WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: ZPacks Zero

Default ZPacks Zero

Long shot I know.. but I am looking for a minimally spec'd Z-Packs Zero.. a stripped down version. Hoping to find one that is in 0.51 cuben.. with or without pockets or hip belt. I had a chance at one a few months back, and regret not buying it.

If you have one in your gear closet and aren't using it.. let me know!!

-

made a brain in .51 cuban - was ok for about 70 days use, similar to ul stuff sacks - really most practical if you sew/ rebuild it your self

the material would be about 100, then 50-60 for a rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    made a brain in .51 cuban - was ok for about 70 days use, similar to ul stuff sacks - really most practical if you sew/ rebuild it your self

the material would be about 100, then 50-60 for a rebuild
    Yes.. thanks. I already have an Arc Blast and a Nero.. the Zero is more a curiosity than a need. Not planning a thru-hike with it..

I have tons of 0.51 stuff that lasting multiple seasons. Also have tons of 1.0 stuff that really takes a beating.

-

you got me looking at that - material would not be that much if you ordered to build several - might be the next project later this year

Sorry for not getting your PM yesterday, I assume that's what it was about. I sold mine a month or two ago. Sorry!

For what it's worth, I love the Mountain Laurel Designs pack that I replaced the Zero with. It's the 'Core', as I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Yes.. thanks. I already have an Arc Blast and a Nero.. the Zero is more a curiosity than a need. Not planning a thru-hike with it..

I have tons of 0.51 stuff that lasting multiple seasons. Also have tons of 1.0 stuff that really takes a beating.
    I think you'll be quite dissapointed with trying to use a .51dcf pack. Or even a 1.0 pack. Handy Andy made one and it was shredded in like 3 days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMm6d25FUQQ - he shows his cuben pack in this video.

If I was going to use straight DCF on a pack. minimum it would be 1.43 ... but even that isn't gonna last long or remain waterproof at all.

If you take a gentle pass on rock with anything other than hybrid cuben, it simply eats right thru it.

Long shot I know.. but I am looking for a minimally spec'd Z-Packs Zero.. a stripped down version. Hoping to find one that is in 0.51 cuben.. with or without pockets or hip belt. I had a chance at one a few months back, and regret not buying it.

If you have one in your gear closet and aren't using it.. let me know!!
    If you can find a pic of the very first Zero, it was a Cuben stuff sack with some shoulder straps so you could likely make one of those!

Ah, I found a pic...

Zero_original.jpg Zero_original_shoulder_straps.jpg

-

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    I think you'll be quite dissapointed with trying to use a .51dcf pack. Or even a 1.0 pack. Handy Andy made one and it was shredded in like 3 days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMm6d25FUQQ - he shows his cuben pack in this video.

If I was going to use straight DCF on a pack. minimum it would be 1.43 ... but even that isn't gonna last long or remain waterproof at all.

If you take a gentle pass on rock with anything other than hybrid cuben, it simply eats right thru it.
    looking at this, I thought:
    35 liter total

1.7 mtn cloth for front, bottom, side pockets + hip belt pockets

dyneema x shoulder/ hip belt

.51 body + liner sack

.34 back pocket

about 7 oz total including liner bag

material about 100

I am guessing it would average 60 day lifespan

other concept would be a 22 liter total, no hip belt, almost all 1.7 mtn cloth

about 5 oz and 20 in material

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Sorry for not getting your PM yesterday, I assume that's what it was about. I sold mine a month or two ago. Sorry!

For what it's worth, I love the Mountain Laurel Designs pack that I replaced the Zero with. It's the 'Core', as I recall.
    Thanks.. yours was 0.51 wasn’t it?

I had a Zimmerbuilt ZB2 which is real close to the MLD Burn.. sold it. Replaced it with a Nero which I am really happy with. Halved the weight and more capacity. I do really miss those massive side pockets!

Thanks for that. I’m no stranger to DCF.. my others are all 2.92.

I’m looking for the 0.51 or 1.0 for a specific purpose.. no doubt it will warrant care. This is for a fun experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    If you can find a pic of the very first Zero, it was a Cuben stuff sack with some shoulder straps so you could likely make one of those!

Ah, I found a pic...

Zero_original.jpg Zero_original_shoulder_straps.jpg
    Thought about making it.. not something I want to tackle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    looking at this, I thought:
    35 liter total

1.7 mtn cloth for front, bottom, side pockets + hip belt pockets

dyneema x shoulder/ hip belt

.51 body + liner sack

.34 back pocket

about 7 oz total including liner bag

material about 100

I am guessing it would average 60 day lifespan

other concept would be a 22 liter total, no hip belt, almost all 1.7 mtn cloth

about 5 oz and 20 in material
    https://mountainlaureldesigns.com/product/core-28l/

Very durable. Smaller but not ridiculously small.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Mine was the 2.92 ounce cuben hybrid fabric. The Core that I replaced it with is Dyneema XPack because I didn't see any particular benefit to DCF in a simple pack like this. It's a fraction of the price for a couple of ounces (max) weight penalty and the XPack just felt more durable.

Mine was the 2.92 ounce cuben hybrid fabric. The Core that I replaced it with is Dyneema XPack because I didn't see any particular benefit to DCF in a simple pack like this. It's a fraction of the price for a couple of ounces (max) weight penalty and the XPack just felt more durable.
    Dyneema x is pretty durable fabric. Well suited for a pack like the core. I want a pack like the core for hiking one of the caminos. sul kit. I just don't like storing water on my shoulder straps. Especially for a hike like a camino. I love slim packs

What bothers you about having the bottles on shoulder straps? For me, switching to that was love at first hike a few years back.

What bothers you about having the bottles on shoulder straps? For me, switching to that was love at first hike a few years back.
    Wouldn't bother me here in the US on a backcountry trail.

In Europe walking one of the caminos I feel it's out of place and attracts attention cause it it does look a little off. I really like to be low key whilst traveling. So it just doesn't fit my personal agenda. It's one of those goofy ultalight hacks. Kinda the same reason why I wouldn't wear 3" split running shorts on a camino hike.

I'd like to make a ~25L slim replica palante v1 simple pack for one of those hikes. Roughly 10-11 ounces. Hybrid cuben in a solid matte color. I also want to keep my camera in a shoulder strap pocket for security and quick access.

That makes perfect sense. In that environment I'd probably be inclined to set things up similarly. Sounds like you and I are on the same page about trying to keep things simple and avoid drawing attention.

Default ZPacks Zero

I love this as well. Has nothing to do with UL and everything to do with not being able to reach the side pockets.

Last edited by MikekiM; 01-08-2020 at 23:12.

I love this as well. Has nothing to do with UL and everything to do with not being able to track the side pockets.

There is now a commisioning thing over on the reddit myog. There are some people who do fine work. You might be able to get one to make you the pack you're looking for.

There is now a commisioning thing over on the reddit myog. There are some people who do fine work. You might be able to get one to make you the pack you're looking for.

Thanks.. but it's not that important. The Arc Blast and Nero get me through 98% of what I need.

My last post should have said I can't REACH the pockets. My shoulders are destroyed and RoM is limited...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++