WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Section hike SOBO NJ

I'm planning to section SOBO from somewhere near the NY/NJ border back to Delaware Water Gap, PA. Finding it a bit difficult to find a drop off area in NY? I'd like to complete the state of NJ. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I haven't hiked over the border yet, but I have done a lot of research for a future trip. I have hiked Bear Mt North, and High Point SP South, but I have a 66 mile gap there.

You could start at either Bear Mountain Inn (Mile 1405.6) or Elk Pen Parking West of Harriman SP (Mile 1387.0). Both are accessible by train and a short Uber. The next entry point by train would be High Point SP (1338.9), which is a fairly short Uber from Port Jervis, but that would not allow you to finish NJ.

There doesn't seem to be much in between. You could call George Lightcap, who shuttles in the area and could give you better advice. I recommend using him for shuttles, as I have done in the past.

I plan, therefore I am Strategic's Avatar
    Images

The best drop-off spot for the NJ sections if you're headed SOBO is probably at the NY17a trailhead. There is a NJ Transit bus, Rt. 196, that runs out from NYC's Port Authority Bus Terminal along NY17a. You can request a flag stop at Kain Rd. between the Greenwood Lake and Warwick Park and Ride stations. That will let you off just across the road from the SOBO trailhead to the AT (at the Bellvale Farms Creamery.) It's probably the best way to get dropped off for these sections that I know of. I have used it myself and can tell you that it works beautifully. It's also much closer to what you're asking for than either Bear Mt. Inn or Elk Pen (which is off NY17, several miles north of NY17a.) If you're looking to take public transit or are coming from a distance away and will likely come through NYC anyway, it's a fine way to go. I did a section NOBO from there by taking a NJ Transit train up from Philadelphia (where I lived at the time), walking from Penn Station to the Port Authority in NYC and taking this bus out to the trailhead, then the Short Line bus back to NYC from Bear Mt. Inn. It was quite the eco-friendly trip.
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

There is a Park and Ride bus stop for Commuters at the south end of Greenwood Lake. This is near Brown's Point. I am not familiar with the schedule but this is only about 3 miles to the State Line trail. The S/L trail is directly across the street From Greenwood Lake Marina. When you hit the AT at the top, it is less than 100 yards to the actual state line. You could walk the 3 miles, get a cab or Uber or ask someone to shuttle you. I live in the area and would help you out as long as I am around. There are other bus stop in West Milford, NJ that may be helpful for you.

I did the hike you are planning back in 2016. It was my first section hike of the AT and got me hooked!

DM me and and let me know what your dates are and see if I can help you out.
    Trail Name: Gadget
    Completed:
    NJ - 2016
    NY- 2017
    CT - 2018
    PA, DWG to Pt Clinton - 2019
    NJ (Again) - 2020

Planned:
    PA, Pt Clinton to Duncannon - 2021
    PA, Duncannon to Pen-Mar - 2022

Thanks for the feed back guys.... I have a ride.. I was looking for the closest drop-off point to cover NJ.. I found the State Line Trail behind the Greenwood Lake marina takes you up to the AT and it is just a short hike NOBO to the NY line. I'll turn around and complete NJ SOBO...

++ New Posts ++