WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Sometimes I "hike unprepared." I know you're supposed to carry everything you need to survive for all of the just-in-case worries. But if it's "just" a dayhike, I might be carrying my phone and car key - that's all. If I got injured or lost, I'd be in trouble. Why am I willing to take that risk?

@isabellee

I guess it boils down to dumb thinking. Until something bad happens, I don't feel like I'm at risk. I don't worry about the what-ifs. I don't "prepare" to hike down to the mailbox (8-10 minute round trip), so why would I prepare to hike a short familiar trail? Or maybe an unfamiliar trail? Or a longer trail? Like I said, dumb thinking. Without going overboard and preparing for every woodland paranoia, I should develop some better habits of thinking and doing.

Would be interested to hear others' criteria for when to "prepare" and when not, and maybe some cautionary tales of bad things that have happened on the way to the mailbox...

I can't answer the last question I don't know all things, no one does. That's such a powerful belief or perspective to have particularly perhaps these days with the info overload adn ecessive pride ehibted two things few will hoenstly intrispectively personally examine, as I may be,... It can keep ego in check, increase patience, understanding, awareness, love, peace, joy happiness. I personally find it helps all including ego generated atrributes anger, faer, hate excessive pride, anger, being annoyed irritated,... It keeps from having such harsh judgments sometimes rampant here so I'm not the only on this,...Could that possibly also work for others I don't know but strongly suspect it can. I dont know,... See I'm cooperating by cutting down the long windedness here.
    I can say Isabelle after already having said much don't be so hard on yourself. You're not dumber or generally necessarily smarter than others only on a individual basis. It's more perhaps a matter of degree.

@Jn?? ya see-ing. you're on way the door has ben cracked from my perspective. You said you perhaps did have some of these attributes like being part chihua and bit bull. Interesting? I may not be the only one that can talk in circles. LOL relax chill as was said to me

Too serious? It may have been considering all my posts so I can start a new thread in a different forum if that would be more appropriate. Or, a Mod like Gator can do i. Feel free or ask plainly. TU Mahalo.

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    Should be "AN" ignorant notion. Not "A" ignorant notion. ?
    Appreciate the correction. TU Mahalo Jefals. mental note that does not entail a perfection though but an acknowledgment. Not hard to make the change though. let's sse what happen. catch it for me if I do it if you want. I'm teachable hopefully that makes aware I'm not intending hubris.

-

Quote Originally Posted by atraildreamer View Post
    So, Dogwood...take some time and tell us how you really feel about the subject...
    something doctoral dissertation length hopefully.........

The cartoon depicts some Mt Washington hikers. It's amazing more people don't die up there. Lack of proper clothing is probably high on the list of things which get people in trouble. That and GPS which doesn't know which roads are closed in winter.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    Should be "AN" ignorant notion. Not "A" ignorant notion. ?
    Appreciate the correction. TU Mahalo Jefals. mental note that does not entail a perfection though but an acknowledgment. Not hard to make the change though. let's sse what happen. catch it for me if I do it if you want. I'm teachable hopefully that makes aware I'm not intending hubris.
    Sorry, DW. Jus feelin a little frisky this mornin!

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Yeah, you're right. TU for the chill vibe. I need it. I'm so overstimulated frisky felling myself from fluctuating sleep, quitting caffeine again, and a recent Holiday illness where the M.D.s sent me home with a bottle of 12 mild pain pills that did assist with the level 9 pain experienced, wks ago having finished them taking only according to directions at far below max daily instructions after having no definitive reason for the pain...a 10K emergency room 3 hr visit. Self diagnosis and therapy assisted more. Cost me nothing but computer research time and a $20 bottle of two supplements. Oouch since I'm basically self employed PT having to absorb the entirety of the cost. TU for the exhortation. Mahalo.

Images

Yeah, you're right. TU for the chill vibe. I need it. I'm so overstimulated frisky felling myself from fluctuating sleep, quitting caffeine again, and a recent Holiday illness where the M.D.s sent me home with a bottle of 12 mild pain pills that did assist with the level 9 pain experienced, wks ago having finished them taking only according to directions at far below max daily instructions after having no definitive reason for the pain...a 10K emergency room 3 hr visit. Self diagnosis and therapy assisted more. Cost me nothing but computer research time and a $20 bottle of two supplements. Oouch since I'm basically self employed PT having to absorb the entirety of the cost. TU for the exhortation. Mahalo.
    Dogwood, step back away from the keyboard. You are using up all of the digital characters.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Hiking unprepared? Ha ha, I do it all the time. No checking off the gear list for me...I go by memory and always forget something important, but no mater.

