WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Just killing time...

Just sitting around waiting for it to snow.

After several false starts, winter has finally arrived in the Whites with some snow and sub zero temps. Tonight's storm will hopefully bring a good dumping, but will be followed by another artic blast. Yep, guess it's winter now.

So, just sitting around wondering where to go hiking come end of April this year?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Yep, me too but for us here in the Harper's ferry area just getting cold rain, really sucks! Just a couple degrees colder and we would be getting snow and I would be out hiking and camping somewhere close like up to ravens rock on the AT. could have been a 3 day 2 nighter as I have off Monday. But instead I'm typing on WB.

For me I'm thinking about getting on the AT where I stopped last year , at Erwin tn . Thinking the end of may and using boots off hostel as a place to park and hiking to Hampton and shuttle with boots off . What's your thoughts on my plan? Thru hikers should be well past there by then? Good spring time weather and spring flowers? If you had this trip coming up next is this about the time you'd do it? As I do failure your opinion. Last year I was supposed to go further than Erwin but got off trail due to a recluse spider bite, rather painful and nasty. And what are you thinking as your hiking options?
    Last edited by JNI64; 01-18-2020 at 17:11.

Erwin to Hamption is a great section with a bunch of highlights. The last rugged part of NC/TN and the highest shelter on the AT. Late May would give you abundant wild flowers and most of the thru hikers will be at Trail Days and points north.

The most expedient thing for me is to start a hike at Harpers Ferry. Which is what I think I'll do yet again. SOBO, since I did NOBO last year and with the bridge out and everything... Anyway, I like NoVa. The Devils Backbone brewery adds to the appeal of this section. I might actually carry a clicker to count how many NOBOs I pass this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Erwin to Hamption is a great section with a bunch of highlights. The last rugged part of NC/TN and the highest shelter on the AT. Late May would give you abundant wild flowers and most of the thru hikers will be at Trail Days and points north.

The most expedient thing for me is to start a hike at Harpers Ferry. Which is what I think I'll do yet again. SOBO, since I did NOBO last year and with the bridge out and everything... Anyway, I like NoVa. The Devils Backbone brewery adds to the appeal of this section. I might actually carry a clicker to count how many NOBOs I pass this time.
    Sounds awesome can't wait thanks. Clicker lol, cause to many to count . Hey hit me up when the time comes (pm) if you want, I might be able to shuttle you back to Hf. Free of charge just wanna hear some good stories.

Images

Howdy Slo... Doing the same over in Maine about 50 Crow - flight miles due east of you. Last year at this time I had four feet of snow in the yard, this year a foot. Need snow. My Maples have run sap three time this winter already.
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

Is there any snow accumulation anywhere south of New England?

Here in SW Connecticut, near the NY border, we got maybe 4 inches of heavy, wet snow. Temps are in the low 30s now, with sunny weather expected. I'll be headed out with my trusty shovel soon.

Snowshoeing in southern New England has become pretty rare over the past few years given climatic changes. <sigh>. I was hoping November weather was an indication we would have what I would call a "normal" winter with a few stretches of below zero weather and 60 or so inches of snow through the season. February may be the charm.....

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Snowshoeing in southern New England has become pretty rare over the past few years given climatic changes. <sigh>. I was hoping November weather was an indication we would have what I would call a "normal" winter with a few stretches of below zero weather and 60 or so inches of snow through the season. February may be the charm.....
    Yeah that makes 2 of us! I bought a pair of msr snowshoes with the extensions last year for a Vermont trip. I was hoping to utilize them this year in my area sometime this winter. And not have to travel several hundred miles to do so. Big <sigh> as well. Here's hoping to some extreme cold and snow for February!

Here I use my snowshoes about once or twice a season to make dog-walking paths around the property, with little turn-outs so the dog, female, can pee. It's a lot less tiring than slogging through knee-deep snow.

Images

The phrase, "Just killing time", always make me think of the Thoreau quote, "As if you could kill time without injuring eternity." Hmmm, what am I doing here today?

Yeah,sigh; I live in Miami and haven’t seen snow or even cold temps in a few years and miss it.
    I was hoping to spend maybe a week somewhere in nc or tn area. Maybe Feb will bring a change
    "Sea Eagle"

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    Yep, me too but for us here in the Harper's ferry area just getting cold rain, really sucks! Just a couple degrees colder and we would be getting snow and I would be out hiking and camping somewhere close like up to ravens rock on the AT. could have been a 3 day 2 nighter as I have off Monday. But instead I'm typing on WB.
    This " killing time, is killing me. Isn't this a country song somewhere?

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

At my house outside Montpelier, VT, about 8" of dense (not wet, but heavy) snow on Thursday, another 6" or so on Friday night into Saturday, another 6" last night, fluffy & light. Got a winter wonderland in central Vermont.

Just back from a short walk in the backyard - a good 18-24" of powder. Was nearly bare ground Monday. Still lightly coming down, the approching cold front is ringing out the last of the mosture as it hits the mountains.

Journal Entries

We had flurries this morning! After several days of 50s and 60s (with rain) our high today is only 34. And we're dipping into the teens tomorrow night.

If all the rain of the past week or so was snow, we'd be buried under five feet of the stuff. Instead we just have mud, mud, mud.

It was chilly this morning - about 8F at Crawford Notch, but blue sky and bright sun. Climbed to the ledges on Mt Willard, along with a lot of others - holiday weekend for some duh! - Lets see if I can post a picture..
    SAM_5068.JPG

Going up Friday! Glad to see winter if finally up there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sethd513 View Post
    Going up Friday! Glad to see winter if finally up there.
    That's for sure. Been a bit nippy the last few days. Maybe more snow Sat/Sun and it will be much milder. A lot of traffic this weekend, so many trails are tracked out and pounded down. The trail up Willard was so packed down most of the hikers were using microspikes or bare boots and getting away with it. Even so, I think it was easier with my short snowshoes. The snow pack is still thin down low, but gets better with elevation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++