WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Showering

Images

Default Showering

If you’re doing a town supply stop but don’t plan on staying in town. Where can you take a shower?
    My name is Tabasco and I approve this message.

A guidebook such as the AT Guide or Guthook will tell you all of this info, because it can be different from town to town

Images

some gas stations have showers....

along with some private campgrounds...

Lots of hostels allow you to pay for only a shower. Some public facilities have quarter shower machines. Hiker friendly places understand some hikers just want a shower and laundry

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Surprised nobody has mentioned a bucket "shower" in the woods away from others, using a water-carrier of some kind (I like the 10 liter Sea to Summit), some Campsuds, and a pack towel. Not as nice as a real shower, but way better than staying grimy and sweaty. A bonus is to wash out your hiking clothes at the same time. I have done this literally hundreds of times.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    Surprised nobody has mentioned a bucket "shower" in the woods away from others, using a water-carrier of some kind (I like the 10 liter Sea to Summit), some Campsuds, and a pack towel. Not as nice as a real shower, but way better than staying grimy and sweaty. A bonus is to wash out your hiking clothes at the same time. I have done this literally hundreds of times.
    That's the sort of thing I was thinking.

For my JMT thru hike, I applied sunscreen on my arms and legs twice a day. I didn't want the oils to get into my tent and sleeping bag, so every night, I did a "sponge" bath to wash the oils off (and wash other places). Rather than a huge 10 liter water bucket, I would instead warm a few cups of water on the stove. Mix some campsuds on a small pack towel to wash off, then squeeze out the soap and continue using the warm water and small pack towel to rinse off.

I also took along an extra water-proof stuff sack to use as a washing machine. I carried an extra set of cloths to sleep in, so every other day, after a sponge bath, I would change into my sleep clothes and wash my hiking clothes. The underwear, shorts, and shirt would dry over-night on some line strung up between two trees (I learned to feed the line THRU the shirt and pant leg, and loosely tie the sock to the line to prevent them from blowing away at night). The wool socks would NOT dry overnight, so I packed two pair, wearing a pair for two days, then wash and dry them while I wore the other pair.

Since the OP posted his question on January 3---I assume he's not talking about or desiring to take a bucket shower in the woods at 10F. So what's the answer with the 10 degree reset???

I can only speak about the southern half of the AT, but I don't think you will have any problem at all finding shower facilities. NOC, various places in Damascus, Pearisburg, to name but a few, all have places to allow you to get cleaned up for just a few dollars.

Once in Franklin, TN, while waiting on a ride to get back to my truck, Ron Haven offered to let me take a shower in one of his hotel rooms for a very nominal fee. I can't tell you how grateful I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Since the OP posted his question on January 3---I assume he's not talking about or desiring to take a bucket shower in the woods at 10F. So what's the answer with the 10 degree reset???
    There would be significant shrinkage.

No need to assume that, town supply is a year round question and more generally a warmer months question in regard to the AT. However, I will throw out that using a 3-liter platypus and a drilled soda cap you can get a decent shower in the woods. In the times I've done this, I have heated a liter or so of water to mix with the cold water.

Looking at my copies of Whiteblaze Pages, Attroll has showers listed with a shower icon in both but the 2019 one says shower available without stay but in describing the icon for 2020 it just says shower available. Probably best to check on a case to case basis if listed for an overnight establishment and obvious for others.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I can only speak about the southern half of the AT, but I don't think you will have any problem at all finding shower facilities. NOC, various places in Damascus, Pearisburg, to name but a few, all have places to allow you to get cleaned up for just a few dollars.

Once in Franklin, TN, while waiting on a ride to get back to my truck, Ron Haven offered to let me take a shower in one of his hotel rooms for a very nominal fee. I can't tell you how grateful I was.
    He was probably grateful too!
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post

This is me. I mostly prefer not staying under a roof in town but want a real shower even if under a waterfall. I find approaching hotels and motels of the two star kind between 10am and 1 pm during checkout when the rooms are being cleaned a maid or Office MNGR will often let me take a shower for $5 or for free if I'm cordial.

If I'm out in winter for more than 3 days, I heat up some water in my cookpot and dip my packtowel into it to wash my face, pits, and nether regions as best I can, usually quite carefully while in my shelter and having whatever is not being actively washed fully clothed. This can also be done by a fire, if you make one, or right after setting up camp if you get in on the early side and there is any sunshine still out. In below zero F, I probably would do even less, though I do not go out in temps that low for any extended periods.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

You can go a long time without washing in the winter. Not so much in July.

If you can keep your face and hands clean, that's 90% of the battle and isn't hard to do. If it's more then a few days to the next available shower, being able to wash your hair is nice. You just need a water bag or bladder, a near-by source of water, a little soap and a tree branch to hang the water bag onto.

Finding a nice good flowing stream in the middle of the day is a nice place to stop, soak the feet and rinse the sweat and grim off and ring out the t-shirt and bandanna. Don't use soap, or if you do, wash away from the stream at least a little ways.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    If I'm out in winter for more than 3 days, I heat up some water in my cookpot and dip my packtowel into it to wash my face, pits, and nether regions as best I can, usually quite carefully while in my shelter and having whatever is not being actively washed fully clothed. This can also be done by a fire, if you make one, or right after setting up camp if you get in on the early side and there is any sunshine still out. In below zero F, I probably would do even less, though I do not go out in temps that low for any extended periods.
    This is pretty much my winter technique too---a wet (paper) towel bath across the face and neck and problem areas. On my last December trip I reached Day 12 and seriously needed a scalp and hair washing in a river next to camp---so I used the cook pot as a "shower head" and completely washed hair/scalp with bronners soap. Mucho needed. It was below freezing and the water was so DANG cold I could only manage 7 rinsings before stopping the madness due to the pain.

I don't know how DiCaprio jumped into river water at -30F to make The Revenant.

Images

a shower head that attaches to any pop bottle size threaded container. A 2 liter bottle or Squeeze bag or whatever.

https://www.simple-shower.com/produc...-simple-shower

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    a shower head that attaches to any pop bottle size threaded container. A 2 liter bottle or Squeeze bag or whatever.

https://www.simple-shower.com/produc...-simple-shower

You could just poke some holes in the bottle cap too...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    You could just poke some holes in the bottle cap too...

And that might be better in some ways. As much as the Simple Shower looks like a cool piece of kit, some might find it empties too fast. 18 seconds per liter, they claim. The poked holes in bottle cap probably results in an slowly-emptying "glug glug" that could be advantageous in terms of how long it lasts, though rinsing may take longer. Balancing act.

In severe cold, I usually skip showering or washing of any kind, except that I'm trying hard to stay clean "down there" no matter what.
    Not so much of a problem if there is snow that can be put to good use to clean up after toilet.

For normal weather, I used to use some water bottle to pour water over head and body, but found that it would need one extra hand to handle it well.
    I've learned about sponge bath here at WB and find it the greatest and most water saving way to get clean in the outdoors.
    A shamwoa is part of my toiletry kit since then wherever I go. It also works more comfortabely in chilly weather, way better than any kind of shower.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++