WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

what it is said about that group/sect/cult/religion/whatever, can be said about practically any religion. That is why I'm an unapologetic atheist.

likewise i agree on both aspects...

when i first posted about doing a google search---i included that it could be compared to "let's say, the catholic church or some other religions".....

i either didnt hit "post quick reply" or it got deleted............not sure.....

"what it is said about that group/sect/cult/religion/whatever, can be said about practically any religion. That is why I'm an unapologetic atheist."

Sure, they're an easy target because they are just imperfect people preaching hope, love, and peace. Naturally, they are attacked by sad, hopeless, depressed people who have nothing to offer but darkness, death, and dust.
    Last edited by RockDoc; 02-26-2020 at 12:21.

Default What is the creepiest hostel/hotel/B&B/odging you have come across along the trail?

calm down chief... keep drinking the kool aid.

Might I suggest we reverse this thread drift before the moderators do? The topic was creepy hostels I believe, not religion.

Does the creep-factor only apply to hostels? How about shelters that gave you that skin-crawling feeling? A few years ago some friends and I headed out of Springer and planned our first night at a place called Hickory Flats. It sounded like somewhere a tent could be pitched. As it happened, I didn't get that far, but ran out of steam at Three Forks and we camped there. The next day, when we reached Hickory Flats, we were quite happy with our decision of the previous night. All three of us were wigged out by the possibility that we'd have been camping at a cemetery. (Fun playground though).
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

The Yellow Deli has some of the best food on the entirety of the AT...

The Hostel run by the Yellow Deli is probably the nicest donation based hostel on the entirety of the trail...

The over priced, frozen pizza from Mountain Crossings is more criminal.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Images

Yellow Deli.jpg

Typical August day at the Yellow Deli in Rutland
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    The over priced, frozen pizza from Mountain Crossings is more criminal.
    Hand tossed Pizzaria joints need to sell 50 pies a night to break even. Making 3 frozen pies a day for grubby hikers is not profitable no matter what. Besides, there is not such thing as bad pizza, right?

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    "what it is said about that group/sect/cult/religion/whatever, can be said about practically any religion. That is why I'm an unapologetic atheist."

Sure, they're an easy target because they are just imperfect people preaching hope, love, and peace. Naturally, they are attacked by sad, hopeless, depressed people who have nothing to offer but darkness, death, and dust.
    That's an interesting spin on it, taken only from your own imagination. Strangely enough, your belief system is not the only source of love, hope and peace in this world. Failure of other people to subscribe to your newsletter, does not mean that we have nothing to offer but darkness, death and dust.

To Teacher & Snacktime,

The thread is about creepy. It's not a very specific word. We all have different things that we find creepy. You find cemeteries creepy, some people find spiders creepy. I find a cheerful business front for a group of people affiliated with a group with proven record of criminal activity and mistreatment of children and women creepy. Creepy is a pretty broad topic.

"...does not mean that we have nothing to offer but darkness, death and dust."

Yes, you clearly have many more bad things to offer, but that's just the beginning. Sorry to interrupt the thread, but negative people arguing against positive, hopeful people who help thousands deserve push back IMO.

Images

negative people arguing against positive, hopeful people who help thousands deserve push back IMO.

i don’t find child abuse to be positive.......

They are preaching hope? They are talking about the apocalypse and Armageddon for heaven's sake

"..your belief system is not the only source of love, hope and peace in this world. Failure of other people to subscribe to your newsletter, "

Excuse me, you don't know me or my belief system. I have no newsletter. Just more false BS from the hateful looney bin. Is that all ya got, ad hominem attacks? Well, yes, that's the playbook.

BTW I don't take part in organized religion or go to any established church besides the great outdoors. But as a scientist it's obvious that entropy does not rule the world, as it should according purely to physics. There's a huge positive energy input, or your sorry ass wouldn't be here.

"..your belief system is not the only source of love, hope and peace in this world. Failure of other people to subscribe to your newsletter, "

Excuse me, you don't know me or my belief system. I have no newsletter. Just more false BS from the hateful looney bin.

BTW I don't take part in organized religion or go to any established church besides the great outdoors.
    So, now I'm hateful, full of BS, and belong in a loonybin as well. I see. Yes, you clearly have no agenda other than creating narratives of what you project onto me. Yet, you complain that I don't know you. I haven't said a single word against you. I'm speaking only to the words that you put up in this forum, in this thread. Those words are your newsletter. I don't wish to subscribe to it.

Images

Can't believe no one's mentioned Standing Bear Farm yet...
    It's all good in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by trailmercury View Post
    Ok boys, are you ballsy enough to tell us which ones you speak of, i.e. which hostels to avoid in Damascus and which one(s) you would choose if passing through in 2020?

I have never been to Damascus and I think this info would be useful.
    I've stayed at Woodchuck Hostel twice. I thought it was clean and well run; although I agree with peakbagger on one point. If you are sleeping upstairs, you don't want a fire to hit, because you aren't getting out unless you jump from the window.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Quote Originally Posted by ldsailor View Post
    I've stayed at Woodchuck Hostel twice. I thought it was clean and well run; although I agree with peakbagger on one point. If you are sleeping upstairs, you don't want a fire to hit, because you aren't getting out unless you jump from the window.
    Sleep in the Yurt

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post
    Can't believe no one's mentioned Standing Bear Farm yet...
    Major dump at least when i stayed there in 2016. They also had significant management issues, which I understand are still present, but I have no first hand knowledge of recent goings on there at the hostel. Want more info on Standing Bear? Go to my AT Blog and do a search on the hostel and you'll get the full rundown.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ldsailor View Post
    New owner in 2019....would love to hear a report from last season.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    New owner in 2019....would love to hear a report from last season.
    Stayed there August 2019 for a few nights (end of a section hike from Pearisburg to Damascus). The yurt is gone, but they have a private cabin. Hikers sleep in the ground floor in real beds (not bunks). the up stairs, i think, is for the caretaker and/or owner. The new owner, a lady from California is extremely nice. Calm and quiet.

Mountain Garden Hostel near Bland gave me the creeps.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++