I enjoyed the time I forgot my headlamp. It made me realize that light isn’t that important. Ya just go to bed when it gets dark. Haven’t forgotten my food yet, but it’s only a matter of time.

For me, unpreparedness is liberation.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Dogwood, step back away from the keyboard. You are using up all of the digital characters.
    I wish I had enough patience and attention to read what he wrote but I lack in both. Can someone summarize?

Quote Originally Posted by ldsailor View Post
    No comment.

Attachment 46064
    I went up to Angel's Landing in Zion NP during early spring a couple of times, the second in 2011. In spite of an early start and low temps, snow up high, and ice covering "Walter's Wiggles"(switchbacks), there were still lots of people on the trail.
    I had Angel's Landing to myself both times.

Most of the people were dressed casually, some just holding a water bottle in one hand. The one who sticks out in my memory was a woman wearing flipflops. The only thing she was carrying was a baby.

imgp1940g.jpg

Default Hiking Unprepared

first time backpacking, I hiked 7 miles out in the Sierras in August. pitched the tent, spent the night, hiked out the next day.
    Getting late in the year, and not wanting to deal with snow, I decide to now look for somewhere south...Decided I was ready for the 1st section of the PCT.
    Studied the logistical options, and decided to leave the car at the ending point (Warner Springs) and take a bus to the starting point (Campo). 109 miles from the car.
    Bus let's me out in an open field.
    I got a 60 pound pack that includes 8 liters of water because I know I may have to go 20 miles before I get to more water, and I'm not sure how much I'm gonna need, but I want to be damn sure I have enough.
    Wrestling with that pack, out in that open field, all alone, 109 miles from my car - reality started sinking in. I realized I was nowhere near ready for this!

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    I wish I had enough patience and attention to read what he wrote but I lack in both. Can someone summarize?
    I can do it tersely, very much so. I read it but did not just read it; we can mediate deeply on it. The same mythical source full of contradictions anti intelligent supposedly that also never advises nowhere to simply read it but meditate upon it like the cow chews the cud. Like to ponder the answer?

"Above all else seek wisdom." Be a wisdom seeker. Drink deeply widely from a deep well of knowledge and wisdom. That same source also advises "seek a wide source of counselors" - Knowledge and wisdom expansion.

It's not only evident, important above all else in the Christian Bible the exhortation is practiced among history's most noted. How long a list from different religions, disciplines, 'terrah- rists', colors, creeds socio economic statuses, nations, do you wish me to list? From Ancient Egyptians, DaVinci, Einstein, to Moslems, Jews, Atheists, scientists, doctors, artists, Nurses, poor fisherman who also later influenced the world to indigent shepherd boys,.....to mere UL LD hikers and "gardeners pondering, meditating, contemplating deeply.

I've noted you practicing wisdom TJ not merely having knowledge of things in your head. You also practice applying that knowledge. Expand on that. That's what a wisdom seeker does. These can be found anywhere in anyone.

TIPS: ~Chunk it down. Indeed not everyone has equal attention spans. Here ya all. This is long and deep. I can be um complicated to read maybe much more so to apply all this stuff.

~Come back to reading and pondering it, if it's your desire, in smaller easier to digest increments. It has been used to develop language fluency, eat more healthy - spacing smaller portions out more frequently spacing apart - the 'grazing" food intake approach, level blood sugar, reduce energy bonking, reduce food wt hauled, learn advanced Quantum Mechanics, and complete long distance and/or long duration hikes too.

~Instead of bashing modern tech - bob and weave - use it to your advantage to learn or educate - support goals. That's what Tipi Walter does whether he knows it or not. ***I've started using voice recognition and the hand written and typed word recognition that translates to audio. And audio to typed or cursive writing. Modern tech advances that translate the written word while allowing for grammar inaccuracies that can be scanned over the hand written and typed word have dramatically improved recently. Some folks better assimilate and learn by/through different senses/sensory inputs preferring psychologically one sense or combination of them over others. Yeah, I get sleepy too reading yet may have a much long attention span watching TV or a computer vid.

