WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Smoky Mountain shuttle recommendations

So far I plan to use walk in the woods shuttle for my trip from Fontana to Bear creek. Can anyone recommend other shuttles in the area? Standing bear is not an option as they only shuttle at 8am for Fontana which would add another day to my itinerary that I would rather not do. I am planning on averaging 10-14 miles per day (same amount I did for Hot springs to Erwin), does that sound feasible?

Smokies puts you in a tough spot for shuttle. Walk in the woods is pretty much your best option. Price is on the high but fair side but they are dependable if that makes sense. Inside the park you are really held down mileage wise to the shelter mileages. But Yes 10-14 miles a day is very doable in the smokies on the AT.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

In addition to A Walk In The Woods, I also recommend AAA Hiker Service.
    He tends to be a little cheaper than AWITW, but that's because it's just him and his Subaru compared to AWITW's being a much more formal business.

I hope you are able to shop around and gather some options. Walk in the Woods was very prompt and professional in their reply which I appreciated, but they were literally double what I ended up paying with somebody else. This was for a long shuttle, btw.
    It is what it is.

Images

try Hike Inn..

they are about a mile from the road that the dam is on...

Where is Bear Creek? I can't seem to place it and the name doesn't ring a bell.

If your going from Fontana to Hot Springs (which is a nice hike), then possibly get a ride out of HS down to Fontana. Those would be the two logical start/stop points. Plus the section between Davenport Gap and HS is one of the best parts of NC/TN, made so much better by the fact your no longer in the park.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Where is Bear Creek? I can't seem to place it and the name doesn't ring a bell.

just taking a guess at saying OP meant Standing Bear............in order to do the AT through the Park..

just a guess though...

Images

a very educated guess though as OP replied in a thread that is about 3 years old, about the section of the AT through the Park...

I believe in past years there was a church which provided a free shuttle from Newfound Gap into Gatlinburg that started on April 1st. Does anyone know if that is still an option and if so how to get further information?

Quote Originally Posted by hoozurmama View Post
    I believe in past years there was a church which provided a free shuttle from Newfound Gap into Gatlinburg that started on April 1st. Does anyone know if that is still an option and if so how to get further information?
    Never heard of that. There used to be a shuttle van out of Cherokee to Gatlinburg and back. Price was like $5. But sadly, it no longer runs.

Hitching between New Found gap and Gatlinburg is generally not much of a problem. It's a little easier going from the gap to town since there's a parking lot there and potential marks, err, rides are already stopped.

Getting from one end of the park to the other - Fontana Dam to Davenport Gap - is a lot harder since it's over 100 miles and a round about route. That's why the shuttles are so expensive.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Hitching between New Found gap and Gatlinburg is generally not much of a problem.

easiest hitch in the Park, imo.....

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    ...Getting from one end of the park to the other - Fontana Dam to Davenport Gap - is a lot harder since it's over 100 miles and a round about route. That's why the shuttles are so expensive.
    Based on directions from Google Maps:
    For a shuttle service, round trip from home to pickup to dropoff to home is about 210 miles. An since most of the trip is NOT over divided highways or interstates, the time required is about 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 hours (depending upon exactly where they are located and whether they have to travel thru Gatlinburg).

I just hiked this section a couple weeks ago. Left my truck at Davenport Gap under the Pigeon River Bridge and was shuttled to Stecoah Gap. I used Stripper (class of 2018). Her cell is 317-417-5351. She also texts. She was by far the cheapest! She charges 10 for the pick up and a dollar per mile after. My cost was 100.00. Very interesting lady to speak to with thousands of miles on the AT. Hope this helps.

Cant recommend Lodge of Legends Hostel enough either in Gatlinburg if wanting a break from the trail. First one I have ever stayed at....but couldnt imagine any being better. Matched maybe....but not better.

I second AAA Hiker Service but must disclose that the owner is a friend.

Images

Left my truck at Davenport Gap under the Pigeon River Bridge and was shuttled to Stecoah Gap.

just a heads up----parking at the bridge and at davenport gap proper------that's a high area of car break ins and what not...

much safer to park at rangers station....

Quote Originally Posted by beefsmack View Post
    I just hiked this section a couple weeks ago. Left my truck at Davenport Gap under the Pigeon River Bridge and was shuttled to Stecoah Gap. I used Stripper (class of 2018). Her cell is 317-417-5351. She also texts. She was by far the cheapest! She charges 10 for the pick up and a dollar per mile after. My cost was 100.00. Very interesting lady to speak to with thousands of miles on the AT. Hope this helps.

Cant recommend Lodge of Legends Hostel enough either in Gatlinburg if wanting a break from the trail. First one I have ever stayed at....but couldnt imagine any being better. Matched maybe....but not better.
    The cheapest stripper , yeah I'd go with that!

The cheapest stripper, yeah I'd go with that. Lol suggested by beefsmack...

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Given that the operator has to drive a total of 200 miles round trip, $100 (for a single lone hiker) sounds like a price almost too good to be true. After all, the driver is only getting 50¢ per mile.
    Here's a few numbers to compare that too:
    The current IRS Mileage rate is about 58¢ per mile
    An analysis done by AAA estimates the average Sedan costs about 61¢ per mile (user that drives 15,000 miles per year)
    An analysis done by MyMoneyDesign (in 2015) estimated a cost of about 26¢ per mile (for one of its employees driving 30,000+ miles per year)

Even with the smallest of those estimates, this woman is netting at best $50 per ride for a trip that takes about 5 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Even with the smallest of those estimates, this woman is netting at best $50 per ride for a trip that takes about 5 hours.
    Trail Magic?

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    just a heads up----parking at the bridge and at davenport gap proper------that's a high area of car break ins and what not...

much safer to park at rangers station....
    Thank you for the tip. Bullet dodged.

Yeah, I was surprised by the low cost as well. I threw in a little extra and hopefully others do as well. Shes a little bit older and this is not her primary source of income. I suspect, given her history on the trail, this helps continue a sense of connectivity to the hiking community more than anything.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++