WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default REI Co-op Flash Air tent

I just seen this on their web site and wondered if anyone had tried it out yet and what you thought about it.

It's a brand-new tent and no one has had a chance to try it out yet in any meaningful way.

r/ultralight thread for more commentary.

It looks very much like my SMD Trekker tent, but with a different way of holding it up with the poles. The Trekker has the poles inside, the Flash Air has them on the outside. Not sure I like that idea.

It's a couple of ounces lighter then the Trekker, but it might be smaller. The Trekker is a bit tight. Most of what is in my pack comes in with me, but the pack stays outside.

Anyway, I like the A frame design, I find it easier to find a spot to set it up then the conical pyramid shaped tents.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I will be interested in hearing some reviews on it after people use it for a while.

It looked like they tried to design the 2P one to be held up with just one vertical pole, yet avoid being lopsided like the lunar solo. Somehow that pole holds up a horizontal roof-spreading piece that appears to be unsupported at the back side. If so, there's got to be a great deal of stress on the bend in that L-shaped connection.

Good for them, though. It's nice to have a brick and mortar retailer selling trekking pole supported tents that you could conceivably check out in person before buying.

That’s what I thought also. I want a trekking pole tent but hate to pay all that money and then if it doesn’t work for me I’d be stuck with it. I would feel way better buying it with their return policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post
    It looked like they tried to design the 2P one to be held up with just one vertical pole, yet avoid being lopsided like the lunar solo.
    It's a little hard to see, but it does use two poles. The first picture shows it set up with carbon fiber poles. The second picture they replaced the CF pole with a trekking pole in the foreground, but left the CF pole on the back side.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

++ New Posts ++