WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    4 miles a day sounds wonderful---it's what I do on my backpacking trips unless I get a wild hair and punch out a 12 mile day.

A 6 week backpacking trip also sounds wonderful---42 days of righteous outdoor time and bag nights.

Any place you decide to go is a-okay unless you're constricted by fees and permits and onerous regulations thereby crimping your 42 day trip, i.e. the Smokies.

Thru careful study and experience I have found a normal backpacker can carry 30 days worth of food without resupply---but a 42 day food load would be a real challenge. But at 4 miles per day nearly anyone could carry 30 days worth of food and stay out with no interruptions. Sounds fantastic.

I could draw you up a 42 day trip route on backpacking trails in Georgia/TN/NC and list campsites around 4+ miles apart---while using all 400+ miles of trails in this 3 state area---like starting on the BMT in Georgia and entering Cohutta wilderness and pulling all of its many trails and then go up into Big Frog wilderness in TN and do loops etc etc. And then head north on the BMT and enter the Bald River/Upper Bald River wilderness for many more loops---before climbing up to Whiggs Meadow and doing all the loop trails in Citico Creek/Slickrock/Joyce Kilmer wilderness---and ending your trip on the AT in Walker Gap above Fontana.

It would be a "trip of a lifetime"; a real Expedition trip.
    Tipi I'm not normal lol. I can't carry that much weight lol. I appreciate the offer though.

I've decided I will be on the AT. I am working with another WB hiker and we are planning to hike together for 2 weeks. After that I'm still not sure....

Quote Originally Posted by gracebowen View Post
    Tipi I'm not normal lol. I can't carry that much weight lol. I appreciate the offer though.

I've decided I will be on the AT. I am working with another WB hiker and we are planning to hike together for 2 weeks. After that I'm still not sure....
    I don't know about that, I think you might be a bit more normal than tipi. Tipi is definitely not normal, and I mean that in the most complementary way.

This trip will be epic Grace, even in our "low and slow" approach.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    This trip will be epic Grace, even in our "low and slow" approach.
    I am really looking forward to it.
    Since I have limited time and can't hike everything I want to I'm wanting to visit GSMNP and Shenandoah while I'm sorta in the area.

I am really looking forward to it.
    Since I have limited time and can't hike everything I want to I'm wanting to visit GSMNP and Shenandoah while I'm sorta in the area.
    SNP is on my way home LOL....if I can finagle a 3rd week maybe I can join you for some of it. Unfortunately you have to stick to the shelters there, so day hikes are probably what you'll need.

YOUR MAILBOX IS FULL...I SENT A PM
    Last edited by Teacher & Snacktime; 01-14-2020 at 14:18.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

What made you change your mind on thru hiking?

Quote Originally Posted by bjd002 View Post
    What made you change your mind on thru hiking?
    My financial situation has changed and I simply can't afford a thru hike for the forseeable future. Not giving up just postponing.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    SNP is on my way home LOL....if I can finagle a 3rd week maybe I can join you for some of it. Unfortunately you have to stick to the shelters there, so day hikes are probably what you'll need.

YOUR MAILBOX IS FULL...I SENT A PM
    Maybe. I meant driving thru it though. A day hike would be nice. I cleaned my messages.
    I also sent you my email address.

I can manage a section hike this year. I can do at least a month maybe 2. I'd like to do Clingmans dome and hike where the ponys are. The zoo, and Mountain crossings. (Could skip) I'd also like to hike the Smoky mountains.

I also thought I could maybe hike somewhere else.

I'm kinda scared that if I don't hike now I may never get to so still strongly leaning towards the AT.
    Presidential Range.
    White Mountains.

Looking for itenerary suggestions. I can maybe take a car.
    how about the sheltowee trace trail?

Maybe. I meant driving thru it though. A day hike would be nice. I cleaned my messages.
    I also sent you my email address.
    Even better...I'll leave you to that then

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++