WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Tent size

Default Tent size

My tent is a 114" hexatent, weighs 22oz and is very easy to carry and live in.
    Is my tent to large to take on the Appalachian Trail?

It appears you have not backpacked before?

Quote Originally Posted by DuckChuck View Post
    It appears you have answered your own question? Light weight, easy to carry, and live in. Is this for a thru hike or section hike? So what kind of answers are you looking for? Ground space availability the only logical question left eh?

No, not at all.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I don't think so (realize I say this based on my camping experience in GSMNP and a thru hike of the JMT, never hiked the AT other than thru GSMNP).

When you include staking out the vestibules of typical 2P tents, your hexatent isn't that different.

An example of a popular light weight tent would be the BA-Copper Spur UL2. It's small 2 person tent, but I love and use it for a roomy 1 person tent.
    Once staked out, the tent covers a ground area that is roughly squished hexagon that's about 100" wide and 90" tall.
    That means, compared to someone in a Copper Spur, you'll need ground space that is about 1' wider and 2' taller.

That's a pretty big tent. There are times you have to squeeze into a pretty small area, which is why I prefer a tent with a small footprint. Pyramid shaped tents take up too much space IMOHO. That's why I stopped using my SMD Lunar solo and replaced it with the Trekker. If I can find a place big enough to lay down in, the Trekker will fit.

Stick to shelter areas and get there early to find a good wide open space to use that circus tent.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

That's completely doable. Actually, that sounds like a great tent for a thru hike.
    I used the Lightheart Gear Solong 6 on my thru hike, which is 100" wide and almost 2 pounds (~32 oz).
    Your tent is only 14 inches longer than the Solong 6, and I had no problem whatsoever finding enough room to set up camp at any shelters or campsites.
    Don't worry whether its free standing or not. Some people prefer free standing but its not absolutely necessary for an AT thru hike.
    Frankenstein - 2014 GAME
    www.trailjournals.com/kylezontheat

That sounds like a great tent. I've thru hiked twice, sometimes tented near shelters, and often tented other places. I can't think of any place I tented that your tent would not also fit. I suspect you will be the envy of some hikers with your spacious environment, especially on a rainy day when some folks wait for the rain to let up before heading out for the day. 22 ounces is a fantastically light weight for a tent on the AT.
    Renais
    Trail name Catnapper

++ New Posts ++