I want to go to Baxter around the last week of September, after the summer heat and crowds are gone and before possible trail closures become possible. I have some questions about parking and permits.

1. Do I need a parking permit for short hike like Sandy Stream Pond in evening? If I have a permit for Roaring Brook for the day, can I leave and come back to the same parking spot?

2. Is it possible for a friend to drop me off at the trailhead instead of requiring a permit?

3. I'm from New Hampshire so I can only make reservations 2 weeks before my trip. If I wait until I have parking permits to make hotel reservations, am I going to have problems finding rooms? I'm interested at staying at Big Moose Inn or Cabins. Will it be difficult to get a parking permit for that time of the year only 2 weeks in advance?

4. Is getting in the park for parking around Abol and Round ponds possible? How do they know people who enter don't hike and park at one of the 3 lots needing reservations? If those first come first serve parking lots fill up, where do people park?