WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default north jersey AT camping advice

Ive recently gotten into camping and me and a few friends are looking to go some time this year but we arent entirely sure of the legality of where we are and where we arent allowed to set up camp and the campfire restrictions. We plan on starting our hike around lake parker off of the warwick turnpike in Hewitt NJ. For context, im about 5 minutes from nyc in jersey, this area seemed like a good area to start because it isnt too far from where i live but if any of you know of a better spot on the AT to start a hike and set up camp somewhere im open to suggestions. doesnt even have to be on the AT, as long as it isnt a paid camping grounds kind of thing. thanks for any and all replies!

Go to New York-New Jersey Trail Conference web site. They may be able to answer your questions. also, they have excellent maps.

Try Wayawanda State Park. The AT shelter is about a 20 minute walk from the HQ parking lot. The HQ lot is where you would get addition water if needed and has toilets.
    The shelter has a bear box, tenting and privy.

Along the AT camping is only allowed at desginated sites and campfires are not allowed in NJ. State parks may allow campfires.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

In New Jersey...
    You must camp at a site AT LEAST 50ft from the trail
    You must camp at least 150ft from a water source or roadway
    Open fires are not permitted in Worthington, Stokes, High Point or Wawayanda State Parks
    (although you might make the argument that you didn't think a stone fire ring is considered an "open" fire")
    Delaware Water Gap NATIONAL Recreation Area has other "similar rules" but tends to be less patrolled.

Oh - I should mention that there are a lot of campsite areas along side trails in all the state parks. While they are not maintained (like the AT shelters or Backpacker sites), there are quite a few....the best ones are marked with rusty old metal signs that used to say No Camping, No Fires, No Alcohol (No Fun?)
    ...just a regular guy
    Stomping around in the woods allows me to lose the stresses of everyday life while finding myself

http://www.summitpost.org/show/mount...untain_id/5055

https://www.appalachiantrail.org/hom...hiking/camping

Lots of good info for first time AT hikers here. Scroll to bottom of the page for a summary of AT camping regulations.

Cosmo

If you are willing to drive a little further, I suggest parking at High Point State Park in NJ. The AT runs right through it, North--South. You could park at High Point Headquarters (probably a daily fee) and hike about 2.9 miles South on the AT. You will pass 3 nice rocky ledges with sweet views and then drop down to Rutherford Shelter, which is off a .3 mile or so blue blaze trail from the AT. There is decent water there via streams and plenty of grassy space for tenting or just sleeping in the small shelter. Pretty quiet spot. My cousin and I hiked a 30 mile section and stayed at Rutherford shelter on the first night of our trip. This was the weekend after Thanksgiving in 2019, so real cold and quiet. We saw almost no one the whole time. Plenty of space and firewood. There was a well-used fire ring there at the shelter. You could even hike further South if you wanted through more woods or day hike North through High Point SP and check out the big monument and platform with more good views.
    I've hiked a bunch of AT sections and I think the NJ portion is underrated. Really good views and mostly easy trail. If you can avoid the peak crowd times (Holidays, summer weekends) it's a great little 1 or 2 night trip for camping and/or backpacking.
    Have fun out there!

Images

New York's Harriman State Park isn't too far, has plenty of parking, has legal camping, the AT runs through it, there's plenty of places to get water, there are shelters, and hundreds of miles of trails.

No fee to park at High Point SP. There pop is a designated AT parking lot just down the road from the HQ. you must register your car at HQ but it is free parking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++