WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default What weather App are you using?

I have been using Radar Now (android) for sometime. Very light for your phone and doesn't drain your battery. I like because it shows me the moving weather radar for my location. You can put in a location or let it use GPS. it will give you a forecast, but the temps will be for lower elevations, so you would have to adjust. I use it mostly for the Radar.
    What are you using, why?
    ______
    /l ,[____],
    l---L -OlllllllO-
    ()_) ()_)--o-)_)

Appalachian Trail Weather. It gives you the forecast for every shelter on the trail.

Like tonight at Blood mountain shelter, it will be clear with a low around 30. Sunday, partly sunny, high near 49. Sunday night, 50 percent chance of showers after 1 am, low around 38. And so on.

I find it to be reasonably accurate, considering it's being extrapolated.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Appalachian Trail Weather. It gives you the forecast for every shelter on the trail. Like tonight at Blood mountain shelter, it will be clear with a low around 30. Sunday, partly sunny, high near 49. Sunday night, 50 percent chance of showers after 1 am, low around 38. And so on.
    I find it to be reasonably accurate, considering it's being extrapolated.

For me that is the most important thing. Is that a web site or an app? If I can see a shower coming, I can get my gear ready. unless I'm expecting rain everything is inside my pack. If rain is coming, I can put my poncho under the brain where I can get it without taking my pack off. I just don't like to have it there all the time.
    ______
    /l ,[____],
    l---L -OlllllllO-
    ()_) ()_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by V Eight View Post
    For me that is the most important thing. Is that a web site or an app? If I can see a shower coming, I can get my gear ready. unless I'm expecting rain everything is inside my pack. If rain is coming, I can put my poncho under the brain where I can get it without taking my pack off. I just don't like to have it there all the time.
    App

https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    App

The app is not available for iOS as far as I can find. The website is — and also covers the PCT. It’s done by a proper meteorologist who’s is also an AT thruhiker from a few years ago: Pat Jones, ‘Zen’, 2915. https://www.atweather.org

My guess is the ‘app’ is actually a ‘wrapper’ for the website. To my mind, this means that either way, you need a data connection — and that you get the same weather results.

I’m impressed!

(I personally use RadarScope. I pay for a premium set of options. It is by far the best radar app, with so many more options than any other radar app. It does NOT do predictions/forecasts, but is outstanding for being able to track INCOMING storms on a locally fine scale. This is especially useful for thunderstorms and tornadoes, and for snow squalls for northerners.)

For forecasts and predictions, Wunderground has merit. I use it, as well as Windy.

(Windy shows multiple underlying models upon which media forecasts are based. Full of geeky detail!)

You need a data connection no matter what weather or radar app your using, so that's a given.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

:banana

Quote Originally Posted by V Eight View Post
    I have been using Radar Now (android) for sometime. Very light for your phone and doesn't drain your battery. I like because it shows me the moving weather radar for my location. You can put in a location or let it use GPS. it will give you a forecast, but the temps will be for lower elevations, so you would have to adjust. I use it mostly for the Radar.
    What are you using, why?
    Very low-tech...a rock:

Weather forecasting rock 02222020.jpg

Following instructions on how to use the weather forecasting rock come from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weather_rock

Instructions for "analyzing" weather with the weather stone (rock):

• If the rock is wet, it's raining.
    • If the rock is swinging, the wind is blowing.
    • If the rock casts a shadow, the sun is shining.
    • If the rock does not cast a shadow and is not wet, the sky is cloudy.
    • If the rock is difficult to see, it is foggy.
    • If the rock is white, it is snowing.
    • If the rock is coated with ice, there is a frost.
    • If the ice is thick, it's a heavy frost.
    • If the rock is bouncing, there is an earthquake.
    • If the rock is under water, there is a flood.
    • If the rock is warm, it is sunny.
    • If the rock is missing, there was a tornado.
    • If the rock is wet and swinging violently, there is a hurricane.
    • If the rock can be felt but not seen, it is night time.
    • If the rock has white splats on it, watch out for birds.
    • If there are two rocks, stop drinking, you are drunk.

Weather rocks will also sometimes include rules for proper maintenance of the system such as, "Please do not disturb the weather rock, it is a finely tuned instrument!"

String Variation

• If the string is on fire then there is a bushfire.

If you need to consult a weather forecasting rock, here are some locations where they may be found:

Weather rocks are located all over the world. Some examples include:

• Camp Wolfeboro, a Boy Scout summer camp in Arnold, California

• The Donner's Pass Historic Site, near Lake Tahoe, CA

• Outside the McDonald's restaurant in Lithgow, NSW, Australia

• Tenterfield in NSW, Australia

• Oostdorp, the Netherlands

• Nature Camp in Vesuvius, Virginia

• The Kia Kima Scout Reservation in Hardy, Arkansas -------

No need to worry about battery drain and the unit (rock) is easily replaceable. (I know...this should be in the Humor forum. Lighten up...you'll get over it!)
    Last edited by atraildreamer; 02-24-2020 at 11:11.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

++ New Posts ++