WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Planning Food Drops in the HMW

I've searched for recent posts but didn't find anything on point. I want to set up 1-2 food drops in the HMW to keep my pack weight down. I plan to re-supply in Monson, and then re-supply again from a food drop. The next re-supply would be either at White House Landing or a second food drop. Has anyone done this--one food drop at, say Katahdin Ironworks Road, and a second at Jo-Mary Road or White House Landing? I saw on-line that there is an outfit called 100 Mile Wilderness--Adventures and Outfitters--that will do two food drops for $75. I know the AT Lodge also does food drops. I've contacted the AT Lodge but will likely not hear back for a while since they're closed until May.

Quote Originally Posted by QuietStorm View Post
    I've searched for recent posts but didn't find anything on point. I want to set up 1-2 food drops in the HMW to keep my pack weight down. I plan to re-supply in Monson, and then re-supply again from a food drop. The next re-supply would be either at White House Landing or a second food drop. Has anyone done this--one food drop at, say Katahdin Ironworks Road, and a second at Jo-Mary Road or White House Landing? I saw on-line that there is an outfit called 100 Mile Wilderness--Adventures and Outfitters--that will do two food drops for $75. I know the AT Lodge also does food drops. I've contacted the AT Lodge but will likely not hear back for a while since they're closed until May.
    Call shaws. They know all

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Figure that out when you get there. They don't need a whole lot of notice and will be heading out and back pretty much everyday during the season. Now that this food drop buisness model is firmly established, it's not going to stop.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Yea, Shaw’s in Monson, or the same family I believe has an outfitter at the other end. That said, we arranged for a drop, but made the HMW in 4 nights, one of which was enjoying pizza at White house Landing, so basically carried the whole food drop out...

If it's on a nobo thru or LASH consider by the time most get there they are in primo mileage acquiring and LD shape.

I've always done Shaws or Monsoon and then a box or buy (check ahead to see what's available) at WHL.

Quote Originally Posted by QuietStorm View Post
    don't tell him you are a thru-hiker - he absolutely wants nothing to do with them...not sure of his thoughts on section hikers.

Quote Originally Posted by D2maine View Post
    don't tell him you are a thru-hiker - he absolutely wants nothing to do with them...not sure of his thoughts on section hikers.
    Interesting.
    I used his business as my shuttle when I finished Maine (from the Kennebec River/Caratunk to Abol Bridge on the Golden Rd) in 2018 and had no issues what so ever with him, or his driver. In fact, I easily say it was an outstanding experience all the way around.

I mailed my food to Shaws though because it was 'manned' 24/7. Easy peazy, no muss no fuss.

While I did not do any food drops through/in the HMW, Shaws definitely does accommodate hikers with food drops in/through the HMW. Friendly and helpful folks there for sure!

willin'

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

I used 100 Mile Wilderness Adventures last year and had a great experience. The owner does focus more on section hikers, weekenders, and others that may not even be hiking.

At any rate, he's a 3 time thru hiker, ME native, and very knowledgeable of the area. I used his service for resupplies at Katahdin Ironworks and Jo-Mary roads, for a shuttle at the end (from Baxter back to Monson) and I stayed at his place before I started and after I finished.

Quote Originally Posted by u.w. View Post

...I mailed my food to Shaws though because it was 'manned' 24/7. Easy peazy, no muss no fuss.

While I did not do any food drops through/in the HMW, Shaws definitely does accommodate hikers with food drops in/through the HMW. Friendly and helpful folks there for sure!

willin'
    Shaw’s charges a flat fee delivery charge of $80 (in 2017) to Jo-Mary Rd. But that can be divided by the number of hikers. There were four of us, so it only cost us $20 per person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I wish I would have used Shaw's for a food drop. I carried in all my food and very nearly ran out. Had to do two 25+ days back to back in the end to make it out to Abol Bridge to resupply. Bad planning on my part

All my hiking friends highly recommended a Shaw's drop. Split it between 4-5 hikers and you're golden

Just so everyone is aware.

Nobo thru hikers are literally starving by the time they get to Abol Bridge.

On my weekend trip to Katahdin this year I took a stroll down the golden road to Abol Bridge.

About 10 nobos came out of the 100mile wilderness. All were pretty much completely out of food. Hungry as all can be. Honestly not enjoying themselves due to hunger.

The store at Abols bridge was closed. I don't even know if its open for business anymore. Looks deserted.

They didn't have any way of getting into Millinocket anytime soon. Some had a shuttle planned but that was in a few hours.

If it wasn't for some spare bagels, peanut butter, and jelly I had in my truck. They woulda a rough afternoon.

For a nobo thru hiker. The timing of a 100mile food carry on the AT is a terrible lol.

Thru hikers getting thru the 100 mile in 5-6 days are pushing themselves realllly hard. Typically not enjoying it at all. The 100 mile isn't flat nor easy as some claim. Especially when you leave monson with the largest food carry on the trail. Thru's can do it. But they don't think they can "just do it" in 6 days. Everyone I know who did that was pushing 110%.

8 days in the 100 miles is so more enjoyable. And you won't walk out to Abols starving without food. You can avoid going into Millinocket this way to.

If you're on a budget. Consider the cost of a food drop vs needing to go into Millinocket for a night when Katahdin is literally right there.

Millinocket is far from Baxter. There is plenty of good food their though. Restaurants, cafe, saloon, grocery store. But it's not like you come out of the 100 mile and there it is.

You'd be lucky to get the 30min hitch into town. Most rely on the AT hostel shuttle.

I saw alot of people forced to go into Millinocket but exiting the 100 mile with no food.

Those that did a food drop were able to hike into baxter and summit Big K with enough food.

Depending on weather this may or may not be beneficial and/or save money.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    On my weekend trip to Katahdin this year I took a stroll down the golden road to Abol Bridge.
    About 10 nobos came out of the 100mile wilderness. All were pretty much completely out of food. Hungry as all can be. Honestly not enjoying themselves due to hunger.
    The store at Abols bridge was closed. I don't even know if its open for business anymore. Looks deserted.
    It was open for us last year, we came out of the HMW on 8/25.

We did the HMW in 4 nights/5 days. The first two days were demoralizing, not getting anywhere near the mileage we had planned on. That made for 3 really, really tough final days.

Quote Originally Posted by Crushed Grapes View Post
    It was open for us last year, we came out of the HMW on 8/25.

We did the HMW in 4 nights/5 days. The first two days were demoralizing, not getting anywhere near the mileage we had planned on. That made for 3 really, really tough final days.
    Yeah I was there early October. Probably closed for the season. 5 days thru the 100 mile is pushing pretty hard. Not many do that. Kind of a crappy way to finish the AT in my experience. I know a lot of people just want to be done at that point, but as you said. You gotta kill yourself to do so.

If I ever hike the AT again, granted my base weight would be much lower, I would go SOBO and prob take 9 days from Katahdin to Monson.

The 100 mile is one of the most scenic parts of the trail too. Kinda sucks to put the head down and blast thru it.

AT lodge is the cheapest option for a single food drop unless you split the cost of a food drop from shaws as mentioned above. White house landing does not have sufficient resupply and having bill or Linda drive you somewhere to do so will be expensive. Looks like the outfitter company you found has the best deal but as mentioned earlier, dont say you're a thru hiker.
    MEGA '19

-

compared to the campstore at abol bridge, any drop option is a bargain - prices at the cafe were ok

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    Yeah I was there early October. Probably closed for the season. 5 days thru the 100 mile is pushing pretty hard. Not many do that. Kind of a crappy way to finish the AT in my experience. I know a lot of people just want to be done at that point, but as you said. You gotta kill yourself to do so.
    If I ever hike the AT again, granted my base weight would be much lower, I would go SOBO and prob take 9 days from Katahdin to Monson.
    The 100 mile is one of the most scenic parts of the trail too. Kinda sucks to put the head down and blast thru it.
    FWIW, I still had to hike from Franconia Notch to Harpers afterwards to complete my flip, after summiting Katahdin. I did a pretty unorthodox flip, but finished the dang thing haha

++ New Posts ++