WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    You can NOT refill your water from natural water sources within Guadalupe. The water sources are protected.
    wow, really? In three trips there I never saw any signs about not collecting water in the backcountry. But you sure seem certain, so I don't doubt this. Still, I'd ask at MC ranger station to be sure, in case rules have changed.

No big deal, last source of water is only 3 miles or less along the way, so take one more liter each.

https://www.nps.gov/gumo/faqs.htm

Is there water available along park trails?
    No, potable water is not available for human consumption on any of the hiking trails. Water is available at trailheads and visitor centers. To stay hydrated, you will need to take at least one gallon of water per person per day when hiking.

What is the entrance fee?
    There is a $5.00 per person entrance fee for visitors 16 years of age and older; this fee is good for 7 days. You can self-pay at any park trailhead. There is no charge for coming to one of the visitor centers. A National Park Annual Pass, Senior Pass, Access Pass, Annual 4th Grade Pass, Annual Military Pass, or Volunteer Pass covers entrance fees and may be clearly displayed on the vehicle dashbooard to cover entrance fees. All passes allow free entrance for the passholder and three visitors 16 years and older.

What does it cost to camp?
    The cost is $8 per night for an individual site. There is a self-pay, self-registration station near the campground restrooms. (not sure if this applies to backcountry sites)

https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Images

https://www.nps.gov/gumo/faqs.htm

Is there water available along park trails?
    No, potable water is not available for human consumption on any of the hiking trails. Water is available at trailheads and visitor centers. To stay hydrated, you will need to take at least one gallon of water per person per day when hiking.

What is the entrance fee?
    There is a $5.00 per person entrance fee for visitors 16 years of age and older; this fee is good for 7 days. You can self-pay at any park trailhead. There is no charge for coming to one of the visitor centers. A National Park Annual Pass, Senior Pass, Access Pass, Annual 4th Grade Pass, Annual Military Pass, or Volunteer Pass covers entrance fees and may be clearly displayed on the vehicle dashbooard to cover entrance fees. All passes allow free entrance for the passholder and three visitors 16 years and older.

What does it cost to camp?
    The cost is $8 per night for an individual site. There is a self-pay, self-registration station near the campground restrooms. (not sure if this applies to backcountry sites)

uh, that first quote is referring to potable water, what has that got to do with restrictions about gathering and treating a couple liters out of mckittrick creek?

And sure, most of the NP's that I've backpacked in charge a per-day price for the BC permits, and I do believe that $8 does apply to the BC sites, I just don't remember for sure, even though I was just there. The "car camping" site at Pine springs is more like $20/night, though with a NP pass, that reduces it by half. I just paid $34 for a two-nighter in the Grand Canyon, which kind of surprised me, I think that one has gone up.
    Last edited by colorado_rob; 02-28-2020 at 08:36.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    uh, that first quote is referring to potable water, what has that got to do with restrictions about gathering and treating a couple liters out of mckittrick creek?

And sure, most of the NP's that I've backpacked in charge a per-day price for the BC permits, and I do believe that $8 does apply to the BC sites, I just don't remember for sure, even though I was just there. The "car camping" site at Pine springs is more like $20/night, though with a NP pass, that reduces it by half. I just paid $34 for a two-nighter in the Grand Canyon, which kind of surprised me, I think that one has gone up.
    I'm trying to find where I read that the water is a protected resource reserved for the animals of the region. I had never seen that before so I know I read it. Will search my books. My map sort of alludes to it but doesn't state it as clearly as I recall so it must have been elsewhere. I will keep looking. It may have been the website too.

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Found it!

Protect and Conserve Water Resources
    Water is a precious and finite resource in Guadalupe Mountains National Park. Recognized as such, it is strictly prohibited to disturb any water source in any way. As you enter the backcountry, be prepared by carrying at least one gallon of water per person per day, and do not carry a filter to take advantage of springs or seeps.
    https://www.nps.gov/gumo/planyourvisit/minimpact.htm

Images

Found it!

Protect and Conserve Water Resources
    Water is a precious and finite resource in Guadalupe Mountains National Park. Recognized as such, it is strictly prohibited to disturb any water source in any way. As you enter the backcountry, be prepared by carrying at least one gallon of water per person per day, and do not carry a filter to take advantage of springs or seeps.
    https://www.nps.gov/gumo/planyourvisit/minimpact.htm
    Aha! There you go, thanks for sharing that, I looked and couldn't find it. Good to know. There is really only 1 single place in GNP to get water anyway, specifically that MC creek, so really that restriction has little effect on backpacking in GNP.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++