WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Any 2020 FKT attempts scheduled?!

just looking at the time and it’s been a minute since the FKT has been taken down
    Anyone know of contenders for this year?

I think Kristian Morgan from Great Britain put something on his facebook page about a second supported attempt this year. He's the only one I know of though

Thanks Upstate! That’s what I was lookin for. I do love the PCT as well, but nothing beats the AT in my book

Everyone's looking at the current AT record(s) and deciding they would rather tackle some of the lesser known FKTs instead, and for good reason. I think those two stand for a good while longer.

Ounces are the little-death

They are REALLY strong.

In running, FKTs are getting a lot more traction and people are making trips for smaller ones.
    A former top runner (sound familiar?) is going for the PCT this year.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottS View Post
    They are REALLY strong.

In running, FKTs are getting a lot more traction and people are making trips for smaller ones.
    A former top runner (sound familiar?) is going for the PCT this year.
    Who is it? I hadn't heard that bit of news.

My vertical challenge for 50 days is...large. ��. This is 489,000+ Ft of gain or the equivalent of going up and down over 19,000 ft a day...for 50 days straight! The fun will start in June. I’ll be posting a Live link to my GPS tracker prior to my start. Team Possible will be taking over my IG and trying to keep everyone posted on our progress as we go after the Pacific Crest Trail Fastest Known Time for a supported effort and the World Record for the entire 2650 miles. Although I am supported, I will be carrying 100% of my own equipment on the trail and plan on an unpaced effort. Team Possible will be providing water, supplies and medical support as well as just generally being awesome. Supporting this is a logistical trick and not easy. But I have great faith in my crew @_cougar_bait and Lense. This kind of mileage unassisted on this trail for this duration might be unattainable but together, anything is Possible.
    Stoked for this adventure to begin!
    This is from her facebook page. it's supported.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Tomorrow I’m gonna see if I can get the FKT down the slopes. My son is a fierce contender but I still think I can beat him.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

I own the FKT on consuming a Green & Black's 85% Cacao chocolate bar

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

-

jester is attempting to beat his own "width" of the triple crown record

There’s a gal named Liz Anjos from Portland Oregon who’s going to make an attempt in July. Warren Doyle is running support for her. She attended his Appalachian trail institute I think maybe last fall. She’s a good marathoner and has been reconning with Warren the past few months. she is overall pretty inexperienced on the Appalachian Trail but it will be fun to see how she does. I think her website is going to be MercuryonTheAT.com But it’s not up yet. she is a classically trained pianist and her husband is a successful musician named RAC who’s won a Grammy and has millions of Spotify followers. Pretty cool.

Brew- did you see the latest on this one?!

Quote Originally Posted by brew View Post
    There’s a gal named Liz Anjos from Portland Oregon who’s going to make an attempt in July. Warren Doyle is running support for her. She attended his Appalachian trail institute I think maybe last fall. She’s a good marathoner and has been reconning with Warren the past few months. she is overall pretty inexperienced on the Appalachian Trail but it will be fun to see how she does. I think her website is going to be MercuryonTheAT.com But it’s not up yet. she is a classically trained pianist and her husband is a successful musician named RAC who’s won a Grammy and has millions of Spotify followers. Pretty cool.

As of last night she was at Keys Gap, 1020 miles, moving about 1.5 days behind Jen's pace. Fast start but slowed by shin splints.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    As of last night she was at Keys Gap, 1020 miles, moving about 1.5 days behind Jen's pace. Fast start but slowed by shin splints.
    yeah, she's given up the attempt at a FKT and just hoping for an under 50 day thru.
    After that huge first day, this was not unexpected.

Images

After that huge first day, this was not unexpected.

yeah......

and then add in getting "lost" on the Smoky's section......

Ounces are the little-death

She did WAY better than I expected. I don't know if that first day is even to blame. Efforts like this, even expertly paced, break the body down. And since she was so (relatively) inexperienced it was pretty high odds she wouldn't make it.
    She did great and I'm glad she's continuing.

Hope we're allowed to talk about thruhikers on white blaze!

How about a ‘Stuck In Time FKT’ - as in trying to beat a record from the 70s that’s now a good 20 days from Stringbean’s mark for a self-supported AT thru? From what I can gather, it looks like Owen Branley set the first legitimate mark in 1970 at 73 days. Since I was born in 1970, and since I’m too slow to ever owned a realFKT, I thought why not go after this record? I never could hv imagined just how 70’s like my hike wd be. Just finished day 21 at Wapiti Shelter, average 29.45 MPD. Trail is almost empty, almost 0 trail magic, and every night in my tent. I’ve had more rain already than I had on entire previous thru in 2016 (91 days). I am feeling confident however and will push to match Warren Doyle’s time as well - his overall at 66 days 8h, or his MPD pace mark would be nice as well. I’m not quite sure of exact mileage for these 70’s hikes, but I estimate 2,060. Anyone have a more precise length of trail?

Quote Originally Posted by ScottS View Post
    She did WAY better than I expected. I don't know if that first day is even to blame. Efforts like this, even expertly paced, break the body down. And since she was so (relatively) inexperienced it was pretty high odds she wouldn't make it.
    She did great and I'm glad she's continuing.

Hope we're allowed to talk about thruhikers on white blaze!
    Thread was closed, I recommend you don't continue with the topic.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Just a reminder regarding these FKTs and the AT. Currently NY, NJ, and CT have mandatory quarantines for travelers coming from multiple states. VA is on that list. It's a 14 day window (been in VA in the last 14 days.) Keys Gap, VA is 276 miles from the Delaware Water Gap. That's 7 days at 40 miles per day. Any northbound FKT on the AT would violate quarantine by continuing. Any thruhiker averaging >20 miles/day would also have the same problem. Threads or posts that indicate the hiker plans on ignoring quarantine rules will be closed or deleted per the user agreement.
    4. Discussions involving how to commit illegal acts, or involving the use, production and/or distribution of illegal drugs are forbidden.
    This rule is enforced pretty rigorously actually in general. If you can follow the local rules for the places you wish to hike GREAT, hit the trails and post away! It's entirely possible. Otherwise I have no problem whatsoever enforcing #4 being that we are in a PANDEMIC where 150,000 people have already died in the US. There's also been a surge in positive cases, more than double in the last 6 weeks, a good portion of that related to vacation travel. Contact tracing has indicated three people just died in my county due to vacation travel by others to a hotspot out of state location. If it's questionable the hiker will respect the quarantine, clarification will be needed, otherwise it will be closed.
    Probably best to mention the following for the folks who can't let things go
    3. Topics that have been closed, deleted, or moved by an Administrator or Moderator have been done for a reason. Users will not open new threads on the same subject or continue to make posts about subjects that have had these actions taken. Failing to comply with this policy can result in being placed into moderated status.
    The rest of the user agreement can be found through the link in my signature or directly at https://whiteblaze.net/forum/agreement.php.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

++ New Posts ++