WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default The Captains Place?

My 2020 White Blaze Pages does not show the Captions place and zip line. In the 2017 guide it was at mile 651.1 nobo. Any Body have any info on this? Zip line, camping in his yard?
    ______
    /l ,[____],
    l---L -OlllllllO-
    ()_) ()_)--o-)_)

There's some contact info in this thread if you wanted to reach out directly:
    https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/sho...-Pearisburg-VA

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    There's some contact info in this thread if you wanted to reach out directly:
    https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/sho...-Pearisburg-VA
    Thanks, I had actually participated in that thread back in 2016. Just did not know if
    the guide needed an up date to include it or if it was correct and the Captains is no longer a good stop for 2020.
    ______
    /l ,[____],
    l---L -OlllllllO-
    ()_) ()_)--o-)_)

Leonidas

There was a note last year that he was not allowing people to stay there after something happened. I don't recall the specifics.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    There was a note last year that he was not allowing people to stay there after something happened. I don't recall the specifics.
    It gained a reputation as a post trail days party spot and likely got out of hand. From stories I heard, didn't think it would last too long.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Default The Captains Place?

I stopped through on my hike in '17, he was there and seemed to be happy helping hikers that year

I didn't see the zip line when I went through in 2018 and forgot if it was on the trail then or on whiteblaze afterwards but I remember hearing he wasn't doing so well and took it down/stopped having hikers before the 2018 season. I had it highlighted in my guide as a place to check out and I was looking/excited for it!
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Images

I heard he was have significant health problems and stopped offering his property to hikers.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Quote Originally Posted by V Eight View Post
    Thanks, I had actually participated in that thread back in 2016. Just did not know if
    the guide needed an up date to include it or if it was correct and the Captains is no longer a good stop for 2020.
    Sorry - I totally missed that you'd been part of that thread.

Does anybody know where exactly this was? I know OP above mentioned MM651 back in 2017. I just did the section N from Peters Mtn Trailhead beginning at mm657 (a few miles North of Pine Swamp Branch Shelter) and there was a spot where the trail was right next to the creek and directly across from the creek was a house and yard. My thoughts were immediately if this was the Captain's Place. Just wondering if anybody knows if this is the spot?
    It is what it is.

Images

That was probably it. there used to be a small sign (3"x10") at the crossing. I suppose it's gone now.

Thanks for all the replies.
    ______
    /l ,[____],
    l---L -OlllllllO-
    ()_) ()_)--o-)_)

I did a section hike in first weekend in October of 2019 through that area. The guy was there (the house was occupied), but there was no sign for hikers. Clearly he was not "open for business." The dog was barking like hell at my dog from across the creek, so that's how I knew I had gotten to that point. Otherwise it is not totally noticeable and easy to miss. Without the barking dog, I would have walked right past without noticing it. There was no zip line that day either.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    I heard he was have significant health problems and stopped offering his property to hikers.
    That's too bad. He was very kind to my wife and I when we passed through a few years ago.

++ New Posts ++