WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

We got to listen to an assault on Hightower Gap a couple of years ago. The following morning we found loads of stuff....knife, ammo clip, fabric pieces, .... all kinds of evidence of where they'd been maneuvering. That's only .5 from Hawk Mtn Shelter, so it sounded like they were invading us until about 10pm
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    Dummy rounds do NOT "fire". Possibly you found a "tracer round" used for night fire?
    D'oh. Just remembering that the system that the .mil uses uses an "special" round, can't remember what it's called. But it does actually "fire" in that it will "work" the bolt causing the empty casing to eject and a new round to feed. There's a suppressor on the end of the rifle when they use it as some debris does leave the barrel. Also there is a device put on the rifle and the "combatants" wear a harness/vest with "receptors" kind of like "laser tag."

But a dummy round is not the same thing. No powder, no primary, and does not work the action, eject and feed a round.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Journal Entries
    Images

It was probably a blank 7.62 round, either loose from a belt for an M-60 machine gun or ( unlikely ) from an M-14 rifle magazine. No bullet but a paper disk sealing the end. Both weapons are operated by the gases from the gunpowder to drive the bolt back and chamber another round. Since there is no bullet going down the barrel to contain the gases both weapons need a blank firing adapter on the muzzle to do that.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Quote Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
    It was probably a blank 7.62 round, either loose from a belt for an M-60 machine gun or ( unlikely ) from an M-14 rifle magazine. No bullet but a paper disk sealing the end. Both weapons are operated by the gases from the gunpowder to drive the bolt back and chamber another round. Since there is no bullet going down the barrel to contain the gases both weapons need a blank firing adapter on the muzzle to do that.
    Yes thank you! I couldn't think of the word "blank." And the blank firing adapter.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

If you are at Camp Merrill and you cross the landing strip, there are a couple of trails that lead back to Cooper Gap rd. One of them likely still comes out in the area of Hightower Gap, very near Hawk Mountain. This is the Mountain Ranger School and the woods will get a lot of use when the camp is in session. It is also why the Army will park a couple of water trailers along Cooper Cap rd during the dry months.

If you want to find more fired and unfired 5.56mm cartridges, if you are on the trail at Justus Creek, go right (south) toward the old path of the AT. There is a fire trail that will take you to an area called Devil's Kitchen which is close to Cooper Gap rd/Blue Ridge Rd. The trail was re-routed a number of year ago in part to reduce over-use and to get away from an area where there was some significant overnight partying.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I was on the Knife Edge at BSP heading to the summit once when we saw the shadows and thought we heard thunder, next thing we knew two A-10s one after another came into the Chimney Pond basin from the east and then headed up over the summit. That terrain hugging radar they use is truly impressive.
    I may be wrong, but I don’t think the A-10 has terrain following radar. I believe they use the Mark-1 eyeball.

I dont claim to be an A-10 expert, I have just seen them run really close to the tree tops and pull off some very impressive changes in altitude.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++