WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Gorham NH to be named Appalachian trail town

I saw in the local news paper that there will be a ceremony in Gorham in March to officially designate it a trail town.

Unlike most trail towns, Gorham doesn't have festivals or activities specifically for thruhikers. Nevertheless they are in and around town from June to October as its for many the last long zero heading north after the whites and the first big town for sobos. It also is the last/first easy bus connection to civilization.
    Last edited by peakbagger; 02-27-2020 at 13:30.

Images

I know when our town (Manchester VT) was designated as an ATC trailtown, we were responsible to have an annual hiker event in town. So watch for something new in Gorham this summer.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    I know when our town (Manchester VT) was designated as an ATC trailtown, we were responsible to have an annual hiker event in town. So watch for something new in Gorham this summer.

The town could offer up a spot in the 4th of July parade. The town folk could throw Candy at them :-).

One of the selectman in town is a thru hiker from 40 years ago. He ended working for AMC after his hike and ended up living here.

Images

Is " The barn" still in Gorham. I stayed there September 15,16 and 17th 1990 on my thruhike. Was waiting for my 0 degree sleeping bag to arrive at Post Office. My 40 degree bag was not cutting it. Nice town.

Yes, The Barn is still here and still operating. Hikers Paradise is gone. Rattle River Hostel in Shelburne is the most popular place of late. White Birches Campground has a very basic hostel. The Barn and Rattle River run frequent shuttles into town.

All the hostel spaces are getting maxed out these days and the motels are usually booked on weekends with ATV traffic.
    Last edited by peakbagger; 02-27-2020 at 16:50.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Scaper View Post
    Is " The barn" still in Gorham. I stayed there September 15,16 and 17th 1990 on my thruhike. Was waiting for my 0 degree sleeping bag to arrive at Post Office. My 40 degree bag was not cutting it. Nice town.
    The Barn changed ownership a few years ago and has become a more popular hostel recently....good reviews.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

++ New Posts ++