WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Storage of Gear

Default Storage of Gear

What are some good options for containers for storing all my gear between trips? I'm currently using a large Rubbermaid Action Packer but it doesn't hold everything and it's not stackable. I have limited space as I store all my gear in my home office so stacking containers would be good.

Thanks!

Seakayaker

I have several totes in the basement that do stack, but would need to get a close look at them this evening to get you a model number/brand. That seems to work well in combination with a set of shelves. Amazon has a few options for reasonably priced and sturdy shelving. I just ordered a set of 14x82x48" shelves for $90 that can be rolled around. That should work well for storing sleeping pads on top with adjustable shelf height for other gear below.

Edit - the totes we have are similar to these:
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays...-of-8/55489780
    An 8 pack of 18 gallon totes is $40, and you could probably stack at least 4 high so you could get a lot of sealed storage space in two columns.

I'd highly recommend boxes (totes, as you may call them) that are transparent, so you can see from the outside what stuff is inside.
    Like the ones I'm using for older office stuff and most of my climbing/hiking gear:
    https://www.ikea.com/at/de/p/samla-b...ent-s69903214/

I think that's this one on the US website:
    https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/samla-box-clear-90102971/

https://www.menards.com/main/storage...95-c-12667.htm

These are great because the lid sections stay attached when bin is open, and they are stackable.

@CalebJ:
    Wait, half the price than in the EU?
    OK, you have to buy the lid separate, but still...

The boxes work just fine, only downside is that the plasticmaterial is becoming quite brittle when cold.
    I have most of my storage in an unheated loft and broke some of them while manipulating them clumsily when really cold.

Quote Originally Posted by trailmercury View Post
    https://www.menards.com/main/storage...95-c-12667.htm

These are great because the lid sections stay attached when bin is open, and they are stackable.
    I just came back to post something similar - the integrated lid might be a good idea.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-27-G...NE-5/205978361

I have used both and the integrated lid is a huge difference.

Duffel Bags > Totes for space saving. Less stuff = less storage needs.

Gear closet. And that's not everything. Sleeping bags are under my bed, jackets and clothes in another closet.
    I really should get rid of that giant -20 hollow fill bag from the late 70's and maybe I really don't need 11 packs...
    SAM_5048.JPG
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    Duffel Bags > Totes for space saving. Less stuff = less storage needs.
    fastfoxengineering = hiker trash!

I mean that in the most endearing way possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Gear closet. And that's not everything. Sleeping bags are under my bed, jackets and clothes in another closet.
    I really should get rid of that giant -20 hollow fill bag from the late 70's and maybe I really don't need 11 packs...
    SAM_5048.JPG
    I wish all my junk would fit in a closet... It's expanded into the guest bedroom at the moment. Maybe with a second set of shelves I can bring it back to one area in the basement again.

And yet somehow there's always a piece of gear I want to add to the collection for a particular purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    I just came back to post something similar - the integrated lid might be a good idea.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-27-G...NE-5/205978361

I have used the plastic 18 gallon totes from Walmart (good for cheap storage), the clear ones (WONDERFUL to see contents..even though I also label the outside), and the integrated ones (more expensive but durable). In climate controlled areas, the first two work well; however, when we stored things in an unheated storage unit, these were brittle and broke apart as Leo L. noted. The integrated ones have been holding up fine for us in unheated storage.

All of my camping and hiking gear has been in a small closet in my living room since I started accumulating it. Now it doesn't all fit, and my fiance and I are moving into a new house. She has made it clear that in the new house, my camping/ hiking gear can either be in the shed, the workshop, or the garage... So I'm either going to have to build a closet in the workshop, or get good, strong, stackable totes.
    I don't want to store my down sleeping bags/ quilts in totes though, for fear they'll get funky ...where do you guys and gals store your down sleeping bags?
    The two I have currently are in their large storage bags on top of the dresser in the spare bedroom.

Quote Originally Posted by trailmercury View Post
    fastfoxengineering = hiker trash!

I mean that in the most endearing way possible.
    All you need is two duffel bags. If you have anymore... you got too much stuff lol!

I must have way to much stuff. Since my daughter and her husband moved out I took a whole room as my gear room. She left a long short dresser with lots of drawers so utilizing the drawers , 1 has homemade stoves, 1 has fire making stuff, 1 hasmaps etc. And I have them labeled. Closet full of hiking clothes, boots , winter gear etc. Nice having a whole room dedicated to all my hiking crap.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    All of my camping and hiking gear has been in a small closet in my living room since I started accumulating it. Now it doesn't all fit, and my fiance and I are moving into a new house. She has made it clear that in the new house, my camping/ hiking gear can either be in the shed, the workshop, or the garage... So I'm either going to have to build a closet in the workshop, or get good, strong, stackable totes.
    I don't want to store my down sleeping bags/ quilts in totes though, for fear they'll get funky ...where do you guys and gals store your down sleeping bags?
    The two I have currently are in their large storage bags on top of the dresser in the spare bedroom.
    What? You're a WB member and you don't have a dedicated gear room?! My two sleeping bags get stored in their large manufacturers bags on the top of my gear shelf which is 36w x 18d x 72h. A couple of packs, a tent, and a hammock, are the next shelf down. All the rest which includes some books and guides goes in cardboard boxes on the bottom two shelves. But I'd never store stuff in a non climate controlled space - especially in a climate like Florida. Humidity and changing temperatures leads to mold and mildew, insects, animals looking for nesting material, etc.

Images

As an official Empty Nester, I have a dedicated gear room.
    My name is Tabasco and I approve this message.

Sorry I forgot to add to my post, I acquired a long 1" strip coat hanger with about 12 hangers that I screwed to the wall to hang all my packs, works really well.

I have most of my major gear in a laundry room. It was sized for a washer and dryer and that is about it. I went to Home Depot and bought a vinyl coated wire shelf that is about 20" deep that runs from one wall to the other above the washer and where the dryer should go (I dont own a dryer) The rack has a built in hanger rack. It looks like this https://www.homedepot.com/p/ClosetMa...7403/203032253 I have it set about 18" down from the ceiling. This is normally a dead space in a laundry room. I have my collection of sleeping pads and a sleeping bag on top. I hang clothes underneath in the space where the dryer went. I expect the shelf could be mounted lower and it could be used to store totes although there is a weight limits to the shelving. They sell accessory braces to support the shelf in the center to up the capacity. On one of the side walls I have row of pegs to hang things like dont stick out from the wall like poles, straps, crampons and gaiters. Sure its bit crowded but its a laundry room with door on it.I do not typically give tours of my laundry room

The tough thing with storage space is its real easy to just store stuff I dont use anymore that I probably never will. I try to go through the inventory on occasion and turf the obvious stuff like old worn out socks or gloves with holes in them. The tough stuff is the perfectly good gear that has been replaced, probably useful for someone else but not for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++