WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Quehanna trail 75 mile loop

Just curious if anyone has hiked this trail I am thinking of doing it in March and I want a nice secluded hike and also curious of scenery, it’s a tossup between quehanna trail or going back to cranberry wilderness

https://youtu.be/m7CBi7quRNs

I haven’t done it but it’s been on my list for a while. Frozen (Outdoor Adventures) has a pretty thorough vlog on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have hiked most of the trails in the Quehanna, including the entire main trail. It is an elevated plateau broken up by stream drainages that provide the ups and the downs. It's PA rocky and rooty, but has a large variety of ecosystems and is a beautiful area, one of my all time favorites for local trips from NEOH. It is a challenging trail to hike, but worth it. If you start at Parker Dam and are not making your intended mileage, you can cut off some of the tougher QT by using the Eastern Cross-Connector.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Thanks for the replies! I made up my mind to do this hike this spring from what you’ve described and what I’ve read about it it seems like a nice place to go.

I've hiked the whole trail, it's a great hike. Beautiful streams, some views, big meadows, cascades, rhododendron thickets, isolation, hemlocks and great camping. There are wild elk herds and some beaver activity. I'm partial to the trails in the Quehanna Wild Area, such as the northern East Cross Connector, Bridge, Lincoln, Teaberry, Bellefonte Posse, and Kunes Camp are all superb trails with some vast meadows that are reminiscent of Dolly Sods.

https://endlessmountains.wordpress.c...nna-wild-area/

This is a report from a backpack trip in the Quehanna Wild Area from a few years ago. Beautiful place, the wild area is one of my favorite places to backpack.

Images

I hiked the 75-mile loop in the fall several years ago and continue to hike there using various loop options with the many trails. It's where I take my grandsons to introduce them to backpacking. I will that you could encounter any kind of weather in March. I zeroed in my tarp during a Mid-State hike not far west of the QT a few years ago in mid-April when 12" of wet snow fell overnight. Also, I strongly recommend treating hiking garb with Permethrin. N Central PA is tick central.
    Last edited by handlebar; 01-09-2020 at 21:43.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Thanks for info handlebar and jmitchell, I know how ticks are handlebar they are bad here in southern oh too never used to be this bad by the way that’s a pretty impressive list of trails you’ve done you must be a good man that is something that I would love to do someday but I have to stick with smaller trips for now, but my soul is always on a trail somewhere

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Highlonesome View Post
    Thanks for info handlebar and jmitchell, I know how ticks are handlebar they are bad here in southern oh too never used to be this bad by the way that’s a pretty impressive list of trails you’ve done you must be a good man that is something that I would love to do someday but I have to stick with smaller trips for now, but my soul is always on a trail somewhere
    All those trails were after I turned 61. The key is to stay in shape, save your money, reduce expenses. That's what gave the freedom and ability to continue long distance hiking.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Quote Originally Posted by handlebar View Post
    All those trails were after I turned 61. The key is to stay in shape, save your money, reduce expenses. That's what gave the freedom and ability to continue long distance hiking.
    Impressive indeed all that hiking after 61? You give me inspiration and hope as I hope to retire at 62. Oh yeah then it's on full time hiking.

Getting ready to do this but have a question , which way would be best for this trail clockwise or counter clockwise I am going to start from Parker dam

++ New Posts ++