Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Leo, you would be better off using a canister stove like the ones described in the above comments.
    (Not me in the video talking.)

For cold weather I still turn to my SVEA Optimus (123). It's about as bomb proof as white gas stoves can get and is compact. There's a little learning curve on proper lighting (priming) but it's a great little stove for winter.

Edit: Ah, missed it was already mentioned by Venchka
    Last edited by Crossbar; 01-28-2020 at 23:23. Reason: Already mentioned

@zelph:
    My problem is that I just hate canister stoves <G>
    BTW, love your videos!

@Crossbar:
    Unfortunately, the Svea doesn't burn car gas.

It seems to be zeroing in to some MSR, maybe the International.

I burned car gas in My Svea123. Maybe thats why it exploded after several years.

Guess the issue with car gas is sot or deposits inside the system.

How did it "explode"? Isn't there a pressure release valve?

The SVEA will handle reg gas just fine you just dont want to do it all the time. It has a built in needle that will clean the jet when you operate the valve. I’ve used gasoline in mine numerous times in a pinch.

Hello Leo,

Take a second look at the Primus Omni Fuel. I've owned one for a couple years. It comes with three orifices that burn a variety of liquid fuels, except alcohol. Its fuel line is quite flexible, allowing it to fold compactly into the burner's legs. I like the way it shuts off by flipping the fuel bottle over; the fuel bottle is depressurized and the fuel line is purged. It may be an added convenience for you that its a European product.

Thank you John.
    Sounds reasonable.

On a friends advice I took the stove apart and cleaned it. It was never the same afterwards. After it exploded in flame I never trusted it again and at some point later sold it. Up until I cleaned it it worked great and I loved that simple little stove. Now I use an MSR stove in the winter and a Snow peak canister stove for 3 season use. Occasionally I will use my Bushbuddy wood burning stove for the simplicity and pure pleasure from it.

I used unleaded gas in my SVEA for my first AT hike. Never had any problems, just cleaned the orifice after every use. I switched to a Coleman Apex witch I still use when I go winter hiking. The Coleman is a multi fuel stove.
    More walking, less talking.

Clueless Weekender Another Kevin's Avatar
    Journal Entries

I have an MSR Universal, and it does burn motor gas. And I most often use it with an inverted canister instead, because it's so very finicky to prime. Maybe I need lessons.

In warmer weather, I bring a popcan stove and denatured alcohol. I switch to the Universal only when it looks as if I might have to melt snow, which goes through an unbelievable amount of fuel. You can kill 12 ounces of gasoline just melting 4 liters of water a day for drinking - and I'll go through that much water if I'm on snowshoes, which is hard work.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++