WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

:banana Off trail info in Guthook

I'm looking to find out how much "off trail" info is included in the Guthook app for the AT.
    Specifically, does it give you info and directions to places you can get mail drops, stay for the night, shuttles, shopping, laundry, showers, restaurants, etc. ?
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Don't penny-pitch on this.... it has all and everything you are asking and much more. IMHO I believe it greatly compliments the AT Guide and they both provide all the essential elements of information you need to hike the AT. I'm a dinosaur and not techy but sure do like it.

Guthook is pretty good about showing food, post offices, and lodging. For things like shuttles, outfitters that accept mail drops, or shower facilities you have to search through the comments (which can be dependent on cell reception.) Directions and off trail distance are depicted in the map.

I agree with Grunt, it's a great supplement to a hardcopy trail guide.

I would go Guthooks and the Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook from here. 2018, I used Guthooks on Trail and the AWOL Guide but pre downloaded Resupply and Distance mileage that I pulled from here, that are now part of Atrolls guide. IMHO
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

I prefer the AWOL Guide in PDF format for pre-trip planning and you can easily see all the data for a town (hostels, motels, restaurants, shuttle drivers, map, hours etc...), or 30 miles of trail, on a single page. I think of it as my macro level planner.

On the trail, it's Guthooks for sure. Lots of valuable info in the comments. I think of it as my micro-level guide.
    It is what it is.

I used the AWOL guide .pdf and that was good enough to get me through my thru. It's definitely the more "straight forward" approach from point a to point b though and doesn't show things like that little side trail to the waterfalls (everyone's favorite) where Guthooks does in the cases I've seen. There was always someone around who had either the guidebook or Guthooks, so we shared information. Both have tons of great info, but in my opinion, don't get caught up too much on knowing everything. Part of the fun is exploring the little towns. For off trail info, one of the best features I've found is the comments section. It's almost a live feed in some cases (water is good here, too many at this campsite, check out the falls it's worth it...), etc.
    - Trail name: Thumper

Images

Somehow I was under the impression that the off-trail info in guthook was virtually the same as that in AWOL??? I could be wrong, but it sure seemed like it is when using both in past years. I always like having a small section of AWOL in my pocket, turned to the right page, a quick glance is easier than pulling out phone, swiping that on then getting to GH app. The two compliment each other nicely.

++ New Posts ++