Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
Sometimes I "hike unprepared." I know you're supposed to carry everything you need to survive for all of the just-in-case worries. But if it's "just" a dayhike, I might be carrying my phone and car key - that's all. If I got injured or lost, I'd be in trouble. Why am I willing to take that risk?

@isabellee

I guess it boils down to dumb thinking. Until something bad happens, I don't feel like I'm at risk. I don't worry about the what-ifs. I don't "prepare" to hike down to the mailbox (8-10 minute round trip), so why would I prepare to hike a short familiar trail? Or maybe an unfamiliar trail? Or a longer trail? Like I said, dumb thinking. Without going overboard and preparing for every woodland paranoia, I should develop some better habits of thinking and doing.

Would be interested to hear others' criteria for when to "prepare" and when not, and maybe some cautionary tales of bad things that have happened on the way to the mailbox...

I can't answer the last question I don't know all things, no one does. That's such a powerful belief or perspective to have particularly perhaps these days with the info overload adn ecessive pride ehibted two things few will hoenstly intrispectively personally examine, as I may be,... It can keep ego in check, increase patience, understanding, awareness, love, peace, joy happiness. I personally find it helps all including ego generated atrributes anger, faer, hate excessive pride, anger, being annoyed irritated,... It keeps from having such harsh judgments sometimes rampant here so I'm not the only on this,...Could that possibly also work for others I don't know but strongly suspect it can. I dont know,... See I'm cooperating by cutting down the long windedness here.
I can say Isabelle after already having said much don't be so hard on yourself. You're not dumber or generally necessarily smarter than others only on a individual basis. It's more perhaps a matter of degree.

@Jn?? ya see-ing. you're on way the door has ben cracked from my perspective. You said you perhaps did have some of these attributes like being part chihua and bit bull. Interesting? I may not be the only one that can talk in circles. LOL relax chill as was said to me

Too serious? It may have been considering all my posts so I can start a new thread in a different forum if that would be more appropriate. Or, a Mod like Gator can do i. Feel free or ask plainly. TU Mahalo.