WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Images

Default why do people use shelters

why do people use shelters
    cons
    1.they can be crowed
    2.mice infested
    3.wooded floor not comfortable.
    4.no privacy
    5.plus almost every murder on the AT took place in a shelter
    6.plus they cost money to build and maintain
    neo

Why? Because hammocks suck.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Because they are there, and just another part of the great Trail experience.

Because it beats packing up a rain sodden tent/hammok/tarp!
    RLC_GA
    GAME->89

Quote Originally Posted by neo
    why do people use shelters
    cons
    1.they can be crowed
    2.mice infested
    3.wooded floor not comfortable.
    4.no privacy
    5.plus almost every murder on the AT took place in a shelter
    6.plus they cost money to build and maintain
    neo
    1) Never seen a crow in a shelter.
    2) Some shelters have snakes.
    3) The roof is the issue, not the floor.
    4) Privacy, who cares about that?
    5) Your chance of murder on the AT is "almost" the same as being attacked by a shark. There's no reason for that to be on any list.
    6) It's not your money so shut up

Your welcome.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16
    Why? Because hammocks suck.

That's right I agree 100%

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man
    That's right I agree 100%
    Neo's topic is why stay in a shelter...nothing to do with hammocks, unless you just don't like Neo's hkking style. Neo correctly listed cons..anbody got pros?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by stag3
    Neo's topic is why stay in a shelter...nothing to do with hammocks, unless you just don't like Neo's hkking style. Neo correctly listed cons..anbody got pros?
    thanks,another problem,hikers become to dependent on shelters ,i have strung my hammock in the middle of no were,in major storms,with no problems neo

Images

this is just another thread created by neo to try and put down anyone who doesn't use a hammock. It is thinly disguised as a thread questioning shelter use. Everyone who has been on Whitleblaze for any length of time knows that neo can't understand why everyone doesn't want to use a hammock. That being said, some of his points concerning shelters are valid, though exagerated. Shelters are a gathering place after a long day of hiking. A time to enjoy a meal with others, to swap stories and just enjoy the company of other hikers. Some of my most positive memories from my trips on the A.T. are the folks I've shared a shlelter with.

I hardly ever stay in a shelter but most of the time I set up a tent near a shelter so that I can use the tables. Also when hiking in the rain it is nice to be able to stop at one and eat lunch.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Teatime
    this is just another thread created by neo to try and put down anyone who doesn't use a hammock. It is thinly disguised as a thread questioning shelter use. Everyone who has been on Whitleblaze for any length of time knows that neo can't understand why everyone doesn't want to use a hammock. That being said, some of his points concerning shelters are valid, though exagerated. Shelters are a gathering place after a long day of hiking. A time to enjoy a meal with others, to swap stories and just enjoy the company of other hikers. Some of my most positive memories from my trips on the A.T. are the folks I've shared a shlelter with.
    soltitude is more positive,we spend enough time with people as it is neo

I sense that Neo is about to post 10+ pictures of his hammock for no reason.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Riddick
    I sense that Neo is about to post 10+ pictures of his hammock for no reason.
    no,this has nothing to do with hammocks,i just believe not many hikers like to be independent,they count to much on convenence, neo

Man, y'all create 10x Neo's spam by responding to his messages with more spam. At least stay on topic!

Shelters are ok...they usually come with a good water source and a table for the evening chores. Great for a quick duck in out of the rain instead of getting unpacked. And for those times when you want to talk to people. I generally like to hike solo like you, but on a thru I'm sure I'd like some conversation more often. But for sleeping, I agree with you - it's more comfortable in a hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay
    5) Your chance of murder on the AT is "almost" the same as being attacked by a shark.
    There are sharks on the trail now ?!?!?

Shelter sharks!!! Run for your lives!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Teatime
    Shelters are a gathering place after a long day of hiking. A time to enjoy a meal with others, to swap stories and just enjoy the company of other hikers. Some of my most positive memories from my trips on the A.T. are the folks I've shared a shlelter with.
    I agree. Sometimes I will sleep in a shelter, but if someone else is there I set up the tent. [Why would anyone want to hammock? ] I still like to hang at the shelter, tend a fire, and chat with the others hanging there. Met some very nice people on last year's section, one group from London and another group of locals who left us some trail magic (beer and snacks) the next day!

Images

That was a pro didn't you understand? I couldn't care less about Neo's hiking style or where he sleeps. Hike your own hike & sleep where you want to sleep. I wasn't saying it to put down Neo or anyone else who uses a Hammock,just stating that " I " think Hammocks suck. If everybody on the trail was sleeping in Hammocks that would make me happy because it would leave more room for me in the Shelter. My Pro is and I'll spell it out for you, in a shelter you don't have to set it up and put it back in your pack wet. It's warmer, easier to get out of and in "than a Hammock" or a tent. (In my opinion)

Stag. Ever hear of irony? And for the record, I spent a few nights in an Ed Speer hammock just last week. Hence the ==>

Pros of shelters?

Nice in the rain.
    You can often meet good folks at them.
    I like to read the occasional shelter register.
    Great place for a mid-day break - especially if its raining.
    Nice place for a mid-day nap.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++