WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Here's a page I found when I was looking into body fat. I was interested in how much more weight I would need to lose to get a six pack, never having had one that I remember. (Usually how it goes anyway.) I can see ribs and maybe a beer but definitely no six pack abs. The linked site is commercial in nature but the pics and table are I think accurate. So I personally would need to lose about 8 pounds to get that six pack at BMI 20.2. Not unhealthy 9-10% body fat damn I would feel awful skinny because I weighed that in high school plus I would look like I was in HS with my pants hanging down. A lot of that feeling is a mental thing driven by the upward march of the average American weight. Most six foot guys I meet, most everyone is 200+ lbs. I have one brother my height the others taller, all my nephews are taller, all my male 1st cousins are 6' and maybe 1 or too shorter than me but all over 200.

As far as LD hikers, especially thrus, a BMI of 20 might not provide enough padding when they are not getting enough calories. Also, there is no gender difference in the BMI ranges. Women need a higher base body fat "essential fat". I wonder if that is why the normal BMI range is somewhat wide IMHO. Anyway, as far as the OP and a 20 BMI, while on the lighter side that would keep the weight off the knee and maybe he would like six pack abs if not already present as he does strength training which keeps him current as a firefighter.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Hey Bigben, Have you explored your options concerning the TKR product? You stated the orthopedic medical device manufacturer would not warranty their device for firefighters. I am a member of Local 124, with 19 years of service. I have several academy classmates and a couple crew mates that have ortho joint replacements, double hip, knees, shoulders. All of them, still on the job, working in busy houses, humping hose and throwing ladders with no issues. These guys are 15 to 25 year veteran FF's sporting hardware from Biomet-Zimmer, DePuy, Medtronic and Paragon.....all manufactured in Warsaw, IN. The only stipulation for returning to duty was to complete the department work performance eval. after recovering from the surgery and rehab. I am curious if your ortho doc has explored any devices from these manufacturers? Does L48 or city admin have any reservations about FF's having ortho replacements? This thread has piqued my curiosity to say the least.
    Termite fart so much they are responsible for 3% of global methane emissions.

Huh. I will have to research that. I actually asked my knee doctor and he confirmed TKR would mean I'm done firefighting. Your post has me thinking, maybe the prosthetic HE uses does, but not all??? We have a guy who needed a hip and got a "partial hip/resurfacing" because total hip replacement would mean he's done, for the same reasons. I had rotator cuff surgery; 4 months later I was good as new, but i dont think that involved many "new parts."

We have to pass a physical assessment post op too, but we got extensive paperwork that your MD AND the depts MD both have to sign off on.

Regardless, I think prolonging the inevitable is still best course. But this give me HOPE! Thx for the reply!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++