WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

When we were slacking through the area years ago we were driving along the service road on the other side of the ridge and encountered a bunch of Army vehicles parked in pulll out. They had grilles set up and told us that the games were scheduled that evening. We ran into a hiker the next day on the Benton McKaye trail and he mentioned that he had just set up camp the night before and there was small war going on for an hour or so that evening.

A other year we were hiking just sotuh of Swatera Gap in PA and while hiking along one particular ridge line we would see shadows and an couple of A10s would come roaring by a couple of seconds later just over the treetops and then a few second like that a very distinct brap of what I think were gattling guns. Very impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    ......A other year we were hiking just sotuh of Swatera Gap in PA and while hiking along one particular ridge line we would see shadows and an couple of A10s would come roaring by a couple of seconds later just over the treetops and then a few second like that a very distinct brap of what I think were gattling guns. Very impressive.
    We were backpacking in Arkansas years ago and had a similar experience with A-10's. We were up on a ridge when we heard them coming but I was surprised that they were flying below us in the valley between ridges. They made a number of passes through the valley and over the ridge we were on just over the treetops very close to us. It was a Saturday so I wondered if they were National Guard. No gun fire though.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    A other year we were hiking just sotuh of Swatera Gap in PA and while hiking along one particular ridge line we would see shadows and an couple of A10s would come roaring by a couple of seconds later just over the treetops and then a few second like that a very distinct brap of what I think were gattling guns. Very impressive.
    A10 is the most bada$$ of all the f/a jets imo. You hear about the gun, but you don't appreciate it until you see how truly massive it is!:
    https://www.businessinsider.com/size...hog-gun-2016-7
    It is what it is.

++ New Posts ++