Solution minded rather than complaint and fault finding minded.

Ouila- Attention spans increased, verbosity solution-ing, info overload solution-ing, info and education assimilated. FWIW, these tech devices and chunk it down approaches are used by those pursing intensive knowledge wher it ahs to be quickly assimilated - like, engineers, those seeking law degrees, M.D. seekers with info overload, LEO's that not only read but use audio, scientists with advanced degrees, the military, gov't(info overloaded), Intelligence Gathering Operatives, etc, even lowly UL LD hikers and Landscape Designers and data crunching Statistic Mathematicians, Data Miners, those with hard to read grammatical abilities/lack of them, etc

Why do you suppose WB website designers wrote Post Quick Reply on the tab? I can do this with many shorter posts too. But, who wants to read post after post after post of mainly my thread hogging. We all have something valuable to contribute.
    Last edited by Dogwood; 01-21-2020 at 17:22.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Masters dissertations can be up to maybe more than 20 small font typed legal or usually letter size pages. I did two like that with two Masters and one undergrad degree, of about 16 pages and one just under 20 pages maybe 18 pages if I recall. One dissertation I still have and still go back to every few yrs and relearn or refresh something I may have forgotten. This is a technique to cement knowledge and wisdom and the written and spoken word after intensive long up to 4 hr once per wk engineering classes, physics, calc, differential equations, advanced Hort Science, Statistics, etc classes. Right after class I would scan over the session instead of quickly leaving the lessons offered behind. I found when I did that as compared to quickly running away after class comprehension increased. I grasped more of the lesson. In these classes info and degrees test taking is highly competitive. It's not just knowing stuff but how quickly it can be assimilated and applied. Same with those seeking to be M.D's, Law Degrees, some IT degrees, Wall St Traders, CEO's, etc - Info overload. What further increased comprehension and "greasy fast lightning sped" are test taking classes as SAT testing classes have been shown to increase test scores. Same with studying and applying speed reading study oriented to technical texts and degrees. What Bill Gates did when at the helm of Microsoft he scheduled appts concerning even highly tech matters of importance every 6 that's SIX mins. If you had something to say to Bill Gates at that time 6 mins or less although on occasion he may have allowed more time. That's time management! That's what these folks seeking such careers have to do! That's what house wives have to do! That's what it takes to do a FKT or speedy hike

What's that an example of? ---- being exposed to greater knowledge and wisdom AND comprehension - how to apply rather than more simply just being exposed to knowledge ---W_SD_M seeking. Solution mindedness rather than a fault finding complaining resource wasting time waste FULL mindset. C'mon Wheel of Fortune geeks.

None of that is to puff out my chest in pride. It's to detail some techniques others use to quicken the rate of comprehension as I and others say they are having through personal like accounts. I share(d) you're pain.

I heard Shwarzenegger speak several times saying "sleep faster." "*** Arnie?", I said to myself. I NEED 8-9 hrs of sleep. I've recently learned how to sleep more restfully in shorter amt of time. What is that an example and admittance of? Going from a complaining mindset to a more solution finding one.

Can you imagine the time savings?

Default Hiking Unprepared

Wait -- you got physics? Alright! explain the twins paradox to me like I'm a 6 year old, ok?

Masters dissertations can be up to maybe more than 20 small font typed legal or usually letter size pages. I did two like that with two Masters and one undergrad degree, of about 16 pages and one just under 20 pages maybe 18 pages if I recall. One dissertation I still have and still go back to every few yrs and relearn or refresh something I may have forgotten. This is a technique to cement knowledge and wisdom and the written and spoken word after intensive long up to 4 hr once per wk engineering classes, physics, calc, differential equations, advanced Hort Science, Statistics, etc classes. Right after class I would scan over the session instead of quickly leaving the lessons offered behind. I found when I did that as compared to quickly running away after class comprehension increased. I grasped more of the lesson. In these classes info and degrees test taking is highly competitive. It's not just knowing stuff but how quickly it can be assimilated and applied. Same with those seeking to be M.D's, Law Degrees, some IT degrees, Wall St Traders, CEO's, etc - Info overload. What further increased comprehension and "greasy fast lightning sped" are test taking classes as SAT testing classes have been shown to increase test scores. Same with studying and applying speed reading study oriented to technical texts and degrees. What Bill Gates did when at the helm of Microsoft he scheduled appts concerning even highly tech matters of importance every 6 that's SIX mins. If you had something to say to Bill Gates at that time 6 mins or less although on occasion he may have allowed more time. That's time management! That's what these folks seeking such careers have to do! That's what house wives have to do! That's what it takes to do a FKT or speedy hike

