WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default PA-183 to Bear Mountain over 12 days late April early May

I plan to section hike 200 miles NOBO from PA-183 to Bear Mountain over 12 days in late April/early May. This will be my longest hike so far. (I have completed Daleville VA to PA-183 in sections, longest was 130 miles over 8 days). I plan to resupply in DWG.

Any advice is appreciated. In particular, info about (1) any long stretches without water; (2) potential for cold weather that time of year; and (3) opportunities to buy food near the trail to avoid having to carry every meal, particularly on the DWG to Bear Mountain portion. I understand that there are several opportunities to buy food in that section, so I may be able to save food weight on the second half of this hike.

Thanks!

Got a guide book like the Whiteblaze pages? That would answer all your questions.

My experience hiking that section in late April/early May (several times) is chilly, wet and muddy. Lots of rain, highs in the 50's.

Resupply at the DWG is marginal - there is one gas station junk food store. The outfitter carries hiker food, but they don't open until Memorial day, so that's no help. You'd be better off going to Wind Gap, a mile or two down the road, a day before DWG.

There are a few places you can score a meal not too far off the trail. Get a guide book.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Not sure about points 1 and 2, but I hiked that exact section SB last May, and did stop for a meal at a number of places, and found them all good.

Mohican Outdoor Center (mile 1306)
    Culver’s Gap NJ (mile 1324) Mountain House
    Unionville, NY (mile 1347) Annabels Pizza

These were each within about a half mile of the trail.

I also stopped for a drink at Heaven Hill Farm (mile 1359) right by the trail.

There were other opportunities for resupply further North but I did not partake. As previous post recommended, a guidebook is a good idea.
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

You can resupply at Vernon, NJ. DWG does not have long term supply. You can also resupply at Warwick, NY. Weather? Cold, wet windy. Get at least 20 degree sleeping bag and rain gear. And be careful, some starches of the trail, especially in NJ, can be quite isolated.

I wasted my time going to the Mohican center in early May. Nobody around, locked up tight. It was a weekday, so maybe that was the issue. A lot of these places don't get going until later in the month.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

++ New Posts ++