WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Hughes Gap parking

going to be parking at Hughes Gap in Tennessee for an over night trip, does this area have an issue with car break ins?

thanks

Journal Entries

Link below to Tennessee part of Rohland's list. Sections 7 and 8 have an endpoint at Hughes Gap. The info for this parking area is slightly different between the two sections. One of them lists a break-in in 2006. That's 14 years ago, not exactly recent.

If you click on the photo at the far left of the list (before clicking on an individual section), you can see photos of the parking area and trail.

http://rohland.homedns.org:8008/AT/S...enu.aspx?id=10

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Link below to Tennessee part of Rohland's list. Sections 7 and 8 have an endpoint at Hughes Gap. The info for this parking area is slightly different between the two sections. One of them lists a break-in in 2006. That's 14 years ago, not exactly recent.

If you click on the photo at the far left of the list (before clicking on an individual section), you can see photos of the parking area and trail.

http://rohland.homedns.org:8008/AT/S...enu.aspx?id=10

thanks for the website

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Its a remote location.

I personally heard of bears getting into cars at that location over the years.

I would contact Mountain Harbor or Greasy Creek Friendly about parking.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking View Post
    Its a remote location.

I personally heard of bears getting into cars at that location over the years.

I would contact Mountain Harbor or Greasy Creek Friendly about parking.

thank you for the information

I've parked there (overnight) several times without incident.
    Sometimes it gets a bit crowded.
    I've been told from those familiar with the area to park at the gap, not in any nearby areas that look like they have space for a car.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

There's not a lot of space but we've shuttled many-many hikers who've parked there without incident. An alternative would be to park at Greasy Creek Hostel just a few trail/road miles away.

Quote Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
    going to be parking at Hughes Gap in Tennessee for an over night trip, does this area have an issue with car break ins?

thanks
    From the 2020 edition of WhiteBlaze Pages guidebook (https://www.whiteblazepages.com/stor...e-pages-books/) :

The Greasy Creek Friendly (hostel), (828-688-9948), offers overnight parking for $2/night, but this may be just for hikers who stay there, or use their shuttle service.

Mountain Harbour Hostel, ((866-772-9494), offers overnight parking for $10/night, $2/night, if you use their shuttle.

Best bet is to give them a call and make some arrangements before you go.

The GPS coordinates for the Hughes Gap Road parking area are: 36.13680, -82.14100

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

++ New Posts ++