What's that an example of? ---- being exposed to greater knowledge and wisdom AND comprehension - how to apply rather than more simply just being exposed to knowledge ---W_SD_M seeking. Solution mindedness rather than a fault finding complaining resource wasting time waste FULL mindset. C'mon Wheel of Fortune geeks.

None of that is to puff out my chest in pride. It's to detail some techniques others use to quicken the rate of comprehension as I and others say they are having through personal like accounts. I share(d) you're pain.

I heard Shwarzenegger speak several times saying "sleep faster." "*** Arnie?", I said to myself. I NEED 8-9 hrs of sleep. I've recently learned how to sleep more restfully in shorter amt of time. What is that an example and admittance of? Going from a complaining mindset to a more solution finding one.

Can you imagine the time savings?
    I read a few of these ^ sentences and it reminds me of following a recipe. I’m trying to perfect sourdough bread baking and there’s no way one can make good sourdough without knowing the chemistry and baking principles.

However, most of the things that I “know” are based on experiences. I’m not good with reading a lot of technical stuff then applying the knowledge, especially when it comes to hiking gear. Which shirt is technically more wind resistant, breathable, non breathable, sweat wicking, warm, lightweight and why? I don’t know, I only know what keeps me comfortable.

Seeking knowledge...my life is enriched by all my “hobbies” and the time and learning that I devote to them. Last night when walking with a friend, she said, “What’s your deal? You do things everyday that people put on their bucket list and never get to in their lifetime.” (Which of course digressed to, aren’t you afraid to hike alone). That made me sad. I can’t imagine living any other way.

TIPS: ~Chunk it down. Indeed not everyone has equal attention spans. Here ya all. This is long and deep. I can be um complicated to read maybe much more so to apply all this stuff.

~Come back to reading and pondering it, if it's your desire, in smaller easier to digest increments. It has been used to develop language fluency, eat more healthy - spacing smaller portions out more frequently spacing apart - the 'grazing" food intake approach, level blood sugar, reduce energy bonking, reduce food wt hauled, learn advanced Quantum Mechanics, and complete long distance and/or long duration hikes too.

~Instead of bashing modern tech - bob and weave - use it to your advantage to learn or educate - support goals. That's what Tipi Walter does whether he knows it or not. ***I've started using voice recognition and the hand written and typed word recognition that translates to audio. And audio to typed or cursive writing. Modern tech advances that translate the written word while allowing for grammar inaccuracies that can be scanned over the hand written and typed word have dramatically improved recently. Some folks better assimilate and learn by/through different senses/sensory inputs preferring psychologically one sense or combination of them over others. Yeah, I get sleepy too reading yet may have a much long attention span watching TV or a computer vid.

Solution minded rather than complaint and fault finding minded.

Ouila- Attention spans increased, verbosity solution-ing, info overload solution-ing, info and education assimilated. FWIW, these tech devices and chunk it down approaches are used by those pursing intensive knowledge wher it ahs to be quickly assimilated - like, engineers, those seeking law degrees, M.D. seekers with info overload, LEO's that not only read but use audio, scientists with advanced degrees, the military, gov't(info overloaded), Intelligence Gathering Operatives, etc, even lowly UL LD hikers and Landscape Designers and data crunching Statistic Mathematicians, Data Miners, those with hard to read grammatical abilities/lack of them, etc

Why do you suppose WB website designers wrote Post Quick Reply on the tab? I can do this with many shorter posts too. But, who wants to read post after post after post of mainly my thread hogging. We all have something valuable to contribute.
    I have a very short attention span when watching TV, videos, or reading on my devices. 2-3 min of youtube is as long as I can take. Yet, I’m currently reading every word of Sandor Katz’s the Art of Fermentation, 450+ pgs, as well as several other books. Audiobooks and podcasts are awesome because it allows one to multitask.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++