sure how to respond because I don't know what message you're trying to convey with this.

    Or maybe I'm the only one who doesn't get it.

    Whatevs.
    UL, because nobody ever asks "How can I make my pack heavier?"

  5. #105

    Default


    Beardoh sums it up nicely in his blog, from the link above, and I don't think I've ever seen it stated more succinctly:


    All the above being said, I encourage/champion/condone hiking, camping and getting outside above all else…heavy pack, light pack, $25 tent, $1000 tent…whatever. Be outside on cold days, warm days, climb mountains in the rain, ford rivers in the heat, walk through deserts, plains, jungles, the dark green tunnel and below perfect blue Sierra skies – above all else…just get out



    That's the message of the song. Guess you didn't get the connection. I thought you'd enjoy it since you said what you said.

  6. #106
    ME => GA 19AT3 rickb's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-12-2002
    Location
    Marlboro, MA
    Posts
    6,964
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post

    Beardoh sums it up nicely in his blog, from the link above, and I don't think I've ever seen it stated more succinctly:


    All the above being said, I encourage/champion/condone hiking, camping and getting outside above all else…heavy pack, light pack, $25 tent, $1000 tent…whatever. Be outside on cold days, warm days, climb mountains in the rain, ford rivers in the heat, walk through deserts, plains, jungles, the dark green tunnel and below perfect blue Sierra skies – above all else…just get out
    .

    That ignores human nature — i.e. the powerful need to fit in and have the same stuff that the cool kids have — be it Kylie lip kits, or ultra light hiking kits.

  7. #107
    4eyedbuzzard's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-02-2007
    Location
    DFW, TX / Northern NH
    Age
    63
    Posts
    7,926
    Images
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    There are some great blogs 'out there' specific to LD hiking. My favorite is Beardoh and SweetPea's "Long Distance Hiker."

    Link here to Beardoh's discussion of his and SweetPea's gear for PCT, but there is tons of good information if you thoroughly peruse this one blog.

    The main thing is to get outside and do trips with whatever kit you have because, as others have said, you can't truly understand what YOU need and don't need based on someone else's experience. So many times, here and in other forums, we see folks stuck in "analysis paralysis" trying to dial in the perfect kit without ever having set foot on a trail, or never getting more than a few hours walking distance from their cars.

    Beardoh sums it up nicely in his blog, from the link above, and I don't think I've ever seen it stated more succinctly:
    Quote Originally Posted by tinybee View Post
    I appreciate that you all have taken the time to help me get my packing weight down. I am considering all of your suggestions and have begun to lighten my load little by little. I agree with Traveler that a 2-3 day shakedown hike will really help me identify what I don't need.
    Just an observation: There's no teacher like experience. But listening carefully to the experience of others and heeding their advice when it makes sense to do so (usually there will be some consensus in a group of experienced people) can sure make those first hand lessons less painful. I've seen new hikers struggle trying to pitch a tent for the first time in the wind and rain; trying to cook a meal having never practiced beforehand, shivering in the cold wind in the Whites without the proper clothing... I would always recommend hopeful thru-hikers get out a bit on a few shakedown hikes and see what gear they really need, what skills they need to master, and what works for them personally. It isn't one size fits all. And while there isn't as much discussion on camp skills as there is on gear itself, being able to efficiently and timely make and break camp, cook food, etc, in the woods takes some practice and some time to learn. And knowing how to do so will make the early part of a hike much more enjoyable rather than expending significant time and often frustration trying to learn those skills on the fly. But if you error, error on the side of too warm, too much food, too much water, too much gear. You can mail what you learn you don't need home after the first week. Overloaded in this day and age is still lighter than what we hiked with 30 years ago, and we all seemed to manage just fine. Don't lose sleep because someone says your pack is 5 lbs too heavy - you'll figure it out.

  8. #108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post

    That's the message of the song. Guess you didn't get the connection. I thought you'd enjoy it since you said what you said.
    OK thanks, but there's so much reverb on the vocals I couldn't understand the words at all! I'll have to look up the lyrics.
    UL, because nobody ever asks "How can I make my pack heavier?"

  9. #109

    Default

    Speaking of songs related to this activity, Treeline (Bristlecone Music) may be of interest to listen to.

  10. #110
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-01-2019
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Age
    24
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    ...be it Kylie lip kits, or ultra light hiking kits.
    Is this in gear lists now? Should I get one and update my lighterpack sheet? I haven't heard about these, do I need a spare one, how long do they last? Does it improve my aerodynamics? Is there an ultralight Kylie lip kit by some cottage company yet?

  11. #111
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-09-2020
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia
    Age
    60
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Heading to SNP Monday AM for a 3 day hike. Low-mid teens expected on mtn. 3 days food, alchohol fuel, no water, loaded, ready to carry pack weighs 20.2#. Tarp (polycro) w/guy lines. Zero deg Lithium bag. Cook kit under 1/2 pound. Tyvek ground cloth. Exped UL winter down mat, Mass Drop Crown X60 pack modified, at 2#. BW at 12#

    Took me 40 years to get here. I remember the 50# expedition pack weights. Good luck.

  12. #112
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-09-2020
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia
    Age
    60
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Beware filters in Feb. Aquamira way to go and less weight.

  13. #113
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-09-2020
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia
    Age
    60
    Posts
    10

    Default

    2# food/day in winter is very real.

  14. #114
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-09-2020
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia
    Age
    60
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Tinybee, let's talk sometime. I'm in Glen Allen as well.

  15. #115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Muskrat View Post
    Heading to SNP Monday AM for a 3 day hike. Low-mid teens expected on mtn. 3 days food, alchohol fuel, no water, loaded, ready to carry pack weighs 20.2#. Tarp (polycro) w/guy lines. Zero deg Lithium bag. Cook kit under 1/2 pound. Tyvek ground cloth. Exped UL winter down mat, Mass Drop Crown X60 pack modified, at 2#. BW at 12#
    Took me 40 years to get here. I remember the 50# expedition pack weights. Good luck.
    I wanna see that polycryo tarp, construction details such as how guy lines are attached. Very interested to hear how it performs for you. Clear packing tape is good for repairs!
    UL, because nobody ever asks "How can I make my pack heavier?"

  16. #116

    Default

    And great job getting the weight down there. I remember the old days carrying 50-70lbs.
    UL, because nobody ever asks "How can I make my pack heavier?"

  17. #117
    4eyedbuzzard's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-02-2007
    Location
    DFW, TX / Northern NH
    Age
    63
    Posts
    7,926
    Images
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I wanna see that polycryo tarp, construction details such as how guy lines are attached. Very interested to hear how it performs for you. Clear packing tape is good for repairs!
    I've never built one, but there's a great tutorial on one here https://backpackinglight.com/forums/...-a-frame-tarp/

  18. #118
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-23-2019
    Location
    Harpers ferry wv.
    Age
    56
    Posts
    586

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Muskrat View Post
    Beware filters in Feb. Aquamira way to go and less weight.
    Yeah after letting a couple sawyers freeze, I had to switch to aquamira in winter. You just have to keep them some place warm like jacket pocket or something . Guess I'm not as responsible as I thought.

  19. #119
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-09-2020
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia
    Age
    60
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Who wants to carry a wet filter inside your jacket in winter? Or inside a snug down bag? Been there, dun that.

  20. #120
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-09-2020
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia
    Age
    60
    Posts
    10

    Default

    I just use duct tape doubled over on the polycro edges and corners. Leave a couple inches hanging off and use stake directly thru to ground or thread guy lines thru middle end of tape. Use trek poles for height. I took a pic, but don't see how to post from phone